• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 Chud

Chud

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

This is an interesting read - or at least jealousy inducing!

Standard UK policy at the moment seems to be:

Up to 20-23kg Check in baggage (per person)
1 item hand luggage* (max 5kg, 56 centimetres tall (22 inches), 45 centimetres wide (17.7 inches), 25 centimetres deep (10 inches))

However even some of the scheduled airlines are now considering going down the Ryanair route and charging for any checked in baggage.

*most airlines
Negril, Jamaica 2009 -
South Ari Atoll, Maldives 2008 -

"Underwater photography kills the diving and turns you into a self-absorbed, humourless, depressed, monomanical weirdo. You develop a strange fetish called O-Ringphilia: the obsessive cleaning and greasing of O-rings. Do you seriously think the buddy system works with underwater photographers? That an underwater photographer would drop his camera to save his buddy? Forget it! An underwater photographer would never even know if his buddy was drowning." - Jeremy Stafford-Deitsch

#42 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

Indestructable stuff goes in the checked luggage whch consists of 2 softsided regular suitcases. Housing, ports, cameras go into two carryons. 1 a pelican 1510 which will fit under the seat if you get an over zealous agent. The other is a lowepro backpack to store the bodies, laptop, lenses and regulator. I've been leaning toward replacing this with a good photogs vest and checking a few more items as to avoid the carryon weight limit discussion because it usually weighs 40lbs. Most of the times backpacks get a free pass. I've even taken to wearing the camera around my neck when boarding...very touristy look but no one seems to question it. Hmmm maybe its time to break out the parachute pants again. :)
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#43 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1172 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:58 AM

Thanks David! It's a beautiful thing. Between you and Cor I'm sensing a trend. Thanks guys

Looking at David's and Cor's solutions I bit the bullet and invested in a couple of Samsonites.

After much indecision I chose Aeris Comfort Uprights (http://www.samsonite...&od=2113835321#) for CJ and me. The Aeris Uprights have a single set of low profile wheels, not castors, which seem less likely to be damaged in transit. TSA locks and supplimentary latches are useful too. Stripped of their clothes intended linings and bags (which come out easily using 'star' keys and could be replaced if the cases were ever needed for their conventional purpose) they weigh in at a travel friendly 3.8 kgs. They easily accomodate an Ike housing and dual tray, 4" dome and flat ports, a couple of INONs and a Fisheye focus light and there's some room left for a few bits a pieces.

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#44 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1081 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Audi TTRS

www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

I have one of those new waterproof lightweight coats, it has 9 rather cleverly concealed pockets, one of the pockets is one I got tailored on, its on the lower left inside portion and will take my 13" macbook air , all the other pockets I fill with my lenses and adapters and also have my camera and one lens around my neck, when I'm thru check in, I put it all in my oakley backpack, including my coat, and nobody questions it anymore, along with the 5 kilos of toiletries my wife buys after check in in Boots, also in the same bag(s) I have my ports and housing, and strobe heads, these are wrapped in cut to suit pieces of yoga mat sponge and parcel taped up, it protects it all very well, of course I pack a spare roll of tape just in case security get curious and also for the return trip. Sad to say, its in my wife's hand luggage roller hard case as well, so only works if I am travelling with her. If I travelled on my own maybe I can let the strobe heads go in the checked luggage and just buy a bar of soap and a shaver I could be ok tho!
I got a tip of a roses tin on here once, the 8" dome port and shade fits in one of these very nicely with the lid taped down.

ETA..I also have my small lowepro in my backpack that holds the body and 3 lenses at a squeeze, when I'm past check-in

Edited by Scubysnaps, 01 February 2010 - 06:05 AM.

Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))°>

#45 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Lots of great solutions. Maybe a thread of "Who weighed your carry-on?" should be next. For us it has been Qantas 2 out of 6 times and made us repak, Air-Pacific 1 out of 4, Air Niugini 2 out of 4.

#46 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

The constant changing of the rules seems crazy and reminds me of a saying you have all likely heard before.
When I was young, the world seemed normal and people took LSD to make it appear crazy.
Now the world is crazy and people take Prozac to make it seem normal.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#47 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

Just bought one of these to be my second "carry on":

Posted Image

http://www.scotteves...avel_Vest.shtml

Since a lot of airlines are only allowing 1 carry on now for International travel.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#48 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

It is a very nice piece of gear John. Joel posted a couple of pictures of everything he stuffed into one on his recent trip to Bali. It's here if you want to take a look. about halfway down the thread.

I bought a tan one, works great with my Ipod :good:

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#49 Natalie_S

Natalie_S

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, travel

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

I used a ScottEVest on my last dive trip. I crammed a lot of stuff into it, including 2 portable hard drives, a paperback novel, glasses, sunglasses, antimalarial pills and other prescriptions, cash, tickets, boarding passes, passport, a couple of Power Bars, keys, business cards, pens, phone, etc. There was room for more. I didn`t have any issues when it passed through the x-ray machines, though one security person thought it was a bag, it had so much stuff in it.

I didn`t trust it with any lenses because the material didn`t seem thick enough to handle the weight. I put my laptop, camera, lenses, arms & clamps and macro port in my carry-on bag, and then my disassembled housing in a small camera bag.
Nikon D300 in Sea & Sea housing, 10.5 mm, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 100 mm, SubSee diopter, Woody's diopter, 2x YS-110 strobes, BossK Big Blue 170 focus light.

Underwater photos

Portraits and Fashion

#50 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

I'm on the lookout for a vest that has a slip in pocket on the back to take a 17 inch notebook from check-in through security to the plane.
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#51 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

I'm on the lookout for a vest that has a slip in pocket on the back to take a 17 inch notebook from check-in through security to the plane.

The Scotte vest will take it, It has a huge pocket in the back. You might walk funny though, and don't forget it's back there and decide to sit down quickly. :P

Steve

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#52 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

The Scotte vest will take it, It has a huge pocket in the back. You might walk funny though, and don't forget it's back there and decide to sit down quickly. :P

OK many thanks Steve I will check into them. I did just find this monster on the net - Khumbu Vest
Posted Image
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#53 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

I just packed my LowePro roller bag.
1-Complete Ikelite housing for the D-200 with ports for 60mm and 105MM, UCLS tray, 4 9" STIX arms and clamps, 2 Ikelite Ds-125 strobes and 2 Ikelite chargers, 3 Ikelite batteries and Ikelite dual and single strobe cord.
2-Complete Seatool housing for the D-300 complete with Seatool tray, 4 9" STIX arms and clamps and 2 INON Z-240 strobes. Ports for 60mm and 105mm
3-Complete Olympus housing for the e-330 with UCLS tray, Athena ttl converter plus Athena TTl converter and cord plus backup cord, UCLS arms (2) with stix floats and clamps and INON Z-240 strobe.
4-Various tools and housing cleaning stuff and multiple backup O rings plus an aluminum block and (2) Ikelite cords to convert Ikelite dual strobe setup for use with athena on the E-330 setup.

Everything is carefully packed and protected using the lowepro dividers and foam. I am off to Bali and Wakatobi in March with three complete camera setups. My wife and I have learned that a spare is necessary.

The only pieces of camera equipment I couldnt get in was the 8" Ikelite dome and the AA rechargable batteries and chargers. I still have room and am up to only 63 pounds so I can get another 7 pounds in the outside pocket.

Solution: Be an elite flyer on Continental or fly fitst class. What's the problem?.........Oh.......and find a scuba diving, picture taking wife that made lots of money and received a generous retirement. It's not so hard and she's pretty too.

#54 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

Solution: Be an elite flyer on Continental or fly fitst class. What's the problem?.........Oh.......and find a scuba diving, picture taking wife that made lots of money and received a generous retirement. It's not so hard and she's pretty too.

Now you tell me Tom......, :P

Hey Redseadiver, that vest is big enough to put all your dive gear in too. I'd hate to see the look on the poor guys face sitting next to you. Good stuff.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#55 greedo5678

greedo5678

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

Is the philippines the only country where they weigh the traveller with their carry on? My girlfriend is not a massive fan of this being generally much bigger than filipino girls and them shouting the weight out to some dude who writes it down. Never been charged for this but maybe its the way to go? Surely the weight of the person is just as important as the weight of the bag?

Olly
Kahoy EcoDivers Resort, S. Leyte, PH.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7, Canon 100, Tokina 10-17, Canon 18-55, Twin Inon Z-240s, Anthis Woody Dipotre, homemade snoot.
MY GALLERY

#56 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

I also use a vest, multiple pocket pants and multple pocket coat. I never check anything that would compromise underwater photography, which is why I donīt like Corīs or Davidīs plans. I had a Maumere - Sorong trip and Singapore airlines lost all of our (Luisa and I) check in but, thankfully, we had all the uwp gear with us along with a toothbrush :P and another guest had contact lens liquid...

I approach the counter looking like Santa Claus and, after checking in, I put everything back in a Lowepro computrekker and a thin but big bag (that was inside the lowe pro at the time of checking). Last Christmas I went all the way to Kaimana with no problem with two subtronic novas, two YS250pros, D300 hugyfot, flat and dome ports, arms, cords, chargers, lenses etc... around 30 kg carry on. Not comfortable at all but gives some peace of mind.

I would not mind very much paying for an extra check in but I just donīt trust handling companies and, the longer the trip, the worse the odds.

D300, D7000, D7100. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Issota, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#57 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:07 AM

Hey Redseadiver, that vest is big enough to put all your dive gear in too. I'd hate to see the look on the poor guys face sitting next to you. Good stuff.

Cheers,
Steve

I reckon I can fit the housing in the big pocket on the lower right, 4" dome port and a lens in the lower left pocket, a couple of more lenses and the portable hard drives in the top pocket, and I've emailed them about a detachable pocket on the back for a 17 inch notebook - they emailed back and said it should be doable. I normally put two Inon Z240's in my cargo pants pockets, along with various other bits and pieces. The rest can go in a roller carry-on.
Red Sea Dreaming....

#58 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:51 AM

I also use a vest, multiple pocket pants and multple pocket coat. I never check anything that would compromise underwater photography, which is why I donīt like Corīs or Davidīs plans. I had a Maumere - Sorong trip and Singapore airlines lost all of our (Luisa and I) check in but, thankfully, we had all the uwp gear with us along with a toothbrush :P and another guest had contact lens liquid...

I approach the counter looking like Santa Claus and, after checking in, I put everything back in a Lowepro computrekker and a thin but big bag (that was inside the lowe pro at the time of checking). Last Christmas I went all the way to Kaimana with no problem with two subtronic novas, two YS250pros, D300 hugyfot, flat and dome ports, arms, cords, chargers, lenses etc... around 30 kg carry on. Not comfortable at all but gives some peace of mind.

I would not mind very much paying for an extra check in but I just donīt trust handling companies and, the longer the trip, the worse the odds.

I can't figure out why the airlines have this stuff totally backwards. They should charge for carry-ons and allow checked luggage for free. It would free up overhead room and put most luggage in the luggage compartments and important, must-have items would be properly protected in the overhead. I'd much rather pay for my carry-ons than checked.

Edited by johnspierce, 07 February 2010 - 04:52 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#59 bkkchriss4

bkkchriss4

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

So after some thought. This is how I am traveling with my setup. Everything packed secure in a Pelican 1564 then inside a generic canvas bag. All insured of course. I could have fit everything in a carry on but dive travel is supposed to be fun... and going through customs/security is anything but fun with heavy camera equipment that has a chance of being forced into the belly of the plane anyways. I know being at your destination with no camera is no fun either, but thats a chance I am willing to take!

I try to plan my trips with a day or two pad from when I land in case of a delay in luggage. The Pelican is a bit smaller than a lot that I see people use but still has plenty of space for anything I might want to add and is great heavy duty storage at home.

UWP_PELICAN_1564.jpg

Olympus OM-D

#60 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

Very nicely done! Please let us know how it works out on the first trip. I'm curious how the security folks at LAX will react to the canvas bag covering a bunch of electronics. I'm still confused by the batteries. I've heard that some folks are getting to their location and finding the batteries have been removed. Did you consider putting them in your carry on?

Thanks for the picture and all the work to label your stuff!

Steve

The Fin Foundation