Dive stick ReRecycled dive stick

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

ReRecycled Dive Stick:

A dive stick can be truly valuable for the diver, with so many uses I won't even begin to list them.

But most sticks are skinny, difficult to hold as they lack a comfortable grip.  Also, as divers use dive sticks without a wrist cord, my buddies often find lost ones while muck diving.  The opportunity to recycle these lost and found sticks has led me, using other recycled stuff, to produce the Re-Recycled Dive Stick. I call it this as not only is the dive stick recycled, but also the other parts I have used to convert a thin stick, difficult to hold and easy to lose, into a comfortable stick, easy stick to hold and use.

As an aside, muck diving is fun not only because of the wonderful sea life one meets, but with luck can also turn into a minor treasure hunt, as my buddies and I have found lost face masks, light, lens covers, sunglasses, and even a dive computer with broken wrist strap.

ReRecycled sticks have worked well for me and several friends over several years.  I call them ReRecycled as both the dive stick and its enabling parts are recycled.

Here is how to DIY: The stick itself can be a standard stick or an aluminum rod 6 x 350 mm (25 mm = one inch).

The handle is 140 mm PCV pipe (3/4 in. nominal, 20 mm i.d.).  Add two synthetic wine corks, a small stainless screw and a wrist cord.

One of the wine corks (the bottom cork) is drilled end-to-end along its center with a 5 mm drill, the other (the top cork) is drilled one third of the way only.  To makes the drilling easy, start the through hole at each end of the cork with a small drill, then join the two holes with a 5 mm drill. 

To assemble the dive stick, taper the inner edges of the pipe with a round (rat tail) file, then lightly lubricate the inner surface of the pipe with liquid soap.  Push the partly drilled top cork into one end of the pipe, and the completely drilled through bottom cork into the other end.  Lubricate the stick with liquid soap and push it though the bottom cork and into the hole of the partly drilled cork.    

The wrist cord is a length of 5 mm id soft plastic tube, with a nylon cord threaded through it and a spring loaded cord lock.  A 3 mm hole is drilled across the top end of the pipe and top cork.  Both ends of the wrist cord are passed through it and secured with a double overhand knot.  A loop of nylon fishing line or thin wire can be used to pull the cord through.   

A stainless screw near the top of the handle keeps the corks in place.  Drill a small drain hole in the middle of the pipe.  The stick is now complete. 

The first photo shows a completed dive stick, and the parts​ for a second rescued and rusty ​stick​. The second ​photo is of the tools I used​ including a ​length of fishing line​; please add a hammer.​ 

I have given a number of these ReRecycled sticks to friends, using lost dive sticks rescued from the bottom of  Balayan Bay and Lembeh Strait.

Attached Images

• Dive Stick - Parts and Complete.JPG
  • Dive Stick Tools, add a Hammer.JPG

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 23 September 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#2 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

My friend made a nice one from a screwdriver.

IMG_1711.jpg

#3 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

Larry Smith used to use replacement generic car radio antennas!

He would buy then by the box full at Radio Shack.

RIP, Larry.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.