• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davec13o2

davec13o2

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:56 AM

I have a Meikon ABS housing for my A7RII and would like to add a leak check fitting to it.

VividHousings makes screw-in adapters, and their Aquatica type with a jam nut looks

like it would work well with my type of thin-walled housing.

The problem is that I may not have enough flat space on accessible parts of the housing

to get a good O-ring seat, and if that turns out to be the case, I would have to glue on a

piece of ABS with a flat on one side and curvature on the other side to match the housing.

In reality, I suppose I would wind up filling the voids with thickened glue.

I've glued ABS together before for vacuum systems, and standard ABS glue from Home Depot

has worked fine.  It softens the material to some extent so the bond is a weld.

The ABS glue approach seems to be a good approach, but before I go drilling holes in my housing,

I would like to get comments from anyone who has attempted this before, or who has repaired

plastic cases with glue.

Thanks,

David

#2 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:08 PM

There is a tool called a "Spot face"for this kind of situation. It goes in a drill press and will make a flat, circular area around the hole you are using. DON'T TRY to hand hold it your self!

See if you can get a small machine shop to do it for you..

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 davec13o2

davec13o2

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Thanks.

In fact, I do have a drill press and a small mill with end mills and clamps to jig the case, and I may give that a shot.  But I don't think the case material is thick enough to take the threads.

I need to find a way to check that.

VividHousings does make a port with jam nut so threads would not be necessary, but reaching the nut on the inside would be a problem - threading from the outside much better.