Photo
- - - - -

D500 ports for WA, zoom and macro (nauticam)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2178 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

Hey John

Ahh, yes, spend more and more on gear that I use maybe once..... I know the feeling!

I'll have to leave it to Alex on the 60mm lens in the 85 port. He's the Nauticam Man.

On your and Mark's (AussieByron) comments on magnifying viewfinder, I totally agree. I bought a 45-degree viewfinder for my Subal D300 system about 10 years ago and, gotta say, it's probably the best and truest "investment" i have made in my system. It makes a huge difference for macro - even WA - work. In addition to providing a larger, image for focusing and composing (and, yeah, the aid to Aging Eyes), it allows you to get the camera to a lower angle for shooting upwards rather than risk smashing down into the coral or seabed. They are horrendously priced but, for once in my view, really worth the money. Mine has slowly migrated over the years from the D300 housing to a D800 housing and now to the D500. Easy to remove and install, solidly built, it has been one of my wisest purchases (ok, there haven't been too many of those).

The magnifying viewfinder and the vacuum valve system are my top recommendations.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#22 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

I'd also consider the macro port 60 with a 20mm extension. You can then use both the 60mm AF-S lens (with the macro port 60) and the 105mm VR lens (with macro port 60 and 20mm extension ring). This 20mm extension will be useful when using the teleconverter with the Tokina.

Having re-read this, it seems in order to use the following:
* Tokina 10-17mm
* Tokina 10-17mm + 1.4 telecon
* Nikkor 105mm
* Nikkor 60mm

I could buy the follwing:
* 4.33" dome
* Tokina zoom gear (which part number specifically please?)
* 20mm extension ring (which part number specifically please?)
* 60mm macro port (which part number specifically please?)

Which would result in this set up per lens:
* Tokina 10-17mm = Tokina zoom gear + 4.33" dome
* Tokina 10-17mm with 1.4 telecon = Tokina zoom gear + 4.33" dome + 20mm extension ring
* Nikkor 60mm = 60mm macro port
* Nikkor 105 mm = 60mm macro port + 20mm extension ring

I believe the above is correct according to information in this thread

Final questions before I call up my bank manager please:
* Nauticam (official PDF) states that the 105mm lens requries a 30mm extension ring and a 60mm macro port (whereas this thread states you can get away with 20+60?). Can I get away with the 20mm extension ring and 60mm macro port? Will this not affect IQ or anything else?
* Nauticam (official PDF) states that there is a different zoom ring required for the naked Tokina 10-17, versus the Tokina 10-17+1.4x telecon combo. Would I have to buy the two different zoom rings?

Many thanks in advance!

#23 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2178 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:13 AM

Pretty sure you'll need two zoom rings with the Tokina 10-17 and then 10-17 plus TC.

Adding the TC on to the 10-17 obviously increases the total length of the "lens" (ie 10-17 plus TC). This means the actual Tokina zoom ring on the lens is now further away from the meshing teeth on the housing than it would be with just the 10-17. So the Nauticam zoom ring for the 10-17 plus TC needs to be longer to fit between the Tokina zoom ring and the housing meshing teeth. Hope that makes sense!

Just one thought: if you want to save some cash - just go with the 105mm and not a 60mm as well. I think I wrote early on that the 105mm is harder to start with but once you get into it I reckon its a better macro lens than the 60mm. It allows you to be a bit further away from a skittish subject. The 60mm is good for "fish portraits" of subjects say the size of classic reef dwellers, butterflyfish, jacks, lion fish etc - but not so good for real macro, eg, ghostpipefish, shrimps and, as I say, anything skittish.

I started with a 60mm on DX but added a 105mm when I was working in Lembeh using a D300. I never really went back to the 60mm once I'd got used to the 105 and now don't even own one for my D500. I don't miss it.

Tim

#24 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

TimG,

To be honest, I'll probably just go for the 105 to begin with, as I can't see myself doing 'medium' macro, it's either crazy macro or it's not (for me anyway!). I'm happy to take on the challenge to be honest.

That does mean a 12" working distance minimum, so water clarity is somewhat important, but my friend's gotten great shots of things that I, with my RX100ii, had to get way too close to. As a result, he got the shots, I didn't.

So effectively I think the best route would then be:
* Port for 105mm
* 20mm Extension + 'extended' zoom ring
* 'regular' zoom ring
* 4.33" dome

That'll cover me for the following uses:
* 105mm VR
* 10-17 Tokina 'naked'
* 10-17 Tokina + 1.4x telecon

I've tried to find threads to show it, but are there direct comparisons of the 'same image' with and without the telecon? I'm wondering if I should just start off without the 20mm ext and go Tokina 'naked', until I get better with CFWA?

I was kind of hoping there was a way to put electrical tape or similar around the zoom to make it catch with the single zoom gear, but sounds like you can't!

#25 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2178 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

Sounds good thanks me.

Either CFWA or WA isnt so hard - well, relatively speaking. Lighting is the tricky bit - not lighting backscatter at the sides of the image, Thats an issue with both WA and CFWA. After that the main issue is composition. I dont think youll struggle switching between the two.

Im not familiar with the layout of the Nauticam gear but the issue usually with the zoom rings for 10-27 v 10-17+TC is length not girth. So, no, tape or such wont do it.

Tim

#26 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Fair enough, thanks TimG.

Do you have any pics with and without the 1.4x teleconverter? Does it effectively allow you to get closer or does it just zoom in a bit more? My understanding is that this provides a different type of image but I'm not entirely sure how it alters it as I've not seen any posts with comparison images.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm gonna order tomorrow!

#27 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2178 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

Sorry, I can’t send pics at the moment as I’m traveling.

CFWA, as the name suggests, let’s you get very close, same as the 10-17 on its own. But because of the TC magnification the main subject fills more of the frame but you still have a wideish angle image. This allows you to show the subject in a habitat or against a backdrop.

If you google around you should be able to find pics which show the effect. If you search in WP I think you’ll find comparisons shots. It’s discussed as an issue ever couple of years.

Tim

#28 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Tim.

I've decided to start small and go big later.

So I'm going for:
4.33dome + zoom
105mm VR port

I'll get an extension port when I've used the unit a bit more 😊

#29 bear35

bear35

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

sinetwo

Sorry I might belaying a few things that have already been mentioned here. But.

I too was in exactly the place at the end of last year. I took the advice of going down the route of the 10-17 with Zen 4:33 +zoom, the 60mm macro port and  20mm extension that can be used on the 60mm port to use the 105mm lens and also the 4:33 dome for using the teleconverter. You would need a different zoom gear for using the teleconverter.

If you dive in this country I would think about the 60mm.

There are Nauticam port charts available http://www.nauticam.co.ukso you can see the ports that are recommended. But also give Alex a call number on the website.

#30 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:02 AM

@bear35,

That's an interesting point, and it seems like Alex hit on 20+60 as well, but according to the Nauticam port charts, you need 30+60 to use the 105mm, not 20+60?

Is 20+60 unofficially supported for the 105mm?

#31 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

For those interested, after much deliberation, I opted for the following combination. Thanks to all those in the thread who helped me reach a decision, and a special thanks to Alex T (Nauticam UK) for letting me know that the below combination actually works.

* Nikon D500 + Nauticam housing

* Tokina 10-17

* Nikkor 105mm VR macro

* Kenko 1.4x teleconverter

* 4.33" dome for Tokina 10-17

* 20mm extension port for 1.4x teleconverter

* 60mm macro port, combined with the 20mm extension, giving me an 80mm macro port which can house the 105mm VR, despite official guidance stating 30+60 (probably to give room for user error with filters etc.)

* ...and reusing the same 60mm macro port for a 60mm macro lens in the future

That's the most economical travel kit I could come up with! This is not to say I would personally recommend 20+60mm for the 105mm VR, it's just to say it works.

#32 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2178 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

I hope you have a great time with the system! And do post some pics.....

Tim

#33 JamesR

JamesR

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

If not too late, you can easily shoot the Nikon 60mm 2.8D Micro behind the same port the 105 uses (87), and that lens is really good -- i used that combo in Lembeh on a D7000 a lot.

I would definitely recommend getting the zoom gear for the 105. In Lembeh, using the 105 + diopter i used manual focus a lot -- more than I had expected. The D500 AF is much better, but I would still want the option to use manual for super-macro. 

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

#34 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

If not too late, you can easily shoot the Nikon 60mm 2.8D Micro behind the same port the 105 uses (87), and that lens is really good -- i used that combo in Lembeh on a D7000 a lot.

I would definitely recommend getting the zoom gear for the 105. In Lembeh, using the 105 + diopter i used manual focus a lot -- more than I had expected. The D500 AF is much better, but I would still want the option to use manual for super-macro. 

James, out of interest, which diopter did you opt for? I've had a look at a few on this article: http://www.nad-lembe.../which-diopter/

...as the INON UCL-100 which I used for my RX100 does not work with the 105mm...

Edited by sinetwo, 13 September 2018 - 11:45 AM.