• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

I have always put a clear UV filter on my lenses in an effort to keep the front element as clean and damage free as possible, but recently read a report / watched a video where this person says this is not required and can also be slightly detrimental to your photos, with proof.

Thoughts?

Video link here - skip to 7:47 to see the section on clear filters as lens protectors.

https://www.youtube....h?v=YcZkCnPs45s

#2 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Interesting.  When underwater, I take off the lens filter as the lens is protected by the housing, and cap thelens when outside the housing.  When travelling, I carry my lenses in a shoulder bag, each enclosed in its bag, with a filter and cap screwed on. The YouTube narrator has a good point, and I will take off the filter when shooting.  When not shooting, the filter does protect the lens from finger prints and dust, should the lens cap have been left off.   Thank you for bringing this to the attention of us Wetpixelers.

#3 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

No use underwater. There is a port as well.

Above water, use a hood
https://www.lensrent...-on-the-market/

https://www.lensrent...tion-revisited/

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

A big 'nay' to that one, both topside and UW. Not watched the linked video but I stopped using UV filters years ago. Even good quality filters can be detrimental to the image, seen it myself. Also, in many years of topside shooting, haven't yet felt the front of a lens threatened as to require protection.

Lens hoods however are a different story. When you drop your camera, as I've done multiple times, it will impact on one corner of the body and on the front of the lens. A hood will save the lens. An L-plate likely helps absorb the camera-end of the impact too. 

Edited by Undertow, 02 January 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#5 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Virtually all of the pros that I've shoot with on land recommend that UV or other clear filters not be used. I think that the same thinking would apply UW. I only use a UV filter when shooting is a dusty or sandy environment. Plus I carry a small (1") paint brush in my pocket to clean the lens frequently.

I also agree with undertow on using lens hoods. good protection with no negative impact on the image.

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1864 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Go over to the lens rentals blog and look for the articles on filters. I  think the takeaway is that cheap filters can mess up your images but most good filters are no worse than your best port. In any case, there are times to use them and times to not.

Cheers

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#7 brianbirdimaging

brianbirdimaging

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

nay

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

Nay,
i never use any filters on my cameras.
They had a reason to be used once a time where cameras had films, today the same effect can be archieved in post processing.
Yes, they can protect the front lens and better scratching a 50$ uv filter than a 1500$ lens, but the best is to not scartch anything... an this worked for me the last 45 years
The only useful use would be ND filters, but not under water.
Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website