• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dougjgreen

dougjgreen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

I've recently decided to get serious again about underwater photography, after a lengthy hiatus.  The gear I used to use for underwater shooting is all long obsolete (Nikonos IVA and V cameras, with a Nikonos SB103 strobe).

Currently, I shoot both M43 and Nikon 1 Mirrorless gear on dry land, and I have got a couple of underwater rigs that I can use:   I have an Olympus E-P5 with a Meikon UW housing, and a Nikon J4 with a WP-N3 housing.   I've had the cameras for a while, but just got the housings - both were startlingly inexpensive, so I decided to get both and sort out which one works best for me.

The Olympus is a very fine camera, but the Meikon housing seems a bit clunky and non-intuitive to use. The housing will work with my 14mm f2.5 prime lens (28mm equivalent).

The Nikon 1 rig based upon the J4 is clearly a less sophisticated camera, but the UW housing seems to be beautifully designed and elegant to use, with functionality that completely preserves all of the camera's (somewhat limited) controls. This housing will work with my 10-30mm f3.5~5.6 zoom (27-80mm) or my 18.5mm f1.8 prime lens (50mm equivalent).  It vignettes - cuts off the corners of the frame, with my 10mm (27mm equivalent) prime.

Anyways, which rig to use is not my main concern - I will sort through that over time. Really, my issue is how to I get beyond shooting in available light into a proper UW flash setup for the best quality, without breaking the bank.

Both housings have optical ports that use the camera's built in strobe as a master, so I am looking for a reasonable flash setup that will operate as a slave through an optical connection.

1st of all, My Nikonos SB-103 still works, and I have all the mounting brackets for it,. so it would be awesome if I could still use this UW flash unit. I was wondering if there are any cable/adapter setups that can connect with a Nikonos 5-pin connector at the strobe, and to an optical slave trigger at the housing.  If that won't work, Is there a good reasonably priced optically triggered slave strobe I could use? Nikon makes one for the N1 system, but it's exhorbitantly priced, at around $750 for the strobe itself, and another $300 or so for the brackets and the cabling.

I'm looking for some sort of setup for lighting that I could cobble together for a few hundred bucks. I'm not concerned about TTL flash, I can deal with manually setting the exposure.

1st of all, My Nikonos SB-103 still works, and I have all the mounting brackets for it,. so it would be awesome if I could still use this UW flash unit. I was wondering if there are any cable/adapter setups that can connect with a Nikonos 5-pin connector at the strobe, and to an optical slave trigger at the housing.   If that won't work, Is there a good reasonably priced optically triggered slave strobe I could use? Nikon makes one for the N1 system, but it's exhorbitantly priced, at around $750 for the strobe itself, and another $200 or so for the brackets and the cabling.   I'm looking for some sort of setup for lighting that I could cobble together for a few hundred bucks. I'm not concerned about TTL flash, I can deal with manually setting the exposure.

Edited by dougjgreen, 09 July 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:04 AM

AT that price level I'd look around for something second hand, new at that price is going to have compromises.  A quick look on the classifieds found these:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=62428

price is right and should be a nice pair of strobes and no mucking around with sync cables or converters.

#3 dougjgreen

dougjgreen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

Any experience with Intova Px 21 flashes?    I believe I could get a very cost effective setup using two of these strobes .