• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aldijo2

Aldijo2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:03 AM

Ill be going to Roatan in the near future. Im currently deciding if I should take the Wide angle or Macro lens or both. Any recommendations?

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:13 AM

I would take both personally.  While my interests are moving more and more toward macro, you will see critters and seascapes there that you might want a wider lens for.  I don't do much real wide angle myself, but do medium shots (ie fish portraits) a lot.  You can often find turtles, reef sharks and rays there, in my experience.  Hope that helps.

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#3 landlocked

landlocked

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

We have had the opportunity to dive Roatan's dive sites on three separate occasions. Enjoyed great diving with opportunities for both wide angle and macro photography. We had a couple of dives encountering whale sharks, dolphins, reef sharks as well as turtles and eagle rays. So if you can I would take both your wide angle and macro gear. Have a great trip!

#4 Aldijo2

Aldijo2

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve decided to bring both. I would have killed my self if i would have missed a great opportunity just because I didn’t want to carry an extra lens and port.

#5 tim-o

tim-o

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

I just returned from Roatan... take both, I started to just go wide and leave the rest at home - I am glad I didn't... I shot a 100mm on about 1/2 the dives and got some amazing images. 

#6 tubestance

tubestance

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:28 AM

Glad you're taking both! You never know about weather and dive conditions, a new night dive, etc. ;- )

U/W Photo Articles & Tutorial Videos -> tutorials.brentdurand.com

on Instagram  |  on Facebook

- Brent Durand