• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bkosinone

bkosinone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

I need opinions please. Which is better for nikon D810.

#2 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

You ask: Ikelite vs Nimar for a Nikon D810 ?

My opinion is biased:  Do not save money by getting a junk housing.

The Nikon D810 is a fine camera, and it deserves a good, safe housing.  

I have owned 14 housings, including Ikelite, Nimar, Olympus, Recsea, Subal and Nauticam housings and have used Sea&Sea housings.

Also, I maintain my own housings, take them apart, clean and replace parts as needed..

The Nimar and Ikelite housings tend to be klutzy, I avoid them.   

Subal is fine, strong and well engineered, easy to use,  as is Nauticam which is a bit over engineered, and Sea&Sea, which is on the heavy side. 

Subal has the best engineering and reliability, but getting parts can be slow. 

(Hugyfot and Seacam I have no experience with, but have a top reputation.)

If it was me, I would get a good used Subal ND810 housing, followed by a Nauticam and Sea&Sea, in order of quality, ease of maintenance and safety from flooding.

The Subal Type 3 ports are available on eBay and here, used, for good prices.  The O-Ring Store sells all the necessary O-rings for a most

reasonable price.

Keep us posted and

Best of luck!

#3 onokai

onokai

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

You ask: Ikelite vs Nimar for a Nikon D810 ?

My opinion is biased:  Do not save money by getting a junk housing.

The Nikon D810 is a fine camera, and it deserves a good, safe housing.  

I have owned 14 housings, including Ikelite, Nimar, Olympus, Recsea, Subal and Nauticam housings and have used Sea&Sea housings.

Also, I maintain my own housings, take them apart, clean and replace parts as needed..

The Nimar and Ikelite housings tend to be klutzy, I avoid them.   

Subal is fine, strong and well engineered, easy to use,  as is Nauticam which is a bit over engineered, and Sea&Sea, which is on the heavy side. 

Subal has the best engineering and reliability, but getting parts can be slow. 

(Hugyfot and Seacam I have no experience with, but have a top reputation.)

If it was me, I would get a good used Subal ND810 housing, followed by a Nauticam and Sea&Sea, in order of quality, ease of maintenance and safety from flooding.

The Subal Type 3 ports are available on eBay and here, used, for good prices.  The O-Ring Store sells all the necessary O-rings for a most

reasonable price.

Keep us posted and

Best of luck!

He is spot on  above-do not buy a junk plastic housing.I started with a Ikelight for about 4 dives .I have had many Aquatica housings and 4 Subals . Subals are my favorite.

Edited by onokai, 26 July 2018 - 07:31 PM.

Subal ND800- Housing
Way to many strobes to list
 subal ND800 setup with Ikelite 161 strobes
Still a film divasourus at heart in a digital world

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2169 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

I must admit my first reaction was the same as KdB and onokai. Terrific camera body... make the very most of it.

There are a good few top quality D810  housings on WP Classifieds for sale at the moment. Check them out!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 onokai

onokai

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

At depth those plastic housing controls do not work so well as they can move.-just another reason not to mess with them.

Subal ND800- Housing
Way to many strobes to list
 subal ND800 setup with Ikelite 161 strobes
Still a film divasourus at heart in a digital world

#6 Kerpower

Kerpower

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

Hello,

I have been using Seacam housing since 2001. I started to use Seacam with a Nikon F100, then a D2x, D810 and now a D850. I have a Seacam housing for D810 for sale at this time and of course I would recommand it ;-).

It is here : http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=62519

Cheers,

Nikon D850, Seacam housing with S45 and two Seacam 150D

#7 bkosinone

bkosinone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for your replys

#8 holoholo

holoholo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

I prefer Nimar over Aquatech and have great results. Nimar is built really well and strong, which I need in surf on Hawaii. I am selling my Nimar with my 5d mark iii and buying the new Nimar for my mark iv. 

#9 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

+ 10 for Subal housings!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#10 Mr. Grouper

Mr. Grouper

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:59 AM

Hi BKosinone, for what I understand either you don't have the money to buy a high end housing, or perhaps you don't want to spend that much money in a housing. If you do have the money but are just trying to save some dough, then my advise is to listen to all the comments above, but if you can't afford a high end housing, even an used one, you shouldn't stop yourself from buying either a Nimar or Ikelite housing, as long as you come to terms with the limitations that plastic housing come with, In my opinion you shouldn't stop your self from enjoying underwater photography just because you can't afford a high end housing. I know many people that use these  housing  without problems, as I know of many of us that had problems with high end housings as well. They are plastic, ergonomics may not be the greatest and will come with few limitations, but they have been around for a while, and many people, like me, began our underwater photography journey with plastic, cheaper housings. But if  there is even a remote possibility that you may raise enough money to get yourself  high end housing, then you should definitely wait, because in the end, chances are, that you will be upgrading sooner or later and there is a better market for used high end housing that their cheaper counterpart. 

Cheers!