8 replies to this topic

#1 Mrasette

Mrasette

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

Hello everybody,

I am very new to this forum, and after my subscription I have followed the guidelines and posted a brief introduction about myself in the dedicated area.

Shortly after that, I noticed a post in the classified area about some gear I was looking for (strobes). So I decided to PM the seller directly (see attached the convo)

Am I missing something here? Is such a behavior the spirit of the forum? 

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Best,

MM

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 17.29.20.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 17.29.12.png

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:45 AM

There are a lot of scams online. Many people are very cautious and value reputation established over time. Nothing personal.

I live outside of the USA and get very tired of internet posts that state something like "US only" therefore ignoring 96% of the world. Bit there's not much anyone can do to change such a mindset

#3 Mrasette

Mrasette

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

Indeed but how can you establish trust if you never make any transaction.

It's not because someone is going to post several comments in various threads that this person will be more reliable than me.

And in this specific case, what kind of scam do you want to have if we are using Paypal. I am THE ONE sending money. This guy just has to open his Paypal account straight from a blank webpage by directly typing the URL in the address bar, then log in. If the money is there there is NO SCAM possible. Only scam you can have is by being naive enough to click in a random email on a link pretending to be Paypal, or even worse, just believing they have received money by looking at this email.

There are a lot of scams online. Many people are very cautious and value reputation established over time. Nothing personal.

I live outside of the USA and get very tired of internet posts that state something like "US only" therefore ignoring 96% of the world. Bit there's not much anyone can do to change such a mindset

#4 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:53 AM

I understand your frustration, but I'm often one of those people. I used to get inquiries all the time from people asking about shipping to some far off land. I'd do the research of how much it might cost (hint, a lot!) let them know and then they don't get back to you or stop paying. I've had it that someone tried to scam me by sending me fake e-mails from PayPal. Its often just not worth it.

eBay now has this feature where they pay eBay for the extra shipping and I send my goods to someplace in the USA and they take care of delivering it to Uzbekistan. That I have no issue with. Otherwise, for lots of things, its just not worth the hassle for the occasional buyer who might be elsewhere.

That said, I've never tried to sell anything through these forums and I'd probably moderate my stance if I did.

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

No worries, I get it 100%. There are lots of scams with PayPal and eBay, and nothing is perfectly safe, even if restricted to ones home country. I have bought gear here and am grateful that some members have put up with the hassle of getting it to me, but can also understand the red flags that go up in unusual situations.

#6 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hello everybody,

I am very new to this forum, and after my subscription I have followed the guidelines and posted a brief introduction about myself in the dedicated area.

Shortly after that, I noticed a post in the classified area about some gear I was looking for (strobes). So I decided to PM the seller directly (see attached the convo)

Am I missing something here? Is such a behavior the spirit of the forum? 

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Best,

MM

That person is just being prudent and cautious, and they have every right to be. I can fully understand that it might be frustrating, but as a seller if you're about to part ways with something worth a fair chunk of money I personally want some indication that you're trustworthy. Sure, there's a lot of people that are trustworthy that read these forums, but don't contribute. That's their prerogative, but one shouldn't be upset if they don't want to sell to you if you haven't established yourself as a trustworthy Wetpixel member. Based on the fact that you've posted this topic/question, it probably indicates you are a serious buyer and to be trusted. Just continue posting and you shouldn't have any future issues! :)

#7 rhiannon

rhiannon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

How frustrating! I hope I dont encounter the same situation when wanting to spend a significant amount of money on gear!

#8 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1879 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:09 AM

I think what has happened is that Wetpixel (which used to be much more active than of late) has become a de-facto place for someone to sell UW gear. Even if they have never participated in any of the forums.  On many forums you have to have something like 10 posts in the general forums before you can get into the buy/sell portion of the website. Since WP has become more visited for buying and selling lately the scammers have appeared as well.  I I was going to buy something from someone on WP and they had only one post and that was a selling ad, I would be extraordinarily careful. On the other hand if it was someone with hundreds of posts I  would be a lot less worried. Same for selling, I would be very careful of selling to someone (particularly outside the U.S.) who was not an active member.  

Cheers

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#9 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2015 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:43 AM

Just in case you missed it, here’s the latest policy on being able to advertise.... it picks up Bill’s comment

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=61859(link edited -Admin)

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957