• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:32 PM

Here's a link to my first attempt at U/W digital photography. My rig is an Olympus C5050z with PT-015 housing, Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe, Aquatica flip tray adapted from a Nikonos RS, TLC arms, 1-128 dX and 2-512 CF cards, Archos Multimedia Jukebox. These were all shot in Manual generally between f5.6 and f8 at 1/60 or 1/125. All other settings were stock.

I have a long way to go to match the capabilities of the camera, but I wish a had a DSLR, the shutter lag and write-time lag were very frustrating. I got a lot of "fish-butt" photos.

I also wish I had a WAL. It will be my next purchase.

http://www.tedjansse...65995/index.htm

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 03:12 PM

Hi Ted,

Cool, you dove w/ Ocean Frontiers too! I see the divemaster Matt in one of your shots - he was out on the boat when I was there too... Small world, eh? Even smaller world - Ocean Frontiers just sent me their "newsletter" today and it contains an article by our own Alex Mustard about the Elkhorn coral there (A. palmata).

I looked through your shots and I think you did a very good job for your first time out w/ the system. As you have learned, a wide angle lens sure helps get close so you can bring out the color in your shots. Still, your wide shots still have some good color.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 04:43 PM

Thanks James,
I've been diving Cayman for about ten years every March for two weeks. The last five I've been with Ocean Frontiers (when they had their operation in a hut down in East End). Mo and Steve have come a long way and they have what I think is the best operation on the island. This year we dove the north shore of the East End. One day we went to Babylon and the ocean was as smooth as glass. I've never seen it so calm. Down around the corner to the south it was pushing 4-6 foot seas. Very strange weather and winds this year. Last year we could dive all the way down to Half Moon Bay. This year nothing but up around the corner. But that was fine because we don't usually get to dive many of the northeast wall sites.

Ted Janssen

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8591 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:41 PM

Great stuff! I'm going East with OF on Monday. Hope I see as much as you did, Ted

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

Alex,
Enjoyed your column in the OF newsletter. Conditions were unusual during our stay as the entire east side was not divable. Up around the corner past Morritt's it was quite calm. In fact one day it was like glass. We got to dive a bunch of sites that normally we don't get to dive. Let me know if you see Spongeman 2!

Ted Janssen

#6 sehsuan

sehsuan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:39 PM

hmm interesting that the aperture is only 5.6 to 8.0 for most of the shots - wouldn't that be too dark, although you're using a strobe?...

#7 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 04:01 AM

I was surprised at how much light the YS90DX threw when I got close enough. If anything I had to dial it back because I got overexposures on a number of shots. That's what I like about digital and the YS90DX - you can see your results instantly and you can dial the strobe back quickly - at least on sponge and coral shots. The fish end up as butts. Several of the images are untouched and unaltered - either by cropping or color enhancement and the colors are very vivid.

Ted Janssen

#8 sehsuan

sehsuan

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:07 AM

so i see. i hope to acquire another 4040 for my u/w photo purposes in the near future, soon.

and i pray i have the money for a 90DX too... :huh:

#9 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 08:36 AM

I've completely redone my website and included photos I took with the Oly 5050 and those that Barbara took with her Nikonos V. We've both got a lot to learn but we're on the way.

http://www.tedjansse...65995/index.htm

Ted Janssen

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8591 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 09:42 AM

It was great to see you pictures - they bring back lots a dear East End memories.

It is also interesting to compare the strengths and weaknesses of the digital and the Nikonos on similar subject matter.

Hope to bump into you some time in Cayman.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#11 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:10 AM

Looking forward to it Alex. I've been diving with OF for about 5 years. Stay at Indies Suites on the West Side. Usually go in March. Next year March 6-20 (I think). I very much enjoyed following your visit as well. Ted

Ted Janssen