• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bqualls

bqualls

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Ive read various accounts of how many cameras I can take to the Galapagos but the answer is not clear to me. Id like to take my 2 canons and their uw cases and a lumix bridge zoom for the Peru after-trip. The customs regs are clear as mud to me.

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:32 PM

I'm sorry but that just sounds absurd. Why would they limit the number of cameras you can bring? People go there with mountains of camera gear every day. I've been twice (albeit many years ago) and never heard of any limits. A quick Google turns up nothing.

International Galapagos Tour Operators Association "Essential Travel Info" (nothing about camera limits)

https://www.igtoa.or.../essential_info

Galapagos National Park Rules:

https://www.galapago...vel/park-rules/

All I see is no flash photography of wildlife, no drones. Commercial work requires a license. 

Perhaps you're reading about customs regulations for locals not tourists? Like duty-free limits for locals? 

#3 bqualls

bqualls

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

I have seee several references to electronic device limits (including cameras) that travelers may bring into ecuador. Not sure how authoratative any are. Here is a link to a custons form that talks about new and used numbers of devices that may be brought in by individuals and famalies. Im not sure how old the form is and whether its still being used.
My wife and I each have an I iphone- does that count as a camera? I suspect not, but it may depend on who is manning the customs booth at the time.
I agree that this sounds absurd and I have never run into this in quite a bit of international travel. But, if you spend several minutes on google with the right search words this issue will come up repeatedly.

Edited by bqualls, 03 February 2018 - 09:27 PM.

#4 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Sounds like they consider more cameras/electronics/etc than specified to be likely to be sold for commercial purposes and want import tax paid on them. You can look at getting a carnet but these are expensive and painful for consumer levels of equipment. Even if they are "underwater photographer" consumer levels!

Ecuador is not the only country that has rules like this. Pretty much everywhere has limits on alcohol, tobacco, etc, and most places have limits on electronics and other valuables too. But you usually have to make Customs suspicious that you're running a sales business before you get stuck. They want evidence that everything you brought in will leave the country again when you leave.