• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skiddish9999

skiddish9999

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

Already had a topic so rather than clutter the forum with more I am modifying this one:

Is there a generic o-ring lubricant that can be used for these o-rings?

I played paintball quite frequently and used lubricant on o-rings from a viscous substance to what is basically in the ikelite tubes. There has to be a cheaper source that won't destroy the o-rings.

Old topic:

I'm having issues with my ikelite housing switching modes from anything while my 5d mark iv is in the housing. This is a dry lock housing and it was working before. It seems like the piece that is suppose to make contact with the outside rim is either missing or not making contact correctly.

This turned out to be a missing piece on the t that was a semi clear rubber thing.

Edited by skiddish9999, 14 September 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#2 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

I'm not going to give "advice" in case it's wrong, but I have always just used the Trident silicone lubricant and have never had a problem with a cracked or swollen o-ring. What you absolutely don't want to do is use a petroleum based lube. Although I've been told that's OK for the o-rings on ball arms, etc. Just not anything that seals.

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2221 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

Hi all,

It is relatively expensive, but Tribolube 71 works on all O rings...

I use it as it means I only need to carry one type of grease, and it saves me from having to remember which grease to use with which O ring!

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:13 PM

Take this as bit tongue in cheek, if you are worried about the price of o-ring lube you might be using too much. :)   Nauticam lube is $15 at bluewater photo and that will last at least a year, I'm just squeezing the last out of my tube that came with my first housing in 2016 and I've done about 80 double dives - mostly shore dives so I clean and lube the o-ring after every dive session.  The Nauticam lube is fluoro-ether grease so compatible with all o-rings.  Tribolube may or may not be a little cheaper.

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2221 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

I'm not really concerned about the cost but do feel that $50 for a 2oz tube needs mentioning.

I have thus far been unable to find the origin of the Nauticam grease. It does look like Tribolube/Krytox etc, do you know specifically what it is? 

I was once advised not to use it on non-Buna O rings. 

All the best

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#6 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

Ive been using Silica Electra-Chemplex 710 for well over a decade now on all my non-o2 clean o-rings, including many different camera housings, strobe battery covers, DPV and even dry-glove rings. Wonderful stuff and not all that expensive.

#7 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:06 AM

I say use the one your housing manufacturer  recommends then you will never have to concern your self which one should I use.

Andy 

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#8 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

I'm not really concerned about the cost but do feel that $50 for a 2oz tube needs mentioning.

I have thus far been unable to find the origin of the Nauticam grease. It does look like Tribolube/Krytox etc, do you know specifically what it is? 

I was once advised not to use it on non-Buna O rings. 

All the best

Adam

I've seen it for $8 or so for a small tube :  https://www.divegear...AyABEgL1gvD_BwE

which looks to be the same size as the nauticam lube which lasted me over 2 years.  The price comment was directed at the OP, who expressed concern at the price of lube.

There was a post on here or Scubaboard some time back which said Nauticam lube was fluroether grease and compatible with all o-ring types.  It doesn't help that stores refer to all lube as silicone grease even if its not.  For example you can't use silicone grease on silicone o-rings.

Edited by ChrisRoss, 17 September 2018 - 04:53 PM.

#9 echo2600

echo2600

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

The $8 price is for the 0.2 oz. (5 gram) pillow pack... The 2,0 oz. tube is $30... My 2.0 oz. tube has lasted me through 3 years of CCR diving, plus O2 servicing all of my regulators, plus use on my camera rig... and id guess that Ive used less that a quarter of the tube.... a little Tribolube goes a very long way!

#10 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2221 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

I say use the one your housing manufacturer  recommends then you will never have to concern your self which one should I use.

Is great advice until you have housings, strobes, focus lights etc. from different manufacturers that all "need" different lubricants!

I guess how long a tube lasts is really a function of how much you dive too. A 2oz tube lasts me around 2 years, so approximately 800 dives or so.  

Tribolube is significantly more expensive in Europe, and the shipping costs from the supplier are around $21-hence the $50 price tag...I am about to order some more, so have been shopping around :)

Saying that having one lubricant that does everything is worth the (small) expense.

I would love to have a definitive answer on what Nauticam lubricant is. I recently bought some Dow Corning 55 O ring lubricant for another purpose, and it looks like the Nauticam grease too-but is not universally compatible!

Adam

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#11 eyu

eyu

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:49 AM

I have been using Tribolube 71 for all my o-rings for yrs too.  It works perfectly and does not react to the different o-ring materials, no swelling. 

I got tired of carrying a different grease for Subal black o-rings, Inon yellow o-rings, Sea&Sea blue o-rings, Olympus red o-rings.

Another option is to change all your o-rings to butyl (black), use no grease and just use saliva as a lubricant as one of my dive buddies does.

Elmer

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS & Carbon Arms

#12 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

I previously posted this in this thread http://wetpixel.com/...=55873&p=392858 about O ring grease compatability:

This is an extract from a table for matching various oils and grease with materials.  The Elastomer section shows that the PFPE grease is the only one that is compatible (indicated by green arrow pointing up) with all elastomers listed.  If you want to use only one grease for your O rings PFPE greases such as Christolube, Tribolube, Krytox, etc are the way to go.

Attached Images

• O Ring Grease.jpg

Edited by Gudge, 18 September 2018 - 07:01 PM.

Canon 7D MkII, Nauticam NA-7DMKII housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 2 x Ikelite DS160, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Sigma 150 macro, Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

UW Photo Courses