38 replies to this topic

#21 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi Roger,

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Amphibico's owner has shut the housing manufacture operation down, and is not seeking to sell it.

I quote from an email from him:

....because we are closing up Amphibico now. The market has changed so severely, new camera technology in the video camcorders has not kept pace with the DSLR's, spending in the market has decreased hugely and I would have to invest very heavily in new R&D to see returns only in 3 or 4 years. I just turned 64 so I'm not interested in doing that.

There is still a ready second hand market though-I would suggest posting ads here on Wetpixel and on other underwater videography oriented sites.

Sorry again.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#22 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

That really is crappy news,

I feel for you Roger.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#23 jackpolanen

jackpolanen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

Very sad for the brand. I bought my first housing DiveBuddy II in 1995. After that in 2006 I bought the Evo for my HDR-HC1. Specs on their website said 'manual focus'. Housing arrives, no manual focus, just 'Focus lock'. A long discussion, but they were not willing to take back the housing of do some sort of compensation. A few days later they changed the txt in to 'focus lock'. I guess they thought I had a point!

April 19 I mailed JC and told about my lensport problem. Without any hesitation he said, "just send it in and I'll send you a new one for free". Wow... that's great I thought. But 'if an offer looks to good to be true, it ...is!! I send in my lens and from that moment, no more contact with Amphibico. Old lens gone, no new one.
JC just send a mail that he was no longer employed by Amphibico since April 21... Wait a minute, April 19 - April 21? Mmmm...

I think it's very sad they are out of business, but things like this don't happen just like that. Also the generosity about the new lens? They guy who ordered for 6K and didn't receive his order? I've got a bad taste in my mouth.
Light & Motion / Gates... see you soon.

To all who lost their gear and money. That's life, shit happens. Let's all just buy gear and dive!

It's much better down there... It's a better place! (Enzo, Le Grand Blue.)

#24 CDMM

CDMM

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

What a bummer, just gone and dinged by 94 degree port in the Red Sea and the UK supplier cannot even get spares for their own rental Phenoms. Still have the flat port but will have to hope nothing goes wrong with the rest of my housing!!!

Here is hoping someone takes over the company.

Roger

I am at five hours drive from Montreal and I have the same probleme.
I am diving four time a week for a live interpretation activity.
I am just hoping that my housing will be OK for the end of the season.

Stéphane

#25 chilbal

chilbal

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

I think it's very sad they are out of business, but things like this don't happen just like that. Also the generosity about the new lens? They guy who ordered for 6K and didn't receive his order? I've got a bad taste in my mouth.
Light & Motion / Gates... see you soon.

To all who lost their gear and money. That's life, shit happens. Let's all just buy gear and dive!

It's much better down there... It's a better place! (Enzo, Le Grand Blue.)

Just have to tell, that Paypall did a great job and I got my 6 K back, because I made a made a claim to Paypal.
After a few weeks, I got my money back, and today I have a Gates house for my Panasonic POV – great house

Edited by chilbal, 31 August 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#26 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Glad you were able to get your money back and that Pay Pal came through. Too bad that others who lost money with H20 Photo weren't as successful. You made the right choice on your new housing as well. Congrats
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#27 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Good news for Amphibico owners: Aquatica has finalized the last detail in the acquisition of Amphibico, for more info you can contact usat info@aquatica.ca
Attached File  Aquatica_AMPH_Release_v1.pdf   443.79KB   191 downloads
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#28 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Congratulations to Aquatica on the acquisition. It looks like the perfect fit for the two companies involved.
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#29 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Deja Vu all over again. About 10-12 years ago if I recall, there was this camera housing company.....

I figured there was value there for someone already in the business.

Good news for Amphibico owners: Aquatica has finalized the last detail in the acquisition of Amphibico, for more info you can contact usat info@aquatica.ca
Attached File  Aquatica_AMPH_Release_v1.pdf   443.79KB   191 downloads

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#30 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

A loooong time ago, Aquatica people founded Amphibico....

Who said that the earth was round..?

Congrats guys....

Michel

PS: My spy in Orlando tells me Jean is coming to DEMA in an Amphibico/Aquatica coloured private jet...
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#31 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

A loooong time ago, Aquatica people founded Amphibico....

Who said that the earth was round..?

Congrats guys....

Michel

PS: My spy in Orlando tells me Jean is coming to DEMA in an Amphibico/Aquatica coloured private jet...

It will be a jet, but economy class (the cargo flight was full already). :laugh:
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#32 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

Congrats to your team Jean, I'm thinking this is a big win for the Amphibico owners.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#33 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

Great to hear, hope it all goes well. :laugh:
More years left in the Phenom yet then..
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#34 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Just emailed the URL to some Amphibico enthusiasts who will be overjoyed with this news.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#35 Harry Remmington

Harry Remmington

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:16 AM

Val Rannikin had a vision for the Company but Ron Hand was only on a fat cat ego trip....you only had to read between the lines on his self awarded S.O.L.O. project.

Edited by Harry Remmington, 01 October 2011 - 05:17 AM.

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Harry, your first post on shouldn't be about insulting someone. That's bordering on a personal attack, which is not allowed on Wetpixel.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#37 Harry Remmington

Harry Remmington

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:43 AM

Harry, your first post on shouldn't be about insulting someone. That's bordering on a personal attack, which is not allowed on Wetpixel.

Sorry Drew please pull it as I don't seem able to edit it

#38 jackpolanen

jackpolanen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

That really is crappy news,

I feel for you Roger.

And the good news is... Aquatica does a very good job! I send a mail to Joe about the problems I had in the last few days Amphibico was 'on air'. Joe replyed that he would see if he could solve it for me. To be honest..., after what happened, I didn't expect much of it. Last week though Joe mailed me that he had a lens for me.
Today I received my Fedex parcel with the lens so I'm very very happy! 2morrow dive dive dive ...!
Thnx Joe!

#39 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

And the good news is... Aquatica does a very good job! I send a mail to Joe about the problems I had in the last few days Amphibico was 'on air'. Joe replyed that he would see if he could solve it for me. To be honest..., after what happened, I didn't expect much of it. Last week though Joe mailed me that he had a lens for me.
Today I received my Fedex parcel with the lens so I'm very very happy! 2morrow dive dive dive ...!
Thnx Joe!

I am not someone who was Amphibico (Been Gates on video and Aquatica on stills) and bought my equipment from both companies all along. All I can I say is that when I have spent my money on UW items, both companies have treated me very well and I would not think twice about buying the products of either of them. And I was buying before I was a mod here or did anything else. Actually come to think of it, maybe I should hit them up for some things :)

Kidding aside, as a shooter, they really work hard to make customers happy.