RETRA Strobe Thread

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:06 AM

Just added the shark diffusers, the beam narrowers, and the protective rings (for general diving/transport).  I hope they will announce  their off-camera trigger soon.

Alex, wanted to ask, are the strobes you used the "final" model with the higher power output, or the ones you originally tested months ago?

In the beam comparison, although the center-spot GN was slightly lower than the YS D2, the overall light output across the circle seemed noticeably brighter.  To get the same wide, even, diffused beam I would have to use the "strong" diffuser and lose 1.5 stops on the YS-D2.  In fact, it looks like these do not really need a diffuser at all unless you are shooting fisheye.

Hope they get here by August, as that is our peak diving season here in S. Fla. for everything from nudis to Goliaths and look forward to deploying these!  

#42 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

The ones I shot in Egypt were pre-production, but I think operating on full power. Although I never had a need to turn them up over 50% during my shoot. 

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#43 JustinBeevor

JustinBeevor

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

Two ordered, with battery packs and shark diffusers. Shipping predicted for mid August, in plenty of time for my Socorro trip in November. Really looking forward to the much more user-friendly controls over the Inons.

Edited by JustinBeevor, 15 July 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Sony a6500 + Nauticam NA A6500 + Inon Z240
flickr

#44 Stefan Ekman

Stefan Ekman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Macro mostly

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

Anybody else got the pre-shipping info from Retra today?

Thank you for supporting the new Retra Flash. Your feedback gave us the power to create a new underwater strobe which you will soon be able to hold in your hands and enjoy. 

We are in the final stages of our production plan and we have already received the majority of components for the new Retra Flash. They are all produced in Europe in our home country Slovenia and in Germany.

The time has come for inspection, assembly, testing and packaging. As this will be our first time with a new product we want to make sure all the work will be done at 100% focus and without flaws.

To achieve our goals we will start shipping on 21st August. By doing so we will have enough time to finish the production of your pre-orders and send them by the end of the month. You will receive the tracking information to your emails once the packages are ready to go.

We want to deliver you the best possible product!

Stefan

#45 Luko

Luko

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

yeah... just received the mail too. :(

A pity I won't be able to use them for my next trip in august, I was hoping so much.

I'll now have to wait 9 more months before I can start playing with them.

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#46 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Oh, well.  It's a new venture, for a very expensive niche product, and I am fine that they want to keep their quality control strict as opposed to rushing them out.  I'll just soldier on with my YS D1 for another month . . .

Upside, maybe there is stiil time to order a second LSD at the discount price!

#47 JustinBeevor

JustinBeevor

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

Hi Oskar - is there any update on shipping please? Will you meet today's target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flickr

#48 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

Hi

We are doing our 100% to start shipping the Retra Flash as soon as possible. First shipments should start this month and we are expecting it will take 4-5 weeks before all pre-orders are sent. 

When your order is ready for shipping you will be notified via email with tracking information. Most deliveries will take place in the first half of September. 

Thank you for your patience and support.

www.retra-uwt.com

#49 JustinBeevor

JustinBeevor

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:45 AM

Thanks Oskar - fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flickr

#50 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

I was able to get the test pair of Retra's that I had with me in Cayman and Cuba into the hand of lots of photographers this month. So hopefully you will start to hear some of their opinions soon and also see their photos. Alex

Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#51 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

This is good news, indeed.

Alex, will look forward to seeing other photog's tips and suggestions for using these to best effect.

Unless I am first out, I am probably going to miss goliath grouper season, but there's always lemon sharks in January . . . 

#52 Stefan Ekman

Stefan Ekman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Anyone started to receive their strobes yet?

Edited by Stefan Ekman, 09 September 2017 - 03:05 PM.

Stefan

#53 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hi Stefan, we start shipping in less than 10 days.

Thank you for your patience and support.

www.retra-uwt.com

#54 Stefan Ekman

Stefan Ekman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info Oskar!

It sucks that it takes time - but I understand that it's easy to underestimate development and production time. All the little details...

But it would suck even more if the strobes does not work. Especially if there are issues during a dive trip. That can really ruin your day and entire trip. So of the two, I'll take the delay every time over quality issues.

Stefan

#55 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

I should be getting a big box!  2 strobes, battery packs, shark diffusers, protective rings, light narrowing rings, and an LSD :dancing:

#56 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

Report here:

http://wetpixel.com/...ard-and-friends

Hopefully more people will get to try them in the coming days as orders begin to ship and we will hear more opinions and see more images. 

Alex

#57 hellhole

hellhole

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

I should be getting a big box!  2 strobes, battery packs, shark diffusers, protective rings, light narrowing rings, and an LSD :dancing:

Did u go for the 2x retail flash deal? Does it include battery packs??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

#58 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:57 AM

Hi Alex,

thank you very much for this review.

Wich one would you prefer for wide angle, the seacam 150d or the retra strobes? Or is this comparing apples and oranges because of the more power of the seacam flash?

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#59 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Did u go for the 2x retail flash deal? Does it include battery packs??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I pre-ordered the flashes and LSD at the end of February, after one of my YS-D2's died.  They offered a killer deal back then for those willing to wait and put their cash up front to finance the venture.  I ordered the battery packs and diffuser/ring accessories the day they were announced.  It looks like these flashes are going to be top top performers in the compact flash arena.  Even at the current price, if I were looking to buy new flashes I would make these my top choice.  The 2x deal does not include the battery packs, but it does include the LSD which is a tremendous package.  In fact, as much as I am looking forward to the strobes, I am looking forward to the LSD even more.  Much of my macro is in shallow sunny water and it is very difficult to isolate the subject from a busy/sandy/unattractive background.  The LSD will be a huge benefit for me in getting more dramatic shots.

Man, I CANT  WAIT!!

By the way, want to thank you, Alex, again, for all the work you have put into the testing.  The updated article was very thorough and useful.

If mine arrive in time, there might be a week or two left to shoot the goliath grouper aggregation here in South Florida and I hope to be able to post some pics.

Edited by guyharrisonphoto, 21 September 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#60 JoshW

JoshW

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

I ordered the package deal earlier this week. I'm very excited to try them out. I kinda regret not ordering them earlier this year when they had the great pricing but I wasn't sure what system I would be putting together at the time. Regardless they look like stellar performers and can't wait to get them in the water up here in the Northeast. Thank you Alex for the review and Oskar for answering my questions.