• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Barry Field

Barry Field

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:49 AM

Adam, would be great to get a direct comparison against the RETRA as the cash is burning a hole in my pocket and not sure which option to choose :)

Using Tapatalk

#22 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

So today the UPS man delivered a very interesting box from Japan..

z330_ah-01.jpg

z330_ah-02.jpg

z330_ah-06.jpg

z330_ah-07.jpg

z330_ah-10.jpg

Testing will begin in earnest tomorrow. Sadly, a side by side comparison with the Retra Flash is looking unlikely for a while.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#23 echo2600

echo2600

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Out if curiosity, do you know how the Z-330 compares physically to the Retra? Are they very similar in size, or is one larger than the other? My current setup packs fairly tightly into a Pelican case, so new strobes might mean a luggage...

#24 Balage_diver

Balage_diver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo and electronics

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

So today the UPS man delivered a very interesting box from Japan..

attachicon.gifz330_ah-01.jpg

attachicon.gifz330_ah-02.jpg

attachicon.gifz330_ah-06.jpg

attachicon.gifz330_ah-07.jpg

attachicon.gifz330_ah-10.jpg

Testing will begin in earnest tomorrow. Sadly, a side by side comparison with the Retra Flash is looking unlikely for a while.

Adam

Looks so nice!    We are waiting for the test results! :clapping:

Through-the-lens metering....

#25 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

Adam, that's good news!

It would be interesting to compare how much are changes of Z330 light beam angle and uniformity compared to Z240 (on the same power, without diffuser). Could you please show us the beam shots, if possible?

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 09 December 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#26 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:21 AM

Recycle speed testing

I'm pleased to report that it looks like we will have a Retra on its way too...

It would be interesting to compare how much are changes of Z330 light beam angle and uniformity compared to Z240 (on the same power, without diffuser). Could you please show us the beam shots, if possible?

I'm going to test the strobe underwater very shortly and will test beam angles then.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#27 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Adam, would be great to get a direct comparison against the RETRA as the cash is burning a hole in my pocket and not sure which option to choose :)

I took some pix to address your question. The Inon Z220 shown in the pix is the model that preceded the 240 and now 330 is the same form factor as the newer models. The Seacam 60D also shown is another new strobe for 2017. Maybe we should call 2017 the year of the underwater strobe!  As well, there is a new J version of the Sea and Sea AA battery model - I keep wanting to call it R2D2 but that is not the correct name. All these new strobes use AA batteries. We just got a foot or so of rain (with storm and gale force winds) so the snow is all but gone (why not in pix) - air temp right now is 8C.

Attached Images

• _7D29103.jpg
  • _7D29107.jpg
  • _7D29109.jpg
  • _7D29110.jpg

Edited by Tom_Kline, 09 December 2017 - 03:21 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#28 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Recycle speed testing

I'm pleased to report that it looks like we will have a Retra on its way too...

I'm going to test the strobe underwater very shortly and will test beam angles then.

Adam

Adam,

Were the histograms for all your shots identical? When I have done such a test the first shot was brighter than the rest.

T

Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#29 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for the photos, Tom

For me (without underwater testing, just by comparing the specs) the "want-to have" strobe would be the Seacam: small, beautiful design, 4.400K colour temperature, 130° coverage (GN8 metric / around GN25 imperial), accessories like diffusor, snoot available.

When I changed from analog to digital I changed from Ikelite SS200 to Inon Z240. What I really missed was the circular flash tube from the Ikelite. For my personal taste the Ikelite gave a much more "pleasant" lighting; maybe because of the circular tube, maybe because of the colour temperature, or maybe bcause of a combination of both). The Seacam has this circular flash tube, the other two not.

BUT: For the price of one 60D you can buy two Inons or Retras....

Edited by Jock, 10 December 2017 - 03:36 AM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de/
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#30 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Tom,

Just to point out that the Z330 is the same body size and form factor as the Z240, but it has a domed lens that protrudes from the front, as opposed to the flat lens cover of its predecessor...This makes them around an inch wider.

I have some Seacam 60Ds on the way to!

I have had the Z330s in the pool today and shot them side by side with Z240s. I think they are definitely around 20° wider and the power difference is obvious.

All the best

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#31 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

@ Jock. I have a similar history with four SS200s at my start with digital. Seacam 60D is the only strobe of the new models with cabled TTL in separate Nikon and Canon versions.

@ Adam. Good point about the protruding dome. The Retra and Seacam 60D also have protruding domes though maybe not to the same extent. One can put on protection rings hide to enable placing the strobes face down on a table to work on them. I just did this with one of my Retras as I had to swap out the wired bulkhead - this was very easy to do. I left these rings off in the pix. I used the groove in the  Paterson developing tray you see in the pix to help with balancing the strobes when placed dome down. It look as if your plate will be full comparing these new strobes!

Oceanography & Limnology

#32 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

I am just wondering what INON has done in order to be able to handle the roughly 50% higher Output Level.

The used to have an internal heat issue. That was eased when the Eneloops came, due to lower internal resistance.

This extra Heat must dissipate somewhere. An Aluminium Housing has a clear adavantage here.

They must have reduced the resistive losses by approx. a 1/3 in oder to compensate for the Higher Output

/Erik

Ps! Engineering thinking over a Cup of Coffee!.

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#33 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Would very much like to hear a battery life comparison between the 240 and 330.  One would assume you can't get double the output without losing significant battery life.  

I'd like to be wrong about that.  The price is certainly good.  

Also, I guess my Retra snoot will not fit the new model?  

#34 echo2600

echo2600

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Reef Photo and Backscatter are both now taking preorders at $650... I think that I know what I am getting for Christmas...

#35 scuba_d

scuba_d

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Retra is $829 - really curious what I am going to gain for the extra $.  Reliability is another concern. Inon proved mostly reliable in the past, hope the Retra is not going to lag behind. 

Edited by scuba_d, Today, 05:11 AM.