• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nuno A

Nuno A

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:26 AM

Maybe someone can give a clue about this issue.

I have a Ikelite ds161 and ds51 connected to a sea&sea housing for Nikon d200. The housing as two bulkheads and I use Ikelite sync cable ref. 4104.62 (Ikelite to Nikonos Style Dual Cord) connected to the non converter bulkhead of the housing.

My problem is that regularly the strobes stop triggering without no apparent reason.

I never know when the strobes will work or not.

Even in the water the strobes sometime stop triggering and sometimes after a few attempts re-start triggering but sometimes only at home and vice versa.

We'll it looks like some kind of magic but very annoying since it spoils my dives !!

Does anyone has a clue that can help ?

#2 Yako

Yako

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

It's sounds that you have a problem in Ikelite connectors of your cable...

Long time ago, I was using Ikelite, and I had the same problem.  One wire of the Ikelite cable connector was not doing correct contact in their soldering pin...

Check the cable with an electrc tester  (every contact ponit to point) moving the cable to see if you have the same problem...

Olympus OMD E-M1, Naticam housing, 2x S&S D1, Oly 60mm , 12-50mm & 12-40mm, Pana 8mm & 7-14mm

My Flickr Gallery

#3 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

When I was shooting Ikelite, I never went on a trip without a spare sync cord.  I have had them last years or just a few months.

#4 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

You may have an issue with the Nikon's TTL sync pin freezing the camera when it gets the wrong connection. Does the camera still operate or does it lock up?

You can put a small piece of electrical tape over the one pin to see.

Also with dual bulkheads it can get tricky. You have to turn on the stobe that's the master and then the strobe that's the slave...although I'm not sure if that applies to Sea & Sea housings.

Refer to Ike's FAQ for help: http://www.ikelite.c.../faq/cords.html there's a couple of Q/A's on this issue.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#5 Nuno A

Nuno A

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thank you all !!!

Jack the camera doesn't lock up when the strobes stop triggering. Where do i find the one pin that you suggest to cover with electrical tape ?

#6 Nuno A

Nuno A

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Just one more question.

My cable doesn´t have the red band that indicates wich is the secondary. Ive tried to find out but both strobes work independently, wich its strange. I thougt when the primary was desconnected the slave wouldn´t work !!

#7 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

Are you sure you are using a digital sync cord?  It should have a blue band on the camera end, and a red band for the secondary strobe.  If there are no bands you may have a non-digital cord, which will result in a myriad of difficulties.

#8 Nuno A

Nuno A

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

Well it has the blue band on the camera end but the red is Not there, I bought it used and for some reason the red band is not there. On the blue band it has the Ikelite reference of the cable and check on the Ikelite site and it's digital. This cable is a really mystery !!! :)

#9 Gom

Gom

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hey Nuno,

I'm encounrting EXACTLY the same Problem at the moment.

Just a question, do you have a TTL Konverter build in your housing? I'm asking because I do have a Konverter and I used to operate my strobes via the Ikelite TTL Sync cord and it was working fine.

After a time I noticed I couls set the Converter on "manual" mode, meening that the strobes were operated only by their manual settings and not in TTL mode. After a while there were exactly the same problems than your. Either the strobes will fire outside the water and once you wre in the water they just would stop working. Or often the stopped working in the middle of a dive. The camera is not blocked and shots the pictures, only that the pics remain black.

At the moment, I'm wondering if I shouldn't use the non TTL Version of the Sync cord (blue banded)...I just wrote an email to Ikelite to ask them. I'll post back when I know more.

Regards,

Steve

#10 antennarius

antennarius

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving and underwater photography

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:32 AM

Hi, I had a similar problem on my ds161 which turned to be a battery problem. Though it seemed fine and the video light was working the flash didn't fire. When I switched between the strobes it did fire for a while but than it stopped. Finally I noticed that the flash ready light (red) didn't work in those cases. I contacted Ikelite and they replaced my battery (in warranty).

Ant.

Edited by antennarius, 24 September 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#11 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Please refer to the link I posted on the ikelite site. Their FAQs are very good and they have the pin-out diagrams.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#12 Nuno A

Nuno A

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thank you all. Im starting to believe I have been making a foolish mistake. I don't charge my ds160 everytime only when it reaches the last third of battery. I'm going to start to fully charge it after each dive to see if works !!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ikelite;, sea&sea;, strobes;, sync cable