Photo
- - - - -

Who is excited about Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:09 AM

The GH5s also has (can't remember if the GH5 also has) E-Stablisation which is like a builtin warp stabiliser, no idea how it works, if there is some IMU detecting moving, of its just as bad as the old EIS of older cameras.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#62 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

I think stabilization isn't such a big deal underwater with a properly trimmed and balanced rig (admitedly, this isn't the most straightforward thing to do with the DSLR housings vs cinema housings).

But people have been filming using DSLRs underwater for almost a decade now, not to mention all the larger cameras that don't have any sort of stabilization and getting reasonable results. So it's not the end of the world. You should everyone taking a RED underwater is putting it on a tripod all the time?

#63 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

The GH5s also has (can't remember if the GH5 also has) E-Stablisation which is like a builtin warp stabiliser, no idea how it works, if there is some IMU detecting moving, of its just as bad as the old EIS of older cameras.

E-stabilisation creates a 1.09x crop worth testing if it works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#64 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

Apparently this camera doesn’t come with a battery charger you have to either charge within the camera or buy a third party.
In a comparative video with the GH5 this camera went through 8 battery packs in 8 hours versus a single one for the GH5.
That appears to be a significant limitation.
Looks like this camera is designed to shoot on land on continuous power supply or on a gimbal
I think it is a strong contender to the GH5s and if you are bought into the S probably this one is the way forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#65 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:34 AM

One thing worth thinking about is that at least part of the interface depends on the touch-screen -- which means a housing may leave you without any option to change things like codec, frame rate, white balance, perhaps even ISO/aperture underwater. Anyone have one to test what can and cannot be done without the touchscreen?

Another problem may be the one-touch autofocus. As far as I understand it, you need to use the touch-screen to set this. Is there any way to set it to one of the custom buttons?

#66 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

One thing worth thinking about is that at least part of the interface depends on the touch-screen -- which means a housing may leave you without any option to change things like codec, frame rate, white balance, perhaps even ISO/aperture underwater. Anyone have one to test what can and cannot be done without the touchscreen?

Another problem may be the one-touch autofocus. As far as I understand it, you need to use the touch-screen to set this. Is there any way to set it to one of the custom buttons?

This a nice video review. At 4:05-5:00 he speaks about the buttons usability. BTW, how to you guys imbed a video?
https://youtu.be/3lYDNMP-C14
The camera has the following buttons for quick access:
Iris
Focus
High Frame Rate
Zoom
Menu
Playback
Stills
Record – top and front
White Balance
Shutter
ISO
Function buttons – I, II and III – three customizable buttons.
Best Regards,
Thani

#67 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:31 PM

This a nice video review. At 4:05-5:00 he speaks about the buttons usability. BTW, how to you guys imbed a video?
https://youtu.be/3lYDNMP-C14
The camera has the following buttons for quick access:
Iris
Focus
High Frame Rate
Zoom
Menu
Playback
Stills
Record – top and front
White Balance
Shutter
ISO
Function buttons – I, II and III – three customizable buttons.

Great! Sounds like there are enough buttons to make it usable in an underwater housing without needing to revert back to the touchscreen.

A couple of other take-aways from ProAV's series of reviews:

1. Autofocus seems to be reliable enough to implement a pre-focus to hyperfocal distance and start filming approach for wide angle.

2. The screen seems bright enough to use in daylight, which is fantastic -- maybe no need for an external monitor to keep the package nice and light

3. The 1080p/120fps is a 1:1 pixel crop, so not really usable. This is a 4k/60fps camera, which is just fine as far as I'm concerned underwater. I really like 60p with the option to slow it down 2.5 times on a 24fps timeline. Things don't move that fast underwater for the most part, so I don't see much need for 120fps. 120fps is nice for getting dreamy shots of people though.

#68 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:45 AM

I have the camera since few days, at this moment with current firmware (5.2), while diving the only limitations I would see, as you can open the menus but cannot make any change without touching the screen :

. You cannot change the recording parameters, like the resolution, the codec, what media to record on.

. You cannot change the info display on the screen

So those parameters must be fix before you put he camera in the housing.

But you can still do:

- Change/adjust the ISO

- Change the shutter speed (useful if you assign one of the function button with a specific frame rate)

- Make the white balance and adjust the color temperature (Kelvin)

- Focus with the dedicated button, will only be at the center of the screen

- Zoom (2x)

- Play your clips

- Record in high frame rate (60fps at 4K)

- Activate/deactivate:

. Focus peaking

. Zebra

About the frame rate, what can be done for example:

- You set the camera at 24fps

- You set one function button with a fps at 30

so while diving you can switch to one of the three fps value (24, 30 or 60 (HFR)) without touching the screen.

Otherwise I found the camera easy and to be more simple to use that a traditional mirorless camera. 

The screen is nice and readable under the sun, although i would need to compare it with the SamllHD 502 Bright I have.

Battery life is short compare to a GH5, it would be needed to connect a second battery to the DC connector, so you could you use both internal and external battery will diving.

If an housing will be, I thing its going to be much larger than the one for the GH5 for example, as the BMPCC 4K is larger, you will need an external battery and eventually an external SSD.

Edited by Atobit, 29 October 2018 - 01:03 AM.

#69 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:26 AM

Yes, it basically has a highly similar if not the same sensor as the Panasonic GH5S, but with one significant difference, the camera can shoot 4K in RAW in addition to ProRes 422 Internally. Granted, I too am very interested to see just how it actually does, as I am already familiar with what RAW files give you in terms of how much more it gives you to work with in color correction as well as dealing with low light shooting situations.

Another point I keep hearing about this new camera is that battery chosen to power it is ridiculously in adequate. A power source that can only keep the camera running for 35 to 40 minutes is far from enough for underwater usage. But, there is a very viable solution. One of those being the Core SWX Powerbase EDGE 14.8V, 49Wh, Lithium-Ion battery that can easily works with the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera. 

Although this external battery is nearly as large as the Pocket Cinema Camera body, it can provide more than triple the runtime of the camera, even when shooting RAW. The mounting system is apparently simple to rig up where you have a quick release plate on the battery to which the camera is mounted directly on top, and a V-Mount system on the underside so that it could be attached to an underwater housing plate like the ones used in Nauticam’s housings. The key there is that the designer of the housing also incorporates the added battery system. 

Yes, it will make the housing bigger, but one must not forget the higher the mass of the housing, generally equates to greater the stability underwater when shooting video. And the price for the Core SWX Powerbase EDGE battery should not break you either at $264.00 USD at B&H - https://www.bhphotov...small_form.html

Attached Images

• Core Edge.jpg

Edited by Walt Stearns, 03 November 2018 - 05:28 AM.

#70 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

Nauticam have solved the battery issue time and again With the SonyA7Sii as well as the Blackmagis Cinema camera. I really don't see this as a huge obstacle.

11_dee5ec14-fb5d-4edd-9823-31da34848252_

#71 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted Today, 06:25 AM

Here is a thread from Blackmagic forum describing the power requirement of the pocke 4K:
https://forum.blackm...php?f=2&t=81677
Best Regards,
Thani