Any interest in the MWL-1?

#22 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

Any interest in the MWL-1?

It looks interesting, but no zoom through capability - so not as flexible as the WWL for m43. For FF it might be a good option vs the WACP.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#23 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:22 PM

I am not sure what field of view you need in the cenotes
If you dont need to go too wide I would recommend a 12mm lens and then you can decide exactly which one depending on the need to zoom or not those lenses will be crisp down to f/2.8
If you do need wider the WWL-1 is the way to go in terms of settings i dont know what lights you have however in ntsc system I would recommend you shoot 30 fps 1/60 if the footage is still shaky you can bring it down to 24p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#24 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:31 PM

In your opinion the lens you use with the WWL-1 is the best option?  

The 14-42mm II with the Macro35 port in conjunction with the WWL-1 is at the moment, probably the best lens combo for m43 and in particular the GH5.

It provides a number of benefits over the other lenses and dome combinations, including: 

• Corner sharpness at low f stops (as we are dealing with a pre-corrected flat image)
  • Ability to use lower f stops
  • Includes OIS - vs the 7-14mm equivalents.
  • Dual IS2 with the GH5
  • Wider (5-15mm eqv) - but suffers from some slight fisheye
  • Ability to remove WWL1 and then you have an 18mm-55mm eqv behind the flat port
  • Ability to use the CMC-1 and CMC-2 for macro

​All on the same dive! :)

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

#25 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:50 AM

Before i pull the trigger here on another couple thousand dollars.  What situation would you say my current set up shines and  is ideal for?  ( Olympus 7-14 M.Zukio Pro 2.8 with glass dome)

Edited by gearbow_36218, 17 April 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#26 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:28 AM

I do not use the power zoom lens because it does not leverage dual IS on the GH5 body. The PZ has a nice smooth zooming action but the 14-42MKII is sharper this is the lens I use and I have had them both I sold the PZ. If you had a BMPCC 4K or a GH5s with no stabilization than maybe the PZ is better

In terms of macro it is not a macro lens you need to use diopters 

https://interceptor1...-panasonic-gh5/

Once you have the right wet lenses most is covered maybe you need a 60mm for specific situations where you either need the working distance or have a super tiny target

Checking out that blog post.  You use the double diopter holder and do you also carry the WWL-1 lens on a bayonet mount holder?  Or the diopter dive is for macro specific dives? 

#27 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:53 AM

Checking out that blog post.  You use the double diopter holder and do you also carry the WWL-1 lens on a bayonet mount holder?  Or the diopter dive is for macro specific dives? 

The WWL-1 is a big beast and when I use it it is fixed there. I use the bayonet mount as I sometimes use filter between the port and the lens

For a macro site I would not have the WWL-1 and no bayonet just dual flip holder

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#28 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:35 AM

The WWL-1 is a big beast and when I use it it is fixed there. I use the bayonet mount as I sometimes use filter between the port and the lens

For a macro site I would not have the WWL-1 and no bayonet just dual flip holder

Hey I would like to purchase this. Would you mind doing me up a shopping list including your macro flip stuff and that filter you're talking about?

#29 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

So far I have:

-

Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA OIS

Nauticam N85 Marcro Flat Port 35 with 67mm threads.

Nauticam WWL-1 Wet Wide Lens 130 degs  67MM WetMate lens

Nauticam Buoyancy Collar for WWL-1 lens

Nautican Hard Cap for WWL-1

-ReeNet Subsee Magnifier +5
Nauticam CMC-2 Compact Macro ConverterMacro 
-Saga M67 Double Flip

Nauticam M67 to Bayonet Mount Converter For Wet Lenses.

Nauticam Zoom Gear For Panasonic 14-42MM Lens  This is actualy the wrong zoom gear for the Macro 35 port.   I would have to order from Nauticam direct.   I need 36057 P1442II-Z correct.  

I'm considering just ordering the subsea +5 to start and droping the dual flip as i already have a single M67 flip for my OLY 60mm macro and the CMC-1.  I can just transfer the flip i have from the Macro port 65 to the macro 35 port and switch out the CMC-1 for the Subsee +5 no? 

That should still cover me for most situations on the medium to close up range.  

You mentioned a Filter that you sometime use between the Macro 35 port and wet lens or you sometimes take the wetlens off and put a filter while shooting medium close up subject through flat port?

#30 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:12 PM

Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH POWER OIS LUMIX G X VARIO  

Tweet Share

This looks like a amazing lens no?  panasonic12-35f28x.jpg

Anyone know if Nauticam is going to support this?

#31 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

The 12-35mm doesn’t / isn’t supported behind a flat port unfortunately. As it would be an amazing lens also.

The lens you want is the :

“Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH OIS”.
- Be careful as you could end up with the old variant, if you don’t specify the Mk II part.

With the correct corresponding zoom gear:

#36057 - PANASONIC LUMIX G VARIO 14-42MM F3.5-5.6 II ASPH MEGA O.I.S

The filter that sits between the WWL1 and the Macro35 is from Keldan. There are 3 variants depending on depth

b518a1ec915ce3f0bde32080c852039e.jpg

Bear in mind the WWL1 I don’t think will work with a flip adaptor - hence why Nauticam developed their bayonet so you are right to get that, however you might want to get the bayonet adaptor for the CMC2 so you can use it on the same dive as the WWL1 - and I personally would also get the CMC1 instead of the ReefNet+5 due to its deeper rear mount which get the rear element closer to the flat port.

If going down that route, have a look then at the Nauticam bayout holders for their strobe or buoyancy arms to hold your wet lenses while diving.

Regards, Richard

---

#32 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

RIchard does the keldan filter sit between the port and the filter even a bayonet mount is used?

#33 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

RIchard does the keldan filter sit between the port and the filter even a bayonet mount is used?

Yes. There is a slight groove on the rear of the WWL, where the filter fits :-)

Regards, Richard

---

#34 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:45 PM

Re Reefnet Subsee vs CMC-1 they are totally different lenses
The reason why I use the subsee is because the 14-42 lens stops focussing at around 10-11” from the port. You now have a wide area of work and if you go with the CMC-2 you jump to 3-4” from the subject
So the lenses you need must be weaker either the subsee 5 or the inon 165. The optical quality of the subsee is far better than the inon so this is what I use, the gap from the port with the flip is irrelevant at 6-10” working distance
Once the subset stops focussing the next lens is the CMC-2
Everything is fully explained on my blog in the post macro rig

Re Keldan the filter is set up on land and frankly removing the WWL-1 in water to put it on a arm is impossible once you fit the buoyancy collar so I have not invested in the bayonet mounts for the close up lenses because they are bulky and heavy

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#35 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

Re Reefnet Subsee vs CMC-1 they are totally different lenses

Sorry my mistake - I had assumed the CMC-1 was similar to the ReefNet. GearBow - ignore me on that part! :)

Regards, Richard

---

#36 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:19 AM

I wrote a comprehensive article on how to choose a close up lens

https://interceptor1...rwater-mft-rig/

The short version is that 2.8x 4.5x are not true they depend on the camera lens port you use and actually focal length of the close up lens is what should be used however only inon provides this information, the second best option is to provide diopters in water that can be converted in focal lenght worst option is to say the magnification which provides a completely misleading and disappointing experience to most judging from the number of close up lens that are going on sale on the classified section...

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#37 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:15 AM

<snip> frankly removing the WWL-1 in water to put it on a arm is impossible once you fit the buoyancy collar so I have not invested in the bayonet mounts for the close up lenses because they are bulky and heavy

I disagree.  I have the bayonet mounts on my arms and the buoyancy collar fitted to to my WWl-1 and have no problems at all fitting or removing it underwater.  I will do that multiple times on a single dive pretty much every time I get in the water with it.  I'm not really sure why you think that it is "impossible".

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#38 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:20 AM

The answer is specific to the GH5 there is no room around the lens to manouvre and with gloves literally the finger does not even fit in
Maybe you have very long thin fingers ir a different camera where you can take the lens off. It was possible with the rx100 and the gx7 using ultralight tray with the gh5 and the nauticam handle too much hard work for me glad it works for you

Edited by Interceptor121, 18 April 2019 - 03:28 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#39 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:28 AM

Sorry, but I am using a GH-5 in a Nauticam housing.  Frankly, I wish that I had long thin fingers - it would make playing my bass much easier, but in fact, I actually have fairly small hands.  I did the the extension for the bayonet release that Nauticam sells, which does help a bit.

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#40 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:31 AM

Sorry, but I am using a GH-5 in a Nauticam housing.  Frankly, I wish that I had long thin fingers - it would make playing my bass much easier, but in fact, I actually have fairly small hands.  I did the the extension for the bayonet release that Nauticam sells, which does help a bit.

which extension?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nauticam gh5, GH5, port GH5, lens GH5