3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisdarke

chrisdarke

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hi there!

So I have a bit of a weird situation with my current set up, in that I have an Aquatica housing with LED flash trigger, and a YS-D1, and a YS-D2. As has been documented in various forum threads, the YS-D2 is not very sensitive, and so doesn't trigger from most LED flash triggers. That means that the solution I came up with is to trigger the YS-D1, and have the output of the D1 trigger the D2. 

That means running a fiber optic from the housing to the left (D1) strobe, and another fiber optic from the left strobe ALL the way to the right (D2). This was not possible with the length of the arms and my usual fiber optic cables so I ordered a long Sea & Sea cable which cost over $80, and still was not long enough. So I am building my own.

For this after a few measurements I guesstimated that these parts would work:

25 feet of TosLink fiber optic (already tested with some Toslink to make sure it triggered): https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some rubber grommet thingys that would fit snugly in the Sea & Sea FO hole: https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some o-rings that would fit snugly over the grommets: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So.. on to the build

Cut the fiber optic on a hard surface

IMG_0045.jpg

Measure out the length by running it along the whole setup as if its being installed

IMG_0041.jpg

Trim back the rubber from the outside of the fiber, exposing the still coated core

IMG_0047.jpg

Trim the little ridge on the rubber grommet, so that the o-ring can fit in the groove

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Place o-ring, this should now fit snugly in the FiberOptic hole

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Trim the rubber on the fiber optic back to where when slide inside the grommet, it just peeks out the other end. The fit with this brand of fiber optic was nigh on perfect!

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

You should only need a bit of rubber cement to hold the fiber in place.. 

Thats pretty much it!! I now have over 2 foot of fiber optic for about $3! Pretty happy with the results. Obviously it doesn't have the coiling functionality of the branded fiber optic but I am going to be using some clips to hold it along the arms.

Edited by chrisdarke, 30 August 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#2 chrisdarke

chrisdarke

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Final Product: 

IMG_0043.jpg

#3 trimix125

trimix125

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hi,
nice done.
Have the same problem with a Hugyfot housing and D500...
Sometimes the trigger is ok, sometime not. Testet Aquatica and Turtle.
So i had the same idea:
Triggering one YS 250 pro, from there the next,....
I have longer cables, but still too short.
So i have used a piece of plastik, with a hole that fits tight enought for the plugs, and put the kables in from both sides.
Works fine, if the trigger does...
Today i will try to pimp omne of the cables.
If it works, will be documented ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

#4 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Excellent!  

Commercial fiberoptic cables, such as the Sea&Sea's are grossly overpriced and damage easily.

Now they have braided the fiberoptic cable to make them stronger, but the price gouging is at least 30 times

the true cost.  Us UW photographers are being ripped off!

Using eBay or Amazon fiberoptic audio cable is the solution.  

I particularly lke your use of the Amazon grommets, thank you for the suggestion.

I too have been using Toslink audio cable for my fiberoptics, since 2014, with no problems.

The cables connect my Subal ND800 to 2 Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobes.  I thread my cables through the

openings in the arms, or wrap them around.  

Please tell us about your other DIY solutions.  DIY is fun and pays for itself !  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiber Optic, Sea & Sea, DIY