• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 acottonphoto

acottonphoto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

Wondering if anyone shooting with mirrorless cameras for ambient-only, wide angle (at or within a couple meters of the surface) is noticing a magenta color-shift in their files that cannot be corrected in camera (with custom white balance) or in post completely?  It seems there are a few shooters running into this issue.

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

By mirrorless do you mean a particular brand of mirrorless camera,? something like this has to do with the combination of sensor and the processing engine of the camera and after that the program used for RAW development, not whether the camera uses a mirror or not.  If it's truly  a cast and not for example magenta in the shadows, I doubt it is not correctable in post,  Magenta is corrected with the tint control rather than colour temperature.  There are limitations of course, if you start a long way out you can rrun into problems, but if it is a light cast then I'm sure it is correctable if you use the right tools.

Do you have some examples you could post?

#3 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

Sony cameras had this problem (and still do in current generation cameras as far as I know). It's basically down to how they do custom white balance -- they boost the red channel, which results in purple water column.  Canon, by contrast, seems to handle underwater white balance by desaturating the blues and greens and largely avoids this issue.

But it's relatively easy to fix in post, certainly for photos. Just use the Hue slider in Lightroom to shift blue from magenta towards blue. You could probably correct for it in-camera too by changing the color phase (in the video picture profile) to rotate magneta towards blue.

My Panasonic GH4 also did this to some extent. Same fix.

Could you tell us what camera you're experiencing this with and post some samples for people to try to fix?

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:23 AM

I had this issue with Olympus M4/3 cameras and Lumix WA lenses, especially the 7-14 zoom.  The purple fringing happened when there was flare or something close to it in bright sunlight. It was well known at the time but I never found a fix. I never had the problem underwater though. 

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

Red Cameras have / had this issue, hence why they developed the H2O OLFP Filter - which in all intents and purposes seems just a very strong UV block filter

Never used a UV filter underwater, so no idea if it would help other cameras.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mirrorless, colorshift, wideangle