2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnVila

JohnVila

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

Hi

I have Nikon D500 in Nauticam housing. I already have the 4.33" and  8.5" domes along with 20mm and 40mm port extensions. Currently using the Tokina 10-17mm.

I would like to try out some astrophotography and have considered the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 as a start. From this forum I can see that this lens has positive reviews for underwater use and I could use my existing 8.5" port. The nauticam chart recommends a 50mm extension - could I combine the 20 and 40 as a 60 and achieve same results?

When I was back in Australia last week I visited a camera dealer and they recommended the 11-20mm f2.8 instead. I was hoping to get something I could use topside and underwater but have not been able to find too much information on the 11-20mm for underwater use.

Any opinions on which would be better? I did notice that the N120 port chart from nauticam does not specify zoom gears for the 11-20mm or would the 11-16 still work?

Cheers

John

Edited by JohnVila, 10 September 2018 - 06:56 PM.

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

I have the old (version 1) 11-16/2.8 and it was fantastic when i shot DX.

Sounds like the 11-20mm is the newest version of this lens - its replaced the 11-16mm version 2. A quick search implies its just as sharp and with the longer zoom range it seems like a no-brainer. My guess is that the 11-16mm is still for sale to clear out existing stock. 

My biggest issue with the 11-16mm was the short zoom range - it just felt like an 11mm lens with a little give. Now I shoot the Nikon 16-35mm on full frame and find the long end very useful at times. 

I am surprised your housing brand doesn't support the 11-20mm. I'd contact them or perhaps a dealer like Backscatter that may have figured this lens out. 

I would not compromise on the extension ring length. Alining lenses with domes properly is very important. 

Cheers,

Chris

#3 JohnVila

JohnVila

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the feed back Chris - I understand what you mean re the extra zoom.

The problem I am having however is that I am unable to determine if Nauticam have the zoom gear for this lens - so far three suppliers have said it is not supported and Nauticam itself are looking into it.

Has anyone used this lens in Nauticam housing? If so which zoom gear did you use? Port extension size?

Cheers

John

Edited by JohnVila, 20 September 2018 - 09:02 PM.