Panasonic m43 10-20mm f/1.7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, film photography, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:29 AM

Just announced at Photokina but not in production. This could be close to my do-it-all prayers, as long as it focuses closely, say 0.3x or better. What say you?

#2 Wapiti

Wapiti

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:55 PM

Interested, but I think it would be tough to get it into a port.  The 77mm front filter diameter is pretty darn big; add in the length and it's probably a no-go.  I still plan on keeping an eye on it, as it might be possible to fit it into my Inon dome with enough extensions (assuming the optics and close focus ability make it usable under water).

#3 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, film photography, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:38 AM

Probably right about trying to wrench that into a port. Id be happy with a slower (and skinnier) lens with that zoom range.

#4 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:15 AM

Probably right about trying to wrench that into a port. Id be happy with a slower (and skinnier) lens with that zoom range.

Canon EF-M 11-22mm? Not worth changing camera systems for? :)

#5 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:24 AM

There are plenty of wide options, including Olympus 9-18 and Panasonic 7-14 - and Ive used them both, but what is missed is a zoom that is long enough to shoot portraits, and wide enough to shoot people and a little scenery for what I do much of the time. I shoot Canon above water, but that particular lens isnt long enough for me.

#6 Wapiti

Wapiti

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

I currently shoot the PL 8-18 as it's juuuust long enough for fish portraits underwater, yet plenty wide enough for most things above and below the surface (plus, it takes filters).  M43 has plenty of choices, and I think this 10-25 will be more useful topside as the wide aperture is not important underwater.