5 replies to this topic

#1 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

Over the years I encountered occasionally a small (maybe 1cm - 4 cm) clownfish species (?) that is distinct from the abundant species Amphiprion bicinctus (also their juveniles) by the following criteria:

#1.: Second dorsal fin has white rim and black speck.

#2.: Caudal fin detto

#3.: Behaviour is very different: swimming around fast and nervous, bending the body and waving with fins.

Is this a second, less abundand species of clownfish that occurs in the Red Sea? A juvenile form of a wrasse (I could not find this wrasse in my fishguides, nor in Internet)?

Here a photo of one of these ll'l guys:

_ADO1123.jpg

And here, for comparison two photos of the clownfish of the Red Sea (Amphiprion bicinctus):

Clownfish_4.jpg

Clownfish_3.jpg

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis, 17 March 2019 - 12:40 AM.

#2 bmorescuba

bmorescuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Critter ID, Pit Bull Rescue

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

One of my Red Sea ID books has Amphiprion sebae as occurring in the Red Sea. It specifically describes:

"The second white bar extending along the top of the second dorsal fin, tail rounded."

Sounds/looks like a possible match.

Brian Cole | Flickr Sets

#3 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hi Brian,

Thank you - I did not know that that Amphiprion sebae occurs in the Red Sea. The fish on the photo is, however, certainly not A. sebae, see here for photos:

https://en.wikipedia...Sebae_clownfish

Wolfgang

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

I found a superficially similar juvenile in Lembeh Strait, I took it to be be a Juvenile Clarks's as it was in the same anemone as adult Clark's .

JuvenileClownfish.jpg

It's probably not your fish but serves to illustrate variation from adult form in other species.

I also found this page :  https://www.fishbase.de/photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=11837# and there are fish uploaded to the fishbase page which resemble your fish and on the page for bicinctus.  There is a link to send comments to someone about the page which may be a link to someone knowledgeable in the species.

#5 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:25 AM

It's probably not your fish but serves to illustrate variation from adult form in other species.

I also found this page :  https://www.fishbase.de/photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=11837# and there are fish uploaded to the fishbase page which resemble your fish and on the page for bicinctus.  There is a link to send comments to someone about the page which may be a link to someone knowledgeable in the species.

Hi Chris,

Thanks, this link is interesting - indeed there are three photos under A. bicinctus resembling the fish in question (but the thumbnails show high variability of A. bicinctus, maybe some photos were erroneously atributed to A. bicinctus, judged by geographic location?). The juvemiles I saw so far, do not look like the fish in question, they look just like little versions of the adults. I will contact them and ask. Is there a second species that is not well descibed in the Red Sea or is there just enormous variability in shape/coloring/behaviour during growing up of the single species?

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis, 19 March 2019 - 02:26 AM.

#6 Sol24

Sol24

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Marine biology, macrophotography

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:47 AM

Amphiprion bicinctus is the only  Amphiprion in the Red Sea according to "The Fishes of the Red Sea—Reappraisal and Updated Checklist", DANIEL GOLANI & SERGEY V. BOGORODSKY.