Photo
- - - - -

Who is excited about Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

12-Bit RAW!!!! 5" screen means no need external monitor. Recording to external SSD through USB-C. Battery life is about 60 minutes, I think it's doable just replace battery on every dive, battery is Canon LP-E6, very cheap. I hope Nauticam will make a housing for it soon. The price of the camera is so reasonable especially you get a full version of Davinci Resolve.

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

Looks good!

But I don't think its not going to happen, unless there is support for some sort of LANC controller to control the camera.

The camera is heavily controlled by the touch screen, with the videos I've seen, most of the adjusters being in different places depending on what you want to adjust. Making the use of hard to soft buttons (like on the atomos housings) would make a mess of the screen, as you would have to cover the number of options.

Have a look here, to see what I mean about the different screens (click the different 'Monitor' 'FPS' 'Shutter Angle' etc.. on the webpage to see the different screens) 

https://www.blackmag...camera/software

Would be amazing thou, as it shares the GH5s sensor, but seems to extract more performance from it.

Exciting times, especially with ProResRAW on the horizon too!

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

Not sure if those onscreen item can be navigated using some sort of cursor button. Time will tell, there is already quite a few underwater touchscreen solution out there. If there is a wifi remote control ability, there might be some possibility of tethering solution?

#4 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

The camera is very competitive in many aspect, just concern that CDNG files are very heavy to manage.
Also Panasonic will have sell the GH5S sensor to BMD knowing they‘ll release a camera that directly compete with the latest camera?
It’s sounds strange.
Or Pana may have a plan to release a firmware update that allow Atomos to record PRORES RAW through the HDMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

Looks good!

But I don't think its not going to happen, unless there is support for some sort of LANC controller to control the camera.

The camera is heavily controlled by the touch screen, with the videos I've seen, most of the adjusters being in different places depending on what you want to adjust. Making the use of hard to soft buttons (like on the atomos housings) would make a mess of the screen, as you would have to cover the number of options.

Have a look here, to see what I mean about the different screens (click the different 'Monitor' 'FPS' 'Shutter Angle' etc.. on the webpage to see the different screens) 
https://www.blackmag...camera/software

Would be amazing thou, as it shares the GH5s sensor, but seems to extract more performance from it.

Exciting times, especially with ProResRAW on the horizon too!

Not sure if those onscreen item can be navigated using some sort of cursor button. Time will tell, there is already quite a few underwater touchscreen solution out there. If there is a wifi remote control ability, there might be some possibility of tethering solution?

This is really a promising camera. IMHO and my little experience with earlier blackmagic cinema cameras, their color science is very good. And raw changes everything since it tolerates heavy color correction in post in addition to the ability to adjust white balance. If a housing is made for it, I’ll buy it in a heart beat :)

Most of the needed functions have buttons:
Controls
Touchscreen menus on 5 inch screen. 1 x Power Switch, 1 x Record Button, 1 x Stills Button, 1 x Scroll Wheel with push integrated into handgrip, 1 x ISO Button, 1 x White Balance, 1 x Shutter Button, 3 x software configurable Fn buttons, 1 x High Frame Rate (HFR) Button, 1 x Zoom Button, 1 x Menu Button, 1 x Play Button, 1 x Focus Button and 1 x IRIS Button.

Check the diagrams on the page:
https://www.blackmag...hspecs/W-CIN-12
Best Regards,
Thani

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

The camera is very competitive in many aspect, just concern that CDNG files are very heavy to manage.
Also Panasonic will have sell the GH5S sensor to BMD knowing they‘ll release a camera that directly compete with the latest camera?
It’s sounds strange.
Or Pana may have a plan to release a firmware update that allow Atomos to record PRORES RAW through the HDMI.

Its a Sony Sensor in both, the IMX294CJK

https://www.sony-sem...mx294cjk_e.html

Its been on the market since July 2017 too, so probably isn't under any exclusivity deal with Panasonic, so its a free for all to incorporate the sensor. Its also used in the newly announced Z-Cam E2 (which is sacrificing bit depth to gain the 4k@120.)

-

I saw the buttons on the top and jog dial on the front, maybe there is enough to start / stop and change minimum settings without interfacing with the screen? Await Sept :)

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

Yes look like a lot of the essential functions have physical buttons. Having Function button would help too. The great thing is it supports speedbooster as well, so you have more option for faster and wider lens. It can be charge through the USB-C, not sure if it can power the camera while it's in use.

There is however a concern, that's the fan and the heat:

The amazing thing is, this camera basically is the price of the GH4 when it first came out, and this camera offer a hell lot more features than GH4. Time will tell. The funny thing is the "Z Cam E2" basically become way inferior right out of the gate.

#8 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:49 AM

This does seem very promising if Nauticam makes a housing for it. Would be a great compliment to the GH5/GH5s line for video. Wish they had implemented Prores RAW if it really is that much more computationally efficient than cDNG/compressed cDNG (which only Davinci Resolve really supports). 

That said, one annoying aspect is the form factor and consequently the form factor of the housing. It's nice to have a large monitor built in, but it's limited in the same way that the camera monitor in current DSLRs is -- no easy way to see it from above or adjust the position. Similarly, a longer-style housing like C200 or Red housings would be nice from a trim perspective. 

But there's no denying this brings a lot of bang for the buck. Makes an upgrade to a C200 or EVA-1 + Atomos Ninja V a lot less appealing in some ways.

#9 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:24 AM

What's the battery life on a GH4/GH5 (in comparison to the ~60 mins quoted in that video for the new Blackmagic camera)?

#10 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:27 AM

What's the battery life on a GH4/GH5 (in comparison to the ~60 mins quoted in that video for the new Blackmagic camera)?

Recording 4K.

GH5 - 2hrs - 2:30hrs

GH4  - 2:30hrs - 3hrs

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#11 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:15 AM

Whoa!!

Its gonna be a big housing! (But obviously you potentially don't need an external monitor...)

SIZE1.jpg

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#12 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

If there is an housing to be built... they need to add a way to add a power brick to it.. ala the nauticam 6500(?) housing

#13 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

It really is a bit of an odd form factor, isn't it?

I can't see this as being all that useful hand-held since the monitor doesn't swivel out or even tilt -- and without an evf, can't really use it like a DSLR. Given how wide it is, it's not going to work great on any of the one-handed gimbals. Seems like this is meant to live on a tripod..

Whoa!!

Its gonna be a big housing! (But obviously you potentially don't need an external monitor...)

SIZE1.jpg

#14 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:37 PM

The form factor looks really weird. Also that large screen will not help so much underwater as it will sit low in any housing and particulary for macro you‘d still have to stick your head in the sand to use it. If at least it would be tiltable, housing mfg could consider a housing with the screen being tilted upwards 20 degrees or so, which would already help.

#15 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:22 AM

The form factor looks really weird. Also that large screen will not help so much underwater as it will sit low in any housing and particulary for macro you‘d still have to stick your head in the sand to use it. If at least it would be tiltable, housing mfg could consider a housing with the screen being tilted upwards 20 degrees or so, which would already help.

You took the words out of my mouth bubffm. Totally agree

#16 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

Well, what do you know? The screen on the Black Magic is already tilted to begin with! I think Black Magic really put a lot of thought into this camera:

SIZE3.jpg

And look at that screen size! I don't think you really have to be at eye level to look at that screen because of the size, and if you have focus peaking on, you can just look down and see what's in focus easily:

SIZE4.jpg

#17 SWink

SWink

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

Apart from the short battery life the only other downside I can foresee is overheating. I see that it uses a fan to cool down the processor - I wonder how that will work inside a housing?

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm, & Olypmus 14-42mm, 12-50mm 60mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#18 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

I believe RED cameras has fan running to cool as well. Yet Nauticam can make housing for them. We shall see.

#19 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Apart shooting raw the GH5/GH5S might be a better option.
Does the BMCC 4K will have standard color profiles in it, like the rec709?
Most people’s don’t like and/or don’t know how to grade raw/log file, so this camera might be not for everyone.

#20 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:53 AM

Was BMPCC a good camera underwater? I bought one and sold it in less than a month, I found it very difficult to use.