• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 shootingdestin

shootingdestin

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:16 AM

I've recently switched from DiveR composite fins in an Omer foot pocket to the 300 foot pockets from C4 using the C4 Indian soft (25) blade.  They are amazing.  Easily a pound lighter than anything I've ever worn and extremely hydrodynamic and efficient.

As far as coral concerns/worries from freedive fins, our area (Destin, Fl) doesn't have coral beds, just sand bottoms and wrecks. 

Cheers

#122 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

Long-time (10 years) user of Apollo Bio-Fin Pro, with spring strap.   Wore out one set of spring straps, but the fins are doing fine.

There are pros and cons for these fins.   They are natural rubber split fins.   They are very efficient.  I swapped fins once with a buddy, and it was like wearing nothing at all!  I thrashed my feet, but didn't seem to move much.  Meanwhile my buddy would flip one fin and be 10 feet ahead. Bottom line is, they work very well indeed for moving forward and saving air.

The con is that they are heavy.   Heavy to pack, and heavy in the water, so they tend to pull your feet down.  I sometimes blow air through my wetsuit into my boots to help trim them out a bit.  

Being soft, they also are not easy to back up in.  You can do it, but slowly.  I assume a stiffer fin is better at this.

#123 cjorca

cjorca

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

Cool thread !

Warm water - love my Cressi Garra Blades .... I’ve had the same pair for over 20 yrs ....
NEVER touched the reef with them (keep a nice frog kick or high ankle scull & WALA - silt free & coral safe)

Cold water - the same USD Blades I bought shortly after I 1st stared diving in 1989 (have upgraded to spring straps for easier on/off)
Also have a pair of Quatros too.
I’ve always thought to try others, but never seamed to get around to it

#124 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

I think which fin to choose will depends on which one makes you the better diver. As in your control. We all know that biuyancy is a Hugh factor in taking pictures.

Light or heavy fins will only be relavent on your travel needs.