• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:12 AM

I depart for Shanghai the 11th and am meeting with two printers and hope to get some samples of their work. We have hired a marketing person to oversee our projects in Shanghai. She maybe looking for some extra work or know somebody who is. Where I need help is what "format" does everything need to be in for the Printer. Is there Publishing software so we can just hand the printer a disk?

Once again if there is a cheaper way to do this State side great! I will continue to follow up on things on this track.

#22 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:42 AM

Hi Martin,

Here is some contact info for you to consider. Don Kroitsch of Five Corners Publications, did the design work on my book in close association with me. He also got the printer arranged here in the states, but I doubt it'll be cheaper than obroad. I would call him and get a quote for two pieces:

1. Do the design work and provide output files for printers

2. Have the books printed.

His number is 802-345-3804.

Tell him Joe Belanger told you to call...reference my Catalina Island book. He is a great guy and easy to work with. He'll help design the cover as well.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#23 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Joe,

I will give him a call. First off let me say I am willing to work on this project but really looking for some of you go getting, hair on fire, a** kickers to get involved; come up with categories, titles, how should people submit photos, how do we get a count of interested contributors and buyers, etc.... (lets not have everyone volunteer to “review photos”) This is not my/mine/I project. I think if WE do this to keep costs down WE need to try to do as much ourselves as possible. One of the printers suggested QuarkXPress 6.5 for layout. Is anyone familiar with this program? Own it?

#24 gorgipark

gorgipark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:17 PM

If you are in Wetpixel you are an aspiring or accomplished photographer...
At the same time you are probably spending a good percentage of your paycheck buying camera stuff. I would assume that very picture in the book will have a subtitle with the subject title, the photographer... and...the camera, strobes, housing etc.... hmmmmm

Would any of our sponsors like to chip in... ? :D

#25 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

In ref to subject headings, my humble suggestion would be not to have any (?!) or text either. I was going through some of my coffee table books and realized that the text only really worked were there was a combining element (i.e. a book on a single location or single subject) and subject headings really require a balanced editorial approach (i.e. cannot have 1 photo in the "ice diving" category and 3000 in the "tropical macro" category).

I also realized that i did not actually read any of the text after my first read of a book. Text also creates a problem in that information on shots coming from so many contributors would be an editorial nightmare. I went back to Gutsy Tuasons and U's book on Anilao (my repeated favourite) and realized one of the thing I love so much about the book is that it is just photos (no text except the books intro) with each plate numbered so you reference the "exif" data which is inluded at the end of the book.

Having no text or subjects would let the photos stand on their own and make the whole thing much easier to handle.

#26 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5845 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

Guys -- we've moved the discussion offline for now. More details when they are finalized, but we think this can work. :)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#27 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

Not sure how often you'd want to print something like this. The downside I forsee is that many/most of the photographers on the forum (myself included) are young to the hobby/profession. This means that our skills are improving and interests are changing. I assure you that the images we submit will seem stale and sub-par a year after the book is published. I've had this experience with my own publishings.

Perhaps we should allow wetpixel to mature a bit, then do a book to celebrate its first decade.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#28 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5845 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

But part of the fun might be in seeing the changes in quality, as a community?

Martin sent me book samples from Guangzhou, and they look amazing.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#29 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:37 PM

I think this idea sounds great and would be willing to help and participate. I am just an amateur like many of us here but the whole idea sounds real intriguing to say the least. Count me in...

Tony
Tony
Life is one long surface interval

#30 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

I am just an amateur like many of us here but the whole idea sounds real intriguing to say the least.  Count me in...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto that!

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Lumix GX8 in Nauticam, Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#31 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

Add me to the list!

#32 jerome@gasava

jerome@gasava

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:38 AM

great idea !! You can add me on the list
www.imagebleue.com
Nikon d2x and Seacam Housing

#33 KarstenMoran

KarstenMoran

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:19 AM

I'm two steps out of college, but I would love to be a part of this.

#34 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:37 AM

In ref to subject headings, my humble suggestion would be not to have any (?!) or text either. I was going through some of my coffee table books and realized that the text only really worked were there was a combining element (i.e. a book on a single location or single subject) and subject headings really require a balanced editorial approach (i.e. cannot have 1 photo in the "ice diving" category and 3000 in the "tropical macro" category).

I also realized that i did not actually read any of the text after my first read of a book. Text also creates a problem in that information on shots coming from so many contributors would be an editorial nightmare. I went back to Gutsy Tuasons and U's book on Anilao (my repeated favourite) and realized one of the thing I love so much about the book is that it is just photos (no text except the books intro) with each plate numbered so you reference the "exif" data which is inluded at the end of the book.

Having no text or subjects would let the photos stand on their own and make the whole thing much easier to handle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First (after my long time away from Wetpixel (Lots of work, no diving)) I would like to tell that this is a great idea.

What I like for coffee table books is a few pages of text at the beginning with a short introduction and a few at the end with Name and Data (Photographer, Location, Equipment) for the single pictures by Page Number. Between this let the pictures stand for itself.

Any Plans on how to manage it -> Picture Selection , Layout (I could Help here), date...

How about selling it for a decent Price (25-30$) and give the revenue to some ocean protecting organization'?

Happy to be back (and back in the water in 2 days)
Simon

#35 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hi All,

(Disclaimer: The following is my opinion only and I do not speak officially for Eric/Wetpixel)

Like all of you I have been really busy. Happy to see continued interest in this project. I believe we have settled on a printer. Basic format will be Landscape, 1 photo per page with really exceptional photos maybe taking two pages. Each page will have a thumbnail picture of the Contributor and basic stats; location, camera, settings. It is possible mfgs and Wetpixel sponsors will be given space. I want to emphasize my commitment to keeping this essentially a “not for profit” project. As I have mentioned before I am willing to work with the printer, handle the shipping and final distribution to members, contributors, buyers. We are leaning to using Adobe InDesign for the layout; if anyone could help out with a copy of this it would be appreciated.

(IMHO) The big time suck would be if we choose 6 categories and everyone submits 2-3 photos per category. I think we have to come up with some kind of rule where you (Contributor) are forced to choose maybe 1-2 categories and only get to submit 1 photo per category. (Depending on interest) I think we have to limit the book to one photo per contributor.

Possible scenario:

We get two Wetpixel members per category to volunteer to be initial editors. We set up a week where people can submit their photos to these volunteers email box for review. The volunteers are mainly looking to see photos meet “minimum standard” and no one is trying to get more than one photo per category. Volunteers make rough cut, put in order (so you don’t have 4 turtle shots in a row) and submit to Main Editor. This process continues 1-2 months until all categories have been covered. At this point all the work gets dumped on Main Editor/s.

To my mind we need help with the following:

1. Categories
3. Setting of a basic minimum standard photos would have to meet
4. A hard count of contributors
5. Some kind of legal waiver for use of photos
6. We need a work flow for picture submission
7. Specific Non-Profit that any profits could go to

Folks let’s try to start moving this past the generalities stage. If you would like to tackle one of these subjects (or any I'm sure I have not thought of), please try to work it all the way through. Try to give us a working component.

I know this could be a fantastic book we just need to stop talking and start doing….
(MEANING NOT DUMPING ALL ON WETPIXEL MGT)

#36 whatisea

whatisea

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

I have been a long time reader but never posted before... someone had already taken my usual board name and I was never creative enough to come up with another one until now (and this one still isn't very creative). :)

I think this is a Fantastic idea! I for one would love to submit a couple of images and would gladly pay in advance for a copy of the book.

I don't know how much work it would take but you could set up a page on this site similar to a photo contest where each aspiring contributor could upload a low res copy of thier submittals and allow the general board membership to vote on each one. The 300 (or whatever number is decided upon) images with the best approval ratings get in. Hi res copies of the chosen images could then be submitted via CD or email to whoever is compling the book.

I don't think the legal disclaimer would be too difficult. Contributors give the publisher of this book full rights to use the artwork in any way associated with this book. The contributor still retains ownership of the photo and can continue to use it in other ways.

#37 bfhcreative

bfhcreative

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

hello all,

i'm a new member. I'm also a print designer/art director/brand consultant.

I love the community you've got going here, everyone is so passionate about UW. The book sounds like a great idea!

I don't know where you guys are in this project, if you need any help or not, but I would love to add my experience/skillset to the project if you guys need it.

hope I can help in some way.

Ben

#38 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:08 PM

My suggestions are to think larger and try to produce a stunning underwater digital photography book for mass consumption using images from wetpixel contributors. To do this, you would want to take the best pictures with only secondary considerations to having as many photographers contribute as possible. The book would need to be focused and organized by chapters – either types of images (macro, wide angle, wrecks, etc) or subjects (invertebrates, fish, marine mammals) or even location (oceans of the world). We would also need to focus on the editing, graphics layout and distribution side of the equation as well. I would also suggest that you actually pay contributors as well as wetpixel something. Paying to see my own image in print, for me, is little different than paying someone to make a print (but I’m a part time stock photographer which may not be representative of the membership). I think this is a great idea but while we are brain storming I would suggest we at least consider taking it to the next level.

I know this is WAY MORE than originally suggested. I also know that there is A LOT of talent here. . .
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#39 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

Count me in
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#40 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5845 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

I'm all for putting the weight and community of Wetpixel behind a book, or book series.

What I'm looking for is for someone to take charge of the project and include me in the approval loop for use of WP resources, including the community, name, PR, marketing, and limited budget. Originally, I thought that I would be able to do a lot more for the book, but I don't think that I will have time, given the amount of time that it takes to keep WP going.

I've been talking with Martin about all of this (NWDiver), and hopefully, something will get off the ground soon.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos