OM-D EM-1

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#81 KarenW

KarenW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Photography… I love landscape and underwater photography and when I travel - street; capturing people going about their everyday lives.

I'm passionate about the welfare of all animals and a very strong advocate against the Taiji dolphin slaughter and the current Western Australia's stand on culling sharks.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

Yes they do Karen, however the base of the ball also has the screw threads that the upper support bracket (silver metal in the pictures) attach to. With out this the handles are not as stable - it's not that bad though about 5mm flex if you push, I would be happy to use. So may want to ask Nauticam if there is an alternative top piece for the handles. The screw thread is large M8 I think but don't quote me on that.

Simon

Thanks Simon.. If they can be removed, I'm sure our island engineer can weave his magic with something :)

#82 KarenW

KarenW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Photography… I love landscape and underwater photography and when I travel - street; capturing people going about their everyday lives.

I'm passionate about the welfare of all animals and a very strong advocate against the Taiji dolphin slaughter and the current Western Australia's stand on culling sharks.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

Karen, you could mount a T plate on the handle and then use a sliding locline T-plate base such as those by Ikelite or 10 bar to attach your locline arm to the handle.

Thanks Alex…  I haven't received my housing yet.. joys of Island isolation, so it is hard for me to visualise your suggestion.  However at least I know there are alternatives and it is possible :)

#83 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

Any thoughts on the new lens introduced with the new EM10.?

It looks tiny.

m.Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ MSC power zoom

Ted Janssen

NEX-7, Nauticam,  INON, and ULCS

#84 simonknee

simonknee

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Look what arrived for me in the post today...

IMG_20140130_170742.jpg

Thanks Alex, I'll let you know how it goes (not in the water for a couple of months mind you)

Also got the replacement vacuum indicator bits - doesn't look to hard to swap at all.

Includes two spare LED in case you break the existing one getting it out which is a thoughtful touch.

Simon

Edited by simonknee, 30 January 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#85 simonknee

simonknee

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

Some more pics of the adapter in situ...

First the 50mm macro snout! You can see the control knob is nicely placed.

IMG_20140131_105323.jpg

The adapter is the correct length to allow full extension (close focus) of this lens.

IMG_20140131_105152.jpg

The gearing works correctly to allow manual focus but with the 50mm only allows fine adjustment since the oly gear has end stops.

Fine for photos since AF can do most of the work but I shall need to come up with a custom gear for video.

(n.b. it takes several full rotations to focus the 50mm infinity to close - and it is velocity sensitive too but you don't get much speed up on the knob)

IMG_20140131_105021.jpg

On with the dome - it actually goes on a few more mm than this pic shows and closes up the gap you see here.

But then you have to re-adjust the petals and I couldn't be bothered for this little shoot

IMG_20140131_104755.jpg

From above

IMG_20140131_104731.jpg

The lovely 8mm sitting where it should

IMG_20140131_104655.jpg

Now the 11-22mm with "customised" (draught excluder) gear from a 7-14mm.

A bit tricky to assemble as the knob has to stay in it's pulled out position.

But it all works as it shold which means the even larger 7-14mm would fit in this rig too.

IMG_20140131_104504.jpg

With dome and per-02 extender. 

I do not think this is at the nodal point at all and need to get a per-01 instead.

However there is no vignetting from the dome so it is worth testing in the water.

IMG_20140131_104214.jpg

And finally the lovely leak light showing I am leak free

IMG_20140131_104312.jpg

Simon

Edited by simonknee, 31 January 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#86 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Looking good, thanks Simon.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#87 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

It looks tiny.

It looks to me like it might make an ideal fish portrait lens in a very small package.

Ted Janssen

#88 MichaelS

MichaelS

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Dear Wetpixel experts,

first of all thanks for your expertise in advance, really appreciate the help. Hope I am not hijacking this thread… I am currently struggling with the following decision:

Either buying a new housing for my old camera (NEX-5N with Zeiss lens) or selling and buying an Oly EM-5 / EM-1 with housing.

Owned
---------------------------------
Camera: NEX 5N
Lens: Zeiss 24mm F/1.8 (I own also the zoom kit lens)
Housing: Meike (costs about 100$)

Problem:
- Housing is horrible - controls are almost impossible to handle and below 12m I have to shoot in AF mode, because the buttons are developing their own life…
- I really miss an underwater shooting mode, pictures were sometimes much better with my old Olympus XZ-1 (which I still own)
Solution: 10bar housing for Sony NEX 5N
Cost: 1200$

Up for debate
Camera: Olympus EM-5 (option 1) / Olympus EM-1 (option 2)
Lens: 12-40mm F/2.8
Housing: Olympus housing

Cost: EM-5 body + lens + housing costs me about 2000$ (I am travelling to Japan soon and will buy a used one)
         EM-1 body + lens + housing costs about 3000$

Summary
Option a) Buying 10bar housing for my NEX-5N with 24mm Zeiss lens: -1200$
Option b) Selling NEX-5N with 24mm Zeiss +800$ and buying EM-5 with housing -2000$ = -1200$
Option c) Selling NEX-5N with 24mm Zeiss +800$ and buying EM-1 with housing -3000$ = -2200$

Is the EM-5 + Olympus housing better than a NEX-5N with 10bar housing?
Is it worth tossing in an extra 1000$ and going for the EM-1 with Olympus housing?

Thanks again,

Michael

#89 KarenW

KarenW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Thanks Alex…  I haven't received my housing yet.. joys of Island isolation, so it is hard for me to visualise your suggestion.  However at least I know there are alternatives and it is possible :)

Hi Alex, housing arrived today!!!  Absolutely thrilled with the size, design and how it feels in my hands.  A simple modification was done within a couple of minutes.  All it took was inserting a larger stainless steel bolt & nut through one of the brace holes and locline bases are now attached.  I'd post an image if I could find how to attach the darn thing  :unsure:

#90 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Great news Karen, look forward to some images.

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com

#91 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

It looks tiny.

Bump

Ted Janssen

#92 KarenW

KarenW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

My first dive with the OM-D E-M! in the Nauticam housing and all I can see is I'm super impressed.  It feels just so right in my hands; a pleasure to use and I'm sure I'll become more proficient as time goes on.  This image was taken with the 12-50mm in the 60mm port and using the Austrian zoom gear and twin Z240's.  It wasn't the best of dives given the surge and building swell.  I was just happy to try out the new rig.

My next question is about Macro.   I have a Subsee +10 with a D300 Seatool 105mm vr port adapter.   Rather than purchasing the 60mm macro lens right now what macro wet lens /adapters could I use with the 12-50 (Austrian zoom) in the 60mm port?? 

_KPW3121.jpg

Edited by KarenW, 13 February 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#93 TedJ

TedJ

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

It looks tiny.

Any comments or users yet?

Ted Janssen

#94 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi Karen,

have spent the last 2 weeks in Anilao, first time using the OMD E5 in the Nauticam housing.
The 12 - 50 works fine with the Sub See +10mm. My other lenses there the 60mm macro, a realy superb lens, and as well used with the +10, and the 8mm fisheye.

Except some troubles with the mode dial, the setup was a pleasure to use.
And if i would not have spent 5 days out of the water being ill, there would be a big amount of pics ;-((

Greetings,
Wolfgang

#95 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Karen,

Just screw the Subsee +10 to the front of the macro port you are using with the 12-50mm, you’ll get good results with that combination.

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com

#96 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

Hi Karen,
i used a flip diopter holder, that made it easy to change between fish and tiny nudibranch ;-))
Mine is from the same shop as the austrian gear, but was a prototype built by a 3d plotter and 2 rings to fit the M67 fittings.
Would take the original one next time .....
Greetings,
Wolfgang

#97 KarenW

KarenW

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

Hi Wolfgang :)   Appears I have an older style Subsee that doesn't have the ability to screw straight onto the 60mm port as suggested by Alex.  So I either have to buy a new adapter to suit the port and Subsee, or a new Subsee..

Need a money tree in the back garden :(

Hi Karen,
i used a flip diopter holder, that made it easy to change between fish and tiny nudibranch ;-))
Mine is from the same shop as the austrian gear, but was a prototype built by a 3d plotter and 2 rings to fit the M67 fittings.
Would take the original one next time .....
Greetings,
Wolfgang

#98 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

Hi Karen,
maybe you need only an adapter ring for a different diameter.
Which port are you using?
The macro port or the 12 - 50mm port?

NAUTICAM Macro Port 65 for Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro (with M67 thread )
or

NAUTICAM Macro Port Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ ( with M77 thread )
if its the second, you just need a ring with M77 to M67.
Greetings,
Wolfgang

#99 Sea Lion

Sea Lion

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, geology

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Anybody know what kind of strobe connections the Aquatica housing will have for the E-M1?

#100 Sea Lion

Sea Lion

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, geology

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Question for more knowledgeable u/w photographers - Nauticam has a 4" curved port for the Olympus 9-18 mm lens, but Aquatica just announced their port for this lens, which is a much larger 8" dome port.  In their press release (http://aquatica.ca/e...ess_release.pdf), Aquatica states:

"Using an 8’’ dome wraps the projected virtual image at +/- 12’’ (30cm) from the external

surface of the dome lens, while a smaller dome port, such as one with a 6’’ diameter, will
force this virtual image to be wrapped a mere +/- 9” (23 cm) away. This might be a relatively
innocuous difference of distance in normal situations, but it is also common knowledge
that the closer the focusing distance, the harder it will be to get adequate depth of field. At
these close distances, such small difference does have a huge impact on the success of

the images taken."

Does this give the Aquatica port a significant advantage, say, when photographing a large school of fish?

Edited by Sea Lion, 27 February 2014 - 09:37 AM.