4 replies to this topic

#1 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:16 AM

Hello everybody,

I just started using add-on lenses on the Ikelite House (Canon G2). Because it is hard to get an macro lens here in Holland for the Ikelite house and because the price, I used a macro filter for land. It's a 67 mm +4 dioptrie and here is a example:

Posted Image

I nottice that the depth of field is not great. Will this be the case if a use a add-on lens such as Inon or S&S? And what is there magnification?

More examples on duikfoto.com - Pictures Holland - Grevelingen
29/09/'02 den Osse
10/11/'02 Kijkuitpolder

Mike

#2 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 03:07 AM

Interesting idea and its look you have really good results with it.

I assume you assemble the filter to the case in the water to avoid a gap of air between the lenses? Or do I wrong?
Do you see a decrease of the picture quality when you using the macro filter?
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#3 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 05:59 PM

This issue came up sometime ago when a poster had mentioned using external diopters that were not specifically for underwater - I had been a little dubious and had plumped for the purpose built INON macro at $150.

After this a freind started making his own holders to fit such "land type" diopters to a P9 externally - I was still dubious until I saw the results recently - I had considered the P9 inferior to the 4040 becuase of the lens and issues on usability - BUT the results spoke for themselves, the macro photos from the P9 using the "land diopters" were better than anything I was taking with 4040 and the INON - they were sharper and multiple dipoters meant they were closer with much more detail.

#4 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 12:01 PM

So far I didn't see a decrease of the picture quality. I'm happy with the results and 30 euro is not bad. Autofocus is limited but still usefull for a great range, you can even use the zoom. And yes I assemble the filter to the house in the water to avoid air between.

I also find out that I can make picture from greater distance with the camera off macro. You are limited but it's possible (autofocus keeps working). Some results you can see on the site, pictures holland, grevelingen, 29/09/'02 den Osse.

Next sunday I will do a test with a +4 and +2 together. This can be to much but you never know. If it's not to cold for my buddy (and me), I will do some test without, +2, +4 and +2+4(=6). Water temperature at the moment is 9 degrees celcius.

#5 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 05:40 AM

Is there a life at 9 degrees Celsius? B)
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.