• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 12:09 PM

Given all other features being the same, certainly I would pick the system with TTL - whether or not I choose to use it. The fact is that the other features are never the same, so I'm forced to place a value on TTL in comparison with other features - like AF, lenses, etc. Basically, from the arguments that you've made, you have placed a very high value on TTL, while many of us have not. In fact, you state that (paraphrased) "there is no arguing...EVERYONE shoots TTL when shooting macro in the film world." Well, obviously, that statement can be argued, as many of the best known pro photographers would testify otherwise.

It would be great if it were a given on every digital system, but it isn't and won't be in the near future. For now, I've experience far more divers stuggling with ineffective or defective TTL lookalikes, and it would take far less time to learn a few equations to control their lighting.

As I mentioned before, my next camera will be the D1 successor. The solid body, and amazingly fast and accurate focus sold me on the f5 and the D1. I expect the successor will have a full-frame sensor and at least 10MP. If the dTTL is deciphered by then, fantastic. If not, it won't change my choice.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#22 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:46 PM

sean

The 550ex can be setup as a slave, do you feel two of them would provide the coverage for your 16mm lens? Do you have some examples you could post?

#23 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 12:04 AM

Some examples of the a D30 with single housed 550EX can be found at wetpixel's kona aggressor ii webcast. Unfortunately, I found that using E-TTL wide-angle w/small subjects tended to overexpose them extremely.

Our prototype UK Germany housing didn't provide access to the exposure lock button (which functions as flash exposure lock in certain modes), so we couldn't properly lock flash exposure for subjects not sitting on one of the three focus points.

We used a diffuser in front of the 550 to widen the flash area.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#24 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 02:57 AM

I noticed on your next trip you used 2 DS 125's. Did you prefer that configuration? The shots on your Kona Trip I thought were rather good.

#25 sean

sean

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:41 PM

Reefkeep,

The 550ex can indeed be used as a slave, to either another 550ex or an ST-E2 transmitter, both wireless devices -- hmmm. I assume you can do this via a cable as well; so far I've only used the one strobe. I am very curious to learn if the wireless capabilities would work while the strobes are housed, but I really doubt it.

As for coverage, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. After 40-ish dives in Aus and about 2,000 shots (a large chunk of those were taken during the first three days and were all throwaways), I started to get the hang of exposing the scene for ambient light and using the strobe to fill in the foreground, thanks to being digital. I think I could do with about another 30 dives on the Yongala (that's a friggin' great place to shoot wide angle).

Here's one shot that I screwed up by placing the strobe wrong, taken on the wreck of the Yongala (about 10 days ago, sigh):

Posted Image

I had the strobe high and to the left, which is where the sun was. I should have moved the strobe around and illuminated the wee fishies in the dark part of the frame; either way enough light would have hit the belly of the ray.

If I had a second strobe that would have enabled me to light up all the wee fishies, but I do reposition my strobe a fair amount and having to twiddle with two of them sounds like I'd be missing shots due to longer twiddle time.

On the other hand, here's a very very close (and pregnant) grey reef shark:

Posted Image

One strobe seems to have done just fine, and she was only about 3 feet from me.

There is one important difference in the shooting conditions between the two shots though; vis at the shark feed was over 100', on the Yongala it was more like 40' with loads of particulate stuff, and backscatter was definitely an issue, so I had the strobe a lot further away while diving the Yongala.

Hope that helps!

#26 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:47 PM

I noticed on your next trip you used 2 DS 125's.  Did you prefer that configuration?  The shots on your Kona Trip I thought were rather good.

Yeah -- I prefer the dual DS-125 setup, even though I have to shoot in manual all the time. I think I'm a much better photographer for having been forced to shoot in manual all the time. When I finally get TTL, I'll still be able to shoot in manual should the conditions demand it. ;)

#27 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:25 PM

Eric,

Did you notice Ike's post to UW-Photo about the manual controller for his strobes? Sounds very interesting . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#28 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:22 PM

Did you notice Ike's post to UW-Photo about the manual controller for his strobes?  Sounds very interesting . . .

yeah -- I took a picture of the one that was out at DEMA, but didn't put it up in our report for some reason. Maybe I'm losing my mind! ;) I'll try to get one for some testing.

#29 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 12:54 PM

I am very curious to learn if the wireless capabilities would work while the strobes are housed, but I really doubt it.

I doubt it as well but that would be way cool!