bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Hi Michael,
Peter Ladell can be found at peter@fullimmersionphoto.com
When you are talking to him, ask him about his hand-made Nikon D200 housing. His work has to be seen to be believed!
As for the photos of the custom port, I would love to show you the pics, but I need someone to talk me through the posting process for this forum? Everyone seems to be attaching thumbnails that are capable of being enlarged with a click of the mouse...how do I achieve this?
Photo's have already been taken, I just need to know how to post them...
It's 5am over here and I'm up and about to take my son to work. He has a school based apprenticeship, where he works two days and then does three days at normal schooling...
I like the idea as to using the 1.4 T/C for the 60mm micro lens. I think that the 60mm is a great lens and was also thinking about the 1.4 convertor for it...have you used it in the field and what were the results compared to the 105mm?
Talk soon mate...pics to follow,
Bruce

#22 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hey Bruce-

Thanks for Peter's address.

If you go to "REPLY" and scroll down you will see "File attachments" then "browse". File size needs to be small...like in the 100-200k or less...Change your image size to like 640 x 480 or smaller, jpg, 72 dpi.

On my last trip to Bali my wife shot with the 60 exclusively and I the 105.. The 60mm has (in my opinion) better DOF (which I like). We were shooting the same fire urchin and zebra crabs and her shots were sharper (d70, 60mm) and I thought better. She will tell you that she is the better photographer and that may be true!

The 105 with extensions, etc is just tough to haul around and use U/W. If I can get the 60mm working with the ring flash it would be great!

Thanks Bruce,

M.

Edited by Starbuck, 18 February 2007 - 11:38 AM.

Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#23 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

I will second Pete's work. He made the port that I use for the canon 60 and 100 macro on a Subal housing. Works great on manual, Mathias's ttl sort of works at small stops, but overexposes a bit even though it thinks its working and the green lights on the strobe appear to say TTL is working as well.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#24 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

Pete can produce custom bits and pieces for all sorts of things - I've even had him skim hood/protectors of existing ports!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#25 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:34 AM

Inon_ring_flash005.JPG Inon_ring_flash008.JPG Hi Guys,
Michael, I have attached those pics that you have been waiting patiently for...
I hope that they come through OK..?
Don't worry if you don't hear from Peter straight away, he often goes off for a swim,
but he will definately contact you when he gets the time...he's a nice bloke...

Bruce

Hi Michael,
I think that i am getting the hang off this now...
BTW, that little groove at the back of the front section of the port is for the gripping screws.
Just push the ringflash onto the port and the screws line up with the groove...very neat.
Two more...

Bruce

Attached Images

• Inon_ring_flash009.JPG
  • Inon_ring_flash010.JPG

Edited by bruceterrill, 20 February 2007 - 02:37 AM.

#26 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

Hey Bruce-

that is a very nice looking custom port for the 60mm and z22! The other end of the z22 where you screw in the wet diopter is very narrow...does that block the view of the 60mm at all? Maybe not since Peter has the strobe pushed back pretty far on the custom port.

Anyway, I hope Peter is in the mood to make a few more!!!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Mike
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com

#27 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

Sorry Mike,
Didn't think to take the measurements of where the lens finishes inside the port. From what I have seen, the lens jack's right out nearly to the glass and the Z-22 goes right back near the glass. Very impressive snug fit. I have had no problems with any loss of view from the set-up. I will take measurements if you want me to?

Bruce

Attached Images

• Inon_ring_flash002.JPG

#28 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hey Bruce-

No, I dont need the measurements.....thanks.

I emailed Peter yesterday...hope he replies with a "yes".

Where are your pictures posted?

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com

#29 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:59 AM

Yes, the flash inside the UK-Germany unit is a MR-14EX.
MR_14EX.jpg

We just completed a trip to the andamans and this unit was used pretty heavily.
I will write a review (with pics) in a couple of weeks when I get back home.

Please send me a PM with any specific details you might like covered in the review.
---------------
Mark

#30 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hi Michael,
Some pics on flickr. Nothing outstanding, but having fun...

http://users.ncable.net.au/~bterrill/

Bruce

#31 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1528 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Please send me a PM with any specific details you might like covered in the review.
[/quote]
Mark: The questions I have are about how well the e-ttl worked if it did and how hard was it to handle the housing as it seems quite bulky from the pic.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#32 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:00 AM

Mark: The questions I have are about how well the e-ttl worked if it did and how hard was it to handle the housing as it seems quite bulky from the pic.
Bill

TTL seemed to work well. after all it is using original Canon electronics.
While the unit seems bulky when added to the housing the whole rig is only slightly negative. Easy to handle UW...
---------------
Mark

#33 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hey Michael,
Did Peter get in touch with you?
He has just got back from South Africa and the tiger Shark action.
Geez, I hope that he has still got all his fingers; I've got a job for him... ;)

Bruce

#34 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:30 AM

Hi Bruce -

No, Peter has not contacted me.... I'll drop him another email... I dont have any marco trips coming up so no worries on the port. When you get the SandS iTTL working let me know!

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com

#35 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

The two (or more) little strobes are mounted at a ring holder fixed around a Makro port they are mounted on little arms ( 3 cm ) so you are able to turn up and down to get a flexible lighting .......

Love to see some photos of your set up.

I'm thinking that we might have off the shelf components that would work for a two Nano strobe set up using a dual port bracket made for LED44 focus lights. You'd need to have another hardwired strobe as an optical trigger though. I guess you could double them up... Might have to give this a try.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr