• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TJO

TJO

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:08 PM

What are the pros and cons with a normal strobe in a housing (like the Canon 580EX) vs a customized UW strobe from Ikelite/Sea&Sea/Inon? It will be used with a Canon dSLR and TTL is prefered.

#2 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:16 PM

The main difference IMO is size, cost and handling. Basically the 580EX isn't less powerful than some midrange amphibic strobes. For macro work you even get a very strong guide number due to the zoom reflector. I think the tele-guide number is around 58 (on land)? For comparison, small/medium amphibic strobes deliver something around 22 (measured on land).

Different story for wideangle when the zoom reflector is in its wideangle position. Compared to a decent amphibic strobe guide number, angle of coverage and color temperature aren't good.

Handling is somewhat limited. Depends on the strobe housing too. Even if the strobe housing allows full manual strobe control (Subal for example) - it's not as easy as tunring the bigger knobs on an amphibic strobe.

It gets quite uncomfortable if you want to add a second strobe later. Two housed system guns are heavy, very expensive and won't deliver more light than a small and decent amphibic strobe for far less money.

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:36 AM

Jolly

put it well, but to add my bit - in an ideal world it would be lovely to have:

A ttl macro set-up based on two housed Canon flash guns which give ease of use, power and good macro lighting. (you may need different flash connectors (S6) to take advantage of the Canon units in a housing).

A wide-beam underwater flash unit for wide-angle use - with multi power settings for manual use.

Unless money is no object somewhere there is a compromise - reasonable power, reasonable beam angle, acceptable price!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#4 Jez_Tryner

Jez_Tryner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:28 AM

been reading your posts, one thing i do have to say about the 580 ex in a housing is i was looking into it very seriously and came to these conclusions, one , the 580 ex won't expose my sea and sea 90dx correctly in slave ttl ,(the 550 does flawlesly , don't ask me why, two, it's seriously negative and will play hell with your bouyancy when you hold a position for a long time and three i was only looking for a ttl trigger flash so i could use my 90dx as a slave , so i came to a coupe of choices a 220 in a housing a 550ex in a housing, a sea and sea 55 e-ttl strobe or some form of iklelites i-ttl that i know nothing about but have seen and also seen the results , wasn't impressed but it could have been the photograpahers, they were a bit all over the shop , let me know if someone has a better soloution ,i really want ttl , wasn't bothered until i borrowed someone 550ex in a housing and tried it , faultless on the 550 ex canon,one less thing to think about !
Canon 5d mkII + Canon 10D, Sea and sea housings, 2xInon z-240 + 2xSea and sea ys-90dx, sigma 105mm, 50mm, 12-24mm Canon 17-40mm, Tokina 10-17mm.
Komodo diving - Bali diving - Burma diving - Maldives diving - Sulawesi diving - Raja Ampat diving.