• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

I decided to launch a little DIY project and fit the Woody's diopter on the Aquatica macro port because I am a little envious of Rand's tight macro shots and didn't want to pester Blake and distract him from the more important task of a 5D housing.

It turned out much easier than I thought it would be. Here's a short summary of the steps:

1. Get rid of the soft plastic cup that came with the original, its much too small for the Aquatica port.

2. In its place slip in a hard plastic disc that will align the lens at the center of the port.

3. Glue the pieces in place.

4. Mount with rubber band and Velcro strap. Given how light it is, I don't think anything more is needed.

First I apologise for not having the foresight to take photos of the parts before gluing it together, but it's simple and pics of the finished product should be enough to illustrate the process.

Here's the fitted diopter looking in from the "water" side.
Posted Image

Here's the view from the port side.
Posted Image

The ABS plastic disc that's fitted to the slot in the lens has outer diameter 4 3/4 inches and inner diameter 3 1/4 inches and is 1/8 inch thick ( apologies for the units, you'll have to do the conversion to civilized measures yourself ). It was cut in halves for assembly and glued together with the pieces on both sides of it.

Here's a closeup of the edge
Posted Image

Here're views of the nano Pocket Woody with the port.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pieces used to glue it together are cut out of a ring of the same material that's 1/4 inch thick and 3 1/2 inch inner diameter and 4 4/3 inch outer diameter.

Total cost of the project is around $35 not counting the cost of the lens itself, most of it is labor at the local shop, Tap Plastics, for making the parts.

The way things fit together, it would be easy to stack multiple ones of these. I'll try this out a few times first and see if that's worth doing.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

The ingenuity of Wetpixel members never ceases to amaze me!!!! :)
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

Very nice, Herb!

How many folks would need to line up to buy one for you to start mass-producing and selling them? :) (Put my name at the top of that list!)

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#4 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

What size Woody's diopter did you use? 90mm, 100mm, or 110mm?
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

What size Woody's diopter did you use?  90mm, 100mm, or 110mm?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does not matter. They differ only in the soft plastic part that is discarded in this mod.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro