#1 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

The results are in....

I haven't looked at them yet but hopefully we have some wetpixel members in there.
COngrats to all who were successful

LAUPS results

Ok just checked em out.

We have....
Jim Abernathy as the Grand Prize winner. Not sure if he is a member here but i do know that many of you know him. Congrats Jim (would be too funny if the grand prize was a trip for two on the Shearwater wouldn't it?)

Also in there...Rand McMeins, Todd Mintz, Herb Ko, Joe Belanger, and Matt Segal

If any of the other winners are members here i am sorry but as most use screen names i don't know your real names!
So if you are in there please let us know

Congrats again to all

Mike

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:00 AM

Congrats. The light on Jim Abernathy's shot is great, but he's cut the tail off! :)

But joking aside. Congrats all. The competition really attracts an international entry, including, for example, the recent winner of the CMAS World Championship Denis Palbiani. So big congratulations.

I really like Rand's plane wreck shot. That's a cracker!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

Thankyou, I feel fortunate to have placed and congrats to all those who did place. :)
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#4 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

Lots of WP members in there. So great showing and congrats.

Thanks Alex, the Zero shot was a favorite from PNG. (How come no one mentioned I should enter B/W images on a matte finish? :) )

Happy to see my rear curtain flash image garnering some recognition.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

Thanks. I'll have to give most of the credit to my model. :)

I took a quick survey of cameras used and it looks like a vast majority of them were D100's, including Rand's shot. Rand, I didn't know you have a D100 in your collection.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words. I must say that the 1st. place I got was a pic that I wasn't expecting to do very well and the one I thought would kick butt didn't even fare as an honerable mention. This goes to show you that what you think is a winning image is viewed differently in the eyes of the judges :)

Anyway, that's how it goes. Congrats to all who have placed, and, realistically, to those who didn't place. I know that I entered some dynamite shots that didn't win and I suspect that many from this forum did the same.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Thanks. I'll have to give most of the credit to my model.  :(

I took a quick survey of cameras used and it looks like a vast majority of them were D100's, including Rand's shot. Rand, I didn't know you have a D100 in your collection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The D100's was the camera that took the pictures of the print entries Herb. Took me and Rand a bit to figure it out. :)
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#8 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:01 PM

Yes, the digital entries have the correct exif for the camera used. The print entries were photographed with a D100 and posted with it's exif, why, I've no idea.

Joe, there seems to me a very distinct flavor to the Judges picks this year. More graphic images seemed to get the nod as opposed to behavior shots. Lots of lines, symmetry and patterns were present in many of the photos. All valid reasons to choose shots. Of course without seeing the other entries, it's hard to say exactly if the better shots won. But we've all got our opinions...I figured all my entries would win as well :)

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#9 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:51 PM

Congrats to all the wetpixelers that represented us so well.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#10 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

the shots that won and placed were all outstanding. When you consider that there are thousands of shots entered in each catagory, i dont know how they can narrow it down. We, like me are always going to think our shots are best. ultimately art is a subjective thing, and tastes, and opinions vary. Thats why i love these sites to see all the remarkable "works". all are winners. And now i feel better for rationalizing why my shots didnt place this year

#11 RogerC

RogerC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:29 PM

Yes, the digital entries have the correct exif for the camera used. The print entries were photographed with a D100 and posted with it's exif, why,  I've no idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we used the D100 (Kelly's) just to get the prints on the website. As for the EXIF, I'm not sure yet how to make Gallery 2 *not* show EXIF for individual images or albums. Simple human stupidity and laziness makes the world go 'round.

#12 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:22 AM

i just found out i got an hm in wide angle catagory for 'wreck of the ann' taken in the solomons with n90 nexus 10.5. If a friend didnt tell me i wouldnt have known! AKA mrbubbles. thanks for letting me know laups

#13 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

my name was listed in wide angle hm, but the picture, wreck of the ann, :lol: wasnt shown. mr bubbles

#14 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

i just found out i got an hm in wide angle catagory for 'wreck of the ann' taken in the solomons with n90 nexus 10.5. If a friend didnt tell me i wouldnt have known! AKA mrbubbles. thanks for letting me know laups

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Note that no one has been notified. They have only posted results on their Club site right now.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#15 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

oops i meant d70 not n90. Having your picture on the web site, is half the fun, but mine isnt there, unless im just missing it

#16 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

oops i meant d70 not n90. Having your picture on the web site, is half the fun, but mine isnt there, unless im just missing it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You appear right. I would email them to let them know. I know they worked hard to get things up quickly and probably missed it. It is nice to see your work in lights :lol:

Congrats none the less!
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com