2 replies to this topic

#1 Gwangi

Gwangi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:09 AM

Hi all,

I seem to be getting backscatter... What is the advice for placement and position of strobe for micro?

THe picture below I place the strobes 12" above and 6" in front of the port pointing 90 degrees downward.

I'm using a Fuji S2pro with Ikelite (gen 1) housing, 2 Ikelite 100 strobes...

Any advices is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

KL Kwang

Attached Images

• What_is_that.jpg

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:47 AM

Backscatter is not just about the positions of your strobes, but also how much water you are shooting through. The further you are from your subject the more chance you have of backscatter. The best way to get rid of backscatter is to get closer. If you used a 105mm lens for this shot, then try a 60mm.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:34 AM

If the water has a certain amount of suspended matter in it then this will show if it is illuminated by the flashes regardless of their positioning. As Alex said try a shorter lens, OR you can try making the flash illumination as oblique as possible. For the 'left-over' backscatter that changing lenses or moving flashes doesn't deal with, I'd suggest editing it out in Photoshop or similar (many may disagree, but.....).
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish