• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 12:19 PM

Anyone out there know the water temp in the Coral Sea during early January? I'll be out there for a week. Afterwards, we'll be driving around New Zealand -- both islands. Anyone know the water temp in that area? ;)

I have to plan ahead. I have a 3mm that has been compressed down to 1mm or so (it's basically a skin now), and a new 5mm suit.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 03:40 PM

hmm. can no one help me here? :blink:

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:09 PM

Google for "Sea surface temperatures" and you should be able to get temperatures for anywhere in the world.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:11 PM

http://orbit-net.nes...rg_sst50km.html

Brr! Down around NZ, you are looking at "Coronado Islands" temp - yikes!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 03 December 2002 - 09:22 PM

Coral sea temperatures are pretty nice for skinny dipping but you will need a drysuit in NZ.

Wave as you fly over PNG: I'll post a message on the beach!

#6 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 11:20 PM

hmmm.

I'm definitely not going to haul a drysuit along, I don't think. Although -- it's tempting. :) My buddies I'm going with will probably not be up for cold water diving.

maybe I can rent one for a bit while I'm there!

#7 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:33 AM

NZ has some spectacular springs well worth diving - Gin clear too.

#8 SParkinson

SParkinson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 02:04 PM

lol... it's not THAT bad in NZ guys!... top end of north island is circa 20 degrees!.. a 5mm semi will do nicely :)
Regards
Steve

#9 norm

norm

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 09:29 PM

Renting a drysuit is a good idea... then maybe you could teach one of your buddies the little tricks to dive with one. :)

According to mikeball.com, the water should be 82F in January in the Coral Seas. I have no idea what it'll be like in NZ.

norm

#10 2mike

2mike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:43 PM

On NZ trips to the Poor Knights (a real macro heaven), accessible from Tutukaka on the North Island, in Nov '00 and Oct '01, botttom temps were 16-18degC. Most locals donned a 7mm, as i did. DMs generally wore a 7mm when working versus a drysuit while off on their own. I can highly reccommend Dive Tutukaka for their flexibility, topside service and thorough knowledge. Most of their Kiwi DMs were marine biologists and were willing to discuss their research or my interests with equal enthusiasm. They have a number of international DMs on staff as well. Temperatures can vary substanially from year to year, as the australasian current dips south occasionally, depositing in the Poor Knights various planktonic forms from the tropics, where many are tolerant ehough to grow and trive, but not reproduce.

Incidentally, I bought my 7mm titanium-fleck semidry Apollo in Auckland, during my Nov '00 trip. At that time the exchange was 1US=2.4NZ (a ten year low for NZ), which made it a good purchase to begin with, but it was also on sale ... and ... the shop voluntarily tossed in a full week's rental of two tanks/dive computer/weights/BC/regs/....! In the past year, however, the NZ and AU dollars have gained considerable strength against the US dollar (see the history by googling for FXGraph). Last week, the exchange finally dipped below 1:2, but this still makes for great vacation at a superb value.

I just came back from two November weeks in New Caledonia, which might qualify as coral sea diving - certainly spectacular below, and quite enjoyable topside if you enjoy speaking french. A recent article in the journal "Science" (295:1280-1284) on marine biodiversity gives NC world ranking of 7th and 11th in terms of biodiversity and - unfortunately - threatened endemism, respectively. Dives there were 23-25degC, which I dove using a new 3/2mm w/hood/gloves/booties. Locals, wearing 5mm., were saying that normal temps for Nov/Dec are 27 and up.

There are about 15 different dive operations in NC, most on the big island. I dove with four and found service to be highly variable. With some, it was rush-rush-rush to get to the site, then young DMs who swam way to fast, and led short dives (e.g. 38min). Others were superb, including Dennis who runs a zodiac on Ouvea, and Anabella and Tawake who have the 53' ketch Harmony, which they keep moored off of Kuendu Beach, which is located 10-15 minutes north of the downtown area of the rat race called Noumea.

For reference, here in SD, bottom temps are generally 9-12degC, which i dive using a 7mm mostly-dry, with two 3mm hoods, thin gloves and thick booties.
it arrived! now waiting for the housing etc...