57 replies to this topic

#21 clownphoto

clownphoto

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:08 PM

Craig Jones introduced me to his D100 and then Wetpixel and I was hooked!
Dive Travel Services

Janet Czapski
Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing, lots of lenses & dual Inon Z220's

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Augustine

#22 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:16 PM

I found out about it through a google search when i started my job at Fisheye in Cayman in 2000 as I had no idea about UW photo and yet just scored a job doing it.

I became a strong follower after I created digitallywet.com as a teaching resource. Shortly after I was hooked as a daily visitor after having been a digideep member for a while i saw the link everyday and followed it. So sometime in 2002 maybe.

so mixed results .. Google and Digideep.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#23 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

Eric, I added a poll to help you keep track of the answers. I hope it helps.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#24 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:09 PM

I cant remeber for sure, I found wetpixel sometime between october 2003 and january 2004. Either I saw a link at digitdeep(I know I knew about Digideep before I knew about wepixel) or somone on another web forum pointed me here. Now a'days, you search for anything related to the ocean and wetpixel is on the first page.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#25 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Eric, I added a poll to help you keep track of the answers. I hope it helps.

Luiz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We can do that? Cool. I could really use a dummies guide to moderating at wetpixel.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#26 JohnnyCastaway

JohnnyCastaway

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, Diving...

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:34 AM

The November issue of Scuba Diving Editors Choice awards has you listed as "Best dive related Web Site", so I had to come and check it out. :lol:

#27 dmoss

dmoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:25 AM

Spring of 2002..I had purchased a Reefmaster camera. First trip with it convinced me there had to be a better way. Did a search, found Wetpixel, haven't looked back.
David
Canon 5D, Ikelite

My Flickr Photos

#28 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

I first heard of Wetpixel when Eric did a presentation at one of the underwater photography clubs I belong to. Or it might have been the Wildlife Photographers of Silicon Valley (mostly uw photographers). I lurked for awhile, then finally got serious and joined when I decided it was time to go digital in 2004 sometime.

Kathy Mendes
http://www.divermaiden.com
Nikon D300 with 60 mm & 16 mm lens, SEA&SEA Housing, Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes

#29 Dave

Dave

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:31 PM

Probably not well known . . . wetpixel started and moderated steve's UW forum...Phil Askey onced asked us to move the UW forum over to dpreview (was not a bad idea)...then eric set up the wetpixel forum. Steve has at times over the years echoed wetpixel news items providing a link back to the source. How many here found wetpixel first on steve's? Wetpixel has always had a good relationship with steve's. Steve linked to eric's palau trip and that is when I first knew of eric and soon after that got him to go to kona. I remember the hits would go way up when steve would link us, and the next day our server ISP would email us couselling us to upgrade our plan. So steve can be credited with some of the early success of wetpixel -- including eric getting involved. The rest is history. How did I find wetpixel? I can tell you this. It took several scaps of paper to come up with the name that would be descriptive but short enough for a decent domain name. I kind of regretted it a few weeks later when I dicovered there was already a site with a very similar name but the photos were completely different. I'm glad the name has stuck. I first thought of getting eric more involved when he said that he liked the name of the site -- something we agreed on. I really like what he's done with the place.
David Breitigam

#30 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

Dave! It's great to hear from you. I just spent several days in Denver with a friend, developing a new feature for wetpixel. should be live in a week or two. :lol:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#31 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:42 PM

Hey Eric, i wonder if i was working on the boat in Palau when you were there? what year was that?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#32 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

Mike -- April, 2001. Big Blue Explorer. First time with a camera in the water (Nikon Coolpix 990 / Ikelite). :lol:
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#33 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

Wow Dave, it's great to hear from you! I too discovered Wetpixel about the same time as Eric. A coral researcher friend of mine and I both bought Coolpix 990's and got the Ikelite housing to "split."

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#34 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:56 PM

Last year my fellow invert/image freak Art Anker asked me to comment on a picture Alex Mustard posted. Once I discovered all the great images & information I quickly became addicted. Now I'm a moderator (thank you, Eric!) and I get even more feed back about my beloved inverts. Life is good!

#35 martys

martys

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, photography

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:09 AM

I was searching the web for a housing for my EOS3, found UK Germany, searched for an info I could find on UK Germany 'cause I had never heard of them and found your personal site. I think then you had a D30 and were waiting for your D60 to arrive, you had it flown to Hawaii where you were there with Jim Watt. Anyway, your personal site had a link to Wetpixel and the rest, as they say, is history.
Marty Steinberg - http://martysteinberg.com or http://martys.spaces.live.com
Canon 5D / Canon 10D / Subal C10 / Dual Ike DS125's / ULCS arms

#36 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:24 PM

Ok Sherman set the way back machine. I think I first learned of wetpixel from a post by James at the Helix bb. At about the same time I saw a link for it on Ike's site also. I'm pretty much the luker (international association of lukers local 439) since there is nothing that I could ever add to the talent on this site

Stephen
Aquatica AD200/300 housing
Nikon D300
Nikon D200 Ikelite D200 housing
Dual DS 125's
Not enough glass to make me happy

Stephen Nichols

#37 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:22 AM

I'm pretty much the luker (international association of lukers local 439) since there is nothing that I could ever add to the talent on this site

Stephen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephen, believe me, there is always something you can add! I learn something new almost everyday on this site, and from all kinds of sources, not just from the experienced photographers!

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#38 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

I was a long time lurker. But that was before I decided to trade up my Canon A40 for one of those fancy 20D's.

I think I found this place on google doing a search for uw photography resources. My memory is hazy, but then again, I have a hard time remembering what I did last week.
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#39 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

When did wetpixel start? Was it after digideep? I think I was around at the beginning. I remember echeng.com and the Palau trip report. It's all a little fuzzy.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#40 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:16 PM

I *believe* WP started in 1999, but I'm not clear on that, either. I got involved in 2001 and took over completely a couple of years later.

Digideep and Digital Diver spun off of Wetpixel (Digideep, as a complementary site).
eric cheng
www | journal | photos