• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

I remember going on a dive with my motormarine II and everyone two other divers had ikelite housed digicams.....i couldn't believe how easily they were getting good shots!!

So i upgraded my Nikon Coolpix 5700 to a D70 and started searching on the web for a housing.....Google....digideep......wetpixel. And now i am hooked!! :lol:
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#42 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

I do not recall if it was google or not as this was a few years ago. I also saw Wetpixel mentioned in a magazine. Did not pay much attention to Wetpixel for some time as it seemed to focus on P&S cams whereas I have been generally an interchangeable lens cam fan, for decades. Did lurk for a quite a while before signing up and again before contributing. B)
Far better GUI than the other UWP sites, especially an SLR fan!! :D :D :D
I have been a long-timer on the UWphoto email group. However, I have been quiet there now for a number of years. :lol:
:D

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#43 bfhcreative

bfhcreative

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:28 AM

I heard about wetpixel for the first time in 2004 at the Our World Underwater in Chicago.

Jack and Sue Drafahl mentioned it in one of their talks. They mentioned something about looking for it and ending up at another site that gave WET PIXEL a completely different meaning :lol:

#44 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:20 AM

Last year my fellow invert/image freak Art Anker asked me to comment on a picture Alex Mustard posted. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Small world Leslie, I met Arthur here at STRI yesterday.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#45 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:26 AM

Small world Leslie, I met Arthur here at STRI yesterday.
Luiz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And he's probably already asked you to collect or take photographs of alpheids for him! I think he's going to join me & a colleague in Costa Rica in 2 weeks. And speaking of STRI, will you be there when I go back in February or March?

#46 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:34 AM

Nop! I am moving to Hawaii next month! ;)

#47 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:29 AM

Finally! I'm sure we all feel terrible for you, having to take a miserable job in a nasty place like Hawai'i...... ;) :)

#48 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:20 PM

Congrats on the new job Luiz.

I feel sorry for you too btw. ;)
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#49 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:52 AM

Come on everyone! Wetpixel has almost 5,000 members but we had only 47 replies and 27 votes on the poll above!! Let's post on!! ;)

#50 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:15 AM

Let's see how many messages it takes to break the board software. ;)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#51 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

OK, I found Wetpixel through a google search about 2 years ago after a very unsuccessful first outing with a Tetra 5050...
Richard

#52 Gerb

Gerb

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:58 PM

Dec 2001, I was shooting a CP995 and found Wetpixel thru a discussion on Rodales board.

Gerb
D100, Aquatica Housing, Dual Ikelite DS125's

#53 octopus

octopus

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:55 AM

I found Wetpixel when looking for advice on replacing my flooded camera :D I received great advice and since then I have mainly lurked and learned :lol: One day I hope to have pictures worth sharing [I do keep working on it!]

Libby

#54 reefdweller

reefdweller

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

I found wetpixel as a result to a web search on cuttlefish. One of the hits took me to the thread started by Al Nelson regarding the pictures he took of what he thought were cuttlefish. Turns out they were Caribbean Reef Squid.

My husband and I went snorkeling off the coast of Montserrat in May 2004. We came face-to-face with a line of what we thought were cuttlefish. My husband had been snorkeling before, but this was my virgin voyage. Despite the initial panic I felt from being so close to something unknown, I managed to stay relatively calm. After all, we had already swum with the barracuda! =)

The squid stayed in a single line formation, facing us, and behaved the same way Al described. They didn't swim away, and they let us get about six inches from them. Looking at Al's pictures gave us goosebumps. It made me think "Wow! We really were there! We really did do this!" (Did I mention it was the first trip to the Caribbean for both of us?)

Why Montserrat? I found the website for Montserrat by accident while searching for something else back in 2000. At that time, it had been about 2 years since the eruption of their volcano. This was what attracted me to the island. My husband being from England, he knew much more about it than I did, since Montserrat is a British-owned colony. Last year, I finally convinced him to go and we had the best time of our lives! We absolutely can't wait to go back! And next time, I'll make sure I get some underwater pictures. We plan to get our SCUBA licenses there next visit, too. From what I've read here, that will open up a whole new world of opportunities for us.

I'll be checking back here for tips and tricks to making my underwater photographic experiences successful.

Michele

#55 murkycoldwaters

murkycoldwaters

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

I was looking at sportdiver.com then someone mentioned this place as a great place to see about a digital uw camera. I have just read for 2 nights straight. Great site.

#56 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

Welcome to WP murkeycoldwaters - what is your name and where are you from?
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#57 like2dive2

like2dive2

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

I found Wetpixel while searching the web for info on DSLR Housings. I believe It was the Google search engine that led me to this site. I am still learning how to use this site, as I have only benn here a couple days.

#58 Andi Voeltz

Andi Voeltz

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Rollerblading, Swimming, Travel

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:01 AM

Hi, this is an interesting thread and a long story :lol: - Nice to look back...

I was introducted to Wetpixel by Uwe Kiehl from UK-Germany. Mutating into a heavy user trying to get started with a Coolpix 990 underwater just as James and Eric at that time. Answered the same question many times in Wetpixel's forum "Is there a housing for..." -> Raised DIGIDEEP.com together with Lars. Told Eric... Partnered up with Wetpixel for crosslinking and other small co-ops. DIGIDEEP.com rocketed up traffic-wise and took over my life. Not much time to post here - ever since (unfortunately).
find a housing for your digicam! oOo. http://www.digideep.com .oOo.
market overview of the essential equipment for digital uw photography