• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 jbrookfi

jbrookfi

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

One possible disadvantage of the Seacam and Subtronic strobes having non-removable batteries is the risk that a airline may refuse to carry them.

The problem was highlighted in a recent article in the German magazine "Unterwasser". IATA rules state that a diving light (doesn't mention strobes directly) must have the energy source and the "heat producing element" disconnected. Then it may be carried in hand luggage.

Subtronic have a downloadable PDF on their web site that is a reprint of an LBA (German Civil Airlines Authority) that gives an exemption to the Subtonic strobes if they are fitted with a means of blocking the switches from turning on. Subtonic and Seacam supply a plate designed to do this. However this PDF is in German and doesn't look very "official".

The Unterwasser article suggests that in any case an airline can refuse to carry the strobes. I remove the halogen pilot lights from my Seacam 150 TTLs and am prepared to argue that the remaining flash tube is not a "heat producing element". With my Subtonic mini, I would have to argue that the LED pilot is also not a "heat producing element".

One day this is not going to work and I have to accept that the next strobes I buy must have removable batteries.

Jeremy Brookfield

#42 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

"Could you elaborate on 'macro focusing and protection ring'?"

The macro protection ring is a slip on machined plastic ring (like a lens hood) which protects the rounded strobe port from damage when moving very close to the subject, as doing so risks knocking the flash front on hard surfaces. I know that this shouldn't happen, but it does, so Seacam offer the ring to protect the strobe front (I leave mine on unless shooting wide).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is meant by 'macro focusing' ?
TIA
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#43 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

Any specs on the wet diopters? Are they achromats, etc. ?  :D

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for posting this article: http://wetpixel.com/...am-wet-diopter/
Based on their thickness (from what I can see), I am guessing they are simple single-element diopters and not achromats.
Tom :lol:

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#44 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:38 PM

One possible disadvantage of the Seacam and Subtronic strobes having non-removable batteries is the risk that a airline may refuse to carry them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeremy -- this is a very good point. I've had to show that the batteries on my strobe were disconnected before they would let me check my bag. Usually, they just ask me if the batteries are disconnected (without asking), but if I had non-removable strobes and said "yes" -- and then they went in to check, it would be pretty bad...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#45 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

This is really serious, in my last 3 flights they made me remove the batteries from my Ikelite 200s. I have no idea what they would do if I told them: "Sorry, they are not removable".

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#46 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:37 PM

I know that in Tokyo and the Caribbean, I had to remove batteries from everything, both in checked and carry on baggage. I would imagine that this will get even worse as time goes on.
Nikon D70s,Fuji S2, And Misc Nikon/Nikonos film gear collecting dust.
Ikelite and Aquatica Housings
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#47 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

That is what TSA stands for right?

Take Strobe Away...

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#48 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

That is what TSA stands for right?

Take Strobe Away...

M.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHA - I thought it stood for,Trash your gear, Steal, Aggravate!
Nikon 12-24 mm, 10.5 mm, 16 mm, 60 mm, 105 mm, 200 mm micro. Sigma 14 mm. + stacks of diopters and teleconverters
Many outdated flashy thingys with aluminum tinker toys to connect them to the cameras.

#49 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:42 AM

The German's are very strict on this. And since Subtronic are based in Germany (and Germany is probably their main market) I know that they can't ignore this problem, and I think Subtronic are planning to offer strobes with removable batteries at some point.

I don't know about Austria and Seacam. Seacam's main market is the States - so it is up to you guys to put the requests in.

Alex

On a positive note. If you are ever asked to hand carry a couple of Seacam or Subtronic strobes - I find a quick stop in duty free to ask for the boxes they give for carrying bottles of wine or spirits onto the plane make for excellent strobe transporters.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#50 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:12 AM

Wow, I am surprised that this is a Seacam own electronic development and not based on something around already. So then we can expect this strobe works with every camera like an origin Canon / Nikon landgun or third party Sigma flash would? Can someone confirm (maybe Stephen Frink?) this strobes works with eTTL from Canon D30 up to 1Ds MkII and from Nikon D70(s) up to D2x? What about e-TTL’s high speed sync and 2nd curtain?

I’ve recently given an interview to the Swiss dive magazine Aquanaut on the travel issue with strobes with built-in batteries, like described here: http://wetpixel.com/...080 . So far the problem is not sooo dramatic in real life travelling but from time to time problems occur and some had to leave their strobes on the ground already. Removable batteries are the right way for travel IMO.

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#51 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:53 AM

Uhh - why must you remove batteries from strobes? THis doesn't apply to other electronics so I'm wondering if terrorists might use them as a weapon to blind everyone. Seriously, though, why?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#52 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

TSA in Hawaii told me of potential fire hazard (heat buildup) if strobe starts to fire... I thnk it is even listed in their documents somewhere...

I had to remove all batteries from my Ike strobes and package separately before they would let me through..

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#53 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

I’ve been communicating with Stephen Frinks about purchasing one of the first flashes to come in to the US. I’m some what concerned about the battery issue and have ask about the battery type ? I’m assuming it’s a NiCad which I’m not to crazy about. I much prefer MiMH batteries over NiCad because of the memory problem. I still use a 50 watt 12 volt light bulb to fully discharge my SB 104 batteries before I charge them. I’m wondering how I’ll keep the internal batteries of this new flash at peak performance If I can’t cycle them while not fully discharged ?

Marc
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#54 Chris Bangs

Chris Bangs

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

back to the battery issue. on my return trip to Japan, TSA pulled my strobes out and asked if the batteries were in them. they were not of course, but I did ask the guy about what would happen if the batteries could not be removed. the answer was quick and simple. "you would not be able to take them on the plane" the real question would be. what do you do with them in an airport that does not have a shipping service?

#55 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

I own two of the strobes made by Seacam; they rule. Look at:
http://www.elysia.nl...=view_album.php

the wide agle shots are made with my d2x, 10.5mm and the Seacam strobes
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl

#56 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:33 PM

By the way. I traveled though the US on my way to Mexico. No problems with TSA; they checked my strobes 2 times. Ok, you have to stand in que for an hour. That's new for someone from Europe.
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)

#57 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:52 PM

Great shots, I especially liked the caves. Do they work on TTL when there is 2 strobes connected?

Luiz

#58 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:35 PM

Yes they do TTL with 2 strobes attached. Seacam has new digital electronics that will do just that. This part has to be installed in hour housing, but it will work with other strobes attached (I also use sb800 en sb80dx strobes in Subal housings). So no problems there

My housing is at Seacam right now for this modification. I will have it back next week.

#59 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

My housing is at Seacam right now for this modification. I will have it back next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, let us know how it goes when it comes back.

Luiz

#60 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

"what do you do with them in an airport that does not have a shipping service?"
As I often travel with tools which are forbidden in the cabin of aircraft, and have more than once forgotten to check these in luggage, I can tell you that they go to the local county lost and found in most places if the airport doesn't have one themselves. Good luck on retrieving anything valuable.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter