• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

It's not actually impossible. You just have to get use to diving with strobes the size of small jet engines.  ;)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean just slightly bigger than my SS200s, right? :) ;) But seriously, I think I got some pretty good sun bursts even with the limited 1/250 sync speed of the D2x. The problem is knowing how well the D200's CCD will handle sun bursts.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#42 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

No sunbursts and only at 100 ISO, but this is a nice gallery of samples from the D200 in Argentina.

Gallery

Looks pretty good to me in terms of shadow noise and grain (or lack thereof).
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#43 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:38 AM

Thanks Anthony,

Apparently that link in pbase is down, but Nikon has posted some of those samples on its website here:

http://nikonimaging....d200/sample.htm

Luiz

#44 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:38 AM

I'm sooooo tired of my D100!

I've almost upgraded to the D2X a couple of times but I think I'll go with the D200 for no other reason than it better fits my budget. However, I want the darn thing as soon as possible! I called B&H to see if I can get on a pre-order list. They're not doing that. Does anyone have a good recommendation on a trustworthy online store that would likely be first in line wth reliable D200 shipments?
David
www.safanda.com

#45 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

Hi David, I think the largest stores are the ones that will receive shipments first (and more cameras). B&H usually sends an e-mail to indicate that an item is in stock, you can do that with them. Alternatively, Adorama and Ritz are taking pre-orders, but I don't know how much they are charging for it (if the total value or something else).

Luiz

#46 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:50 AM

Thanks. That's sort of what I figured. I guess I'm just being impatient. ;)
David
www.safanda.com

#47 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:55 AM

;) Blatant Plug: :) How about considering one of your Wetpixel Sponsor's :) both Backscatter and us at Underwater Photo-Tech are Nikon Dealer's.
Underwater Photo-Tech, Derry, NH
Phone: 603-432-1997, Web: www.uwphoto.com

#48 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:09 AM

How about considering one of your Wetpixel Sponsor's :) both Backscatter and us at Underwater Photo-Tech are Nikon Dealer's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that Dave ;) , I thought you guys sold only housings (and I'm sure many members thought the same). Let's buy from our sponsors everyone! Without their contributions it would be very hard to keep the site running!

#49 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:22 AM

I didn't know that Dave ;) , I thought you guys sold only housings (and I'm sure many members thought the same). Let's buy from our sponsors everyone! Without their contributions it would be very hard to keep the site running!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Luiz! <advertisement>Actually we're a full line dealer for both Canon and Nikon.</advertisement>

#50 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

Just ordered from Underwater Photo-Tech.
David
www.safanda.com

#51 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:02 PM

That's the spirit !
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#52 UWPhotoTech

UWPhotoTech

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:05 PM

Just ordered from Underwater Photo-Tech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) Thank You! :)

#53 Aaron

Aaron

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:23 AM

As a current D2X owner (but still without my housing), I am intrigued by the D200 given its smaller size and lighter weight compared to my D2X. However, as I have reviewed this great discussion, two issues have raised concern relative to use of the D200 U/W. One is the flash synchronization which appears to be set at 1/250. Not having used digital u/w yet, I have been shooting with my trusty N90s which synchs from 1/250 to 1/60. Does this set synch speed represent a serious shortfall for underwater use, especially if not using an iTTL housing? Secondly, I noted a comment that the minimal focus is 20 in. Since I shoot a great deal of wide angle, I will be using the 12-24 zoom. Is this distance adequate for this lens or will one need to add a diopter? If the latter, is this a concern? Many thanks for your thoughts.

Aaron

#54 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:46 AM

Hi Aaron,

First of all, welcome to wetpixel! The flash sync issue is important underwater for shots that include the sun on it. Older Nikons (D70, etc.) have an electronic shutter and can sync at higher speeds, producing nice sunbursts. The D2x also has a max sync speed of 1/250, but it's sensor handles sunburst quite nicely, even at these slower speeds. So, it remains to be seen if this will be a problem or not. Personally, I don't think it will, but we will know for sure when we see the D200 perform underwater.

As for your question about the 12-24, that doesn't depend on the camera, but on the lens. If a lens minimal focus is 20 in, it will be 20 in any camera. There is no such thing as a limit for a minimal focus in a camera, the camera does what the lens can do. Macro lenses will focus very close, in *any and all* cameras that they are mounted on. For a very informative discussion about the use of diopters specifically with the 12-24, check this link:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=10372

I hope this helps,

Luiz

#55 Aaron

Aaron

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:04 AM

Luiz:

Thanks for the welcome...its a great site.

As to the flash synch, I understand the concern about high speed synchs and sunbursts. I am more concerned about low light situations. When I shoot film, I typically shoot at 1/60 given that I usually use ASA 100 film. My camera will synch my strobes at this shutter speed. Presumably, if one has to shoot at 1/250 to synch the strobes, I assume you would set the ISO to 400 when shooting digital. However, with my D2X (which I have yet to use underwater), it appears as if I can actually synch at 1/60, allowing me to leave ISO at 100 or 125. I sense this might minimize digital noise, which I take to be an advantage. Am I confused?

As to the focus issue, I understand that this is a function of the lens. However, an earlier member had made a comment which I didn't understand, but as I re-read his comments, I now realize he was discussing the 18-200 lens and its minimal focus depth, not the camera. Obviously, this won't be an issue with the 12-24mm which has a minimal focus distance of 11.8in. My bad !! :lol:

Thanks again,

Aaron

#56 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:05 AM

First of all, I agree that we NEED TO SUPPORT THESE SPONSORS. I got my Subal 8 inch dome from Dave.

As for the D200, I agree that mega pixels is not a big selling point to me...I can do a 24 by 36 with my D100. 10 mega pixels is better, but I want less noise, wider DR. I think the vast majority of those who shoot with DSLR know enough about their cameras that DR and low light noise are BIG issues that they'd like to see improved. Somehow I think Nikon and Canon target a market where they think mega pixels is the selling feature. I disagree. I think the majority of Dslr shooters (topside and UW) would prefer quality as opposed to quantity. I suppose you can have that if you can afford a D2X or 5D. If Nikon could have just took the D100 and did NOTHING to it except improve DR and noise, I be happier than a puppy with six peters.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#57 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

When I shoot film, I  typically shoot at 1/60 given that I usually use ASA 100 film.  My camera will synch my strobes at this shutter speed.  Presumably, if one has to shoot at 1/250 to synch the strobes, I assume you would set the ISO to 400 when shooting digital.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Aaron,

The specification is for the fastest speed at which sync can occur, not the only speed at which sync can occur. The issue is how fast the shutter blades move across the sensor. At speeds >1/250, the shutter opening essentially forms a thin strip that moves across the sensor, the whole sensor is never exposed at one time. So your short duration strobe light will only fall on a part of the image.

There is no problem with syncing at speeds lower than this.

In the D1X, d70, d100 etc things are different. At speeds >1/250 the exposure is controlled by rapidly switching the sensor on and then off again, while the actual shutter remains open for 1/250th of a second. This means you can use very high shutter speeds to freeze sunbursts/sunrays, and yet can still get fill flash on a closer subject without shutter blades getting in the way.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#58 Aaron

Aaron

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

Gotcha...Thanks again

#59 Gwangi

Gwangi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

Just a did a quick calculation...

The cost of D200 plus a Ikelite housing will cost less then a D2X housing...

#60 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

Yes, and a D70 plus an Ikelite housing costs less than a Subal or Seacam D70 housing. A 20D and Ikelite housing cost less than a Subal 20D housing. That's what Ikelite is all about, low cost housings. :lol: