• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:09 AM

I looked on the subal site and am a little unclear on whether the zoom of this lens can be used in a housing. I have the SWB port and the 40 mm port extension but no gears are listed, should I take this to mean that it can only be used at a fixed focal length?

Subal lens and port reference for 17-35.
-julie edwards

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:45 AM

Hi Julie, I am sure it can be used as a zoom. Alex has one and can give you feedback on it. I just checked Subal's site and they do list zoom gears for it, but only in the German version:

http://www.subal.com...&markennummer=3

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, I have been using one UW since 2000. It is an awesome lens. There is a zoom gear that fits it - line it up so you can use the focus/zoom control on the left side of the housing to zoom it.

I'm not a Subal dealer or anything. So I have no idea apart the part number!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, I have been using one UW since 2000. It is an awesome lens. There is a zoom gear that fits it - line it up so you can use the focus/zoom control on the left side of the housing to zoom it.

I also use the 17-35 on a Subal housing with the larger (I think that's the FE) dome, and a 50 mm extension ring. The zoom gear works perfectly too. It's a magical lens. I prefer it to the 12-24 mm for shooting subjects like sharks that cannot be approached closely enough for the 12-24 or 10.5 lenses.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.