No replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:59 AM

Hey, guys. I just upgraded to a 100GB 7200rpm drive in my notebook, and am selling the IBM Hitachi 7200rpm 60GB 2.5" notebook drive that I used to use. This machine was purchased in July, so the drive has had very little use. 3 year warranty, with plenty of time left.

If you're still using a 4200 or 5400rpm drive in your notebook, you should consider upgrading. Notebook drives are notoriously slow, and getting a faster drive is a noticeable improvement. Powerbook G4 machines only recently started shipping with 5400rpm drives. The old ones were all 4200rpm, and this Hitachi drive benches 1.5-2.5 faster. It's an amazing difference, and I never run drives less than 7200rpm in my notebooks anymore. Also, these drives do not draw much more power than slower spinning drives.

Model :HTS726060M9AT00
ASM P/N 13N6806
FRU P/N 92P6122

$140 shipped.

If you'd like, I can bundle it installed and ready to go in a 2.5" external enclosure (Speedzter 2 Firewire/USB 2 -- not a cheapie one) for $200 shipped. The Speedzter is AC powered or Firewire/USB powered. If you choose USB power, you need two ports to power the drive. Many 2.5" drives out there offer one port USB power, but in my experience I've found them to be problematic and dependent on the machine you use them with.

If I don't sell it here soon, I'll list on ebay.

-eric
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos