2 replies to this topic

#1 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:42 PM

Hi all,

It is not very often that my scientific papers are picked up by the media, and it is always fun to see the spin that they put to it. One of my last papers, in which I describe how global warming may facilitate faunal exchanges between the tropical Indian and Atlantic oceans, has received some attention. Here is the link for their take on the paper:

http://news.mongabay.../1013-stri.html

And for those that are really interested, there is a copy of the paper in PDF format at:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rocha1/publi.htm

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

Congrats! I hope this helps you get more funding! ;)
Tom

BTW - There was a paper in the Canadian J of Fisheries and Aquatic Sci by David Welch a few years ago that forecasted the possible demise of salmon in the North Pacific due to CO2-induced global warming. :)

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

Ditto, especially on the funding side!! Soft money certainly follows media attention. In fact, I was recently told that one very large US government isn't really isn't interested in the science of the projects it supports, only whether they're news worthy or not.
Global warming is certainly making its presence felt. Along this coast the distribution of intertidal inverts is creeping northwards as sea temperatures rise. It no longer takes an El Nino to get fish here. In fact, there are established populations of warm water fish in coastal power plant discharge areas.