• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shark

Shark

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 01:58 AM

FotoLeone is selling those lights made with white LEDs : http://www.fotoleone...com/l2000_e.htm

I wondering if this kind of lightning system is great for digital U/W photography (white balance should be calibrated easily due the the high temperature of the LEDs) ?

Has anyone tried those lights ?

#2 DigiSnap Mark

DigiSnap Mark

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, electronics

Posted 08 March 2002 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the link...

I haven't used them, but have played around with LED lighting. White LED light is nice and white, with a bluish tint.

The LEDs are power efficient, but those particular lamps don't give enough info to tell how bright they are. The actual intensity isn't given, nor are the battery sizes mentioned.

I've also used the 10 watt HID lamps... nice stuff also, having the same sort of color. The HIDs are focused firly sharply, generally 6 to 13 degrees, which is great for a dive light but frustrating for anything other than macro photography. The wide angle beams from an LED array will be better for photography, but the overall intensity may seem dimmer given the wider angle.

#3 Shark

Shark

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 03:17 AM

I need something, but I don't know what... those lights seems nice for digital cameras, but if the subject is too far it won't probably be efficient...

Is a flash the best lightning system for both a macro and far subjects ?

I really don't know which one to buy (one with a pilot lamp ? one especially made for digital cameras ? a very simple one ?) and which power i'll need...

It's hard to make the right choice ;)