• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MPC

MPC

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

I see everyone is jumping on the D200 bandwagon. It looks great and a lot like my F100 which I love but just don't use much anymore since I got a D70.
My question is that I just picked up a slightly used Ikelite D70 housing back on Labor Day and still need to invest in strobes and ports. But I do not have any idea when I will be traveling to go diving, the season here in NJ is pretty much done until next May.
So I am thinking of putting my D70 and housing up for sale and getting a D200 when it comes out and once the housings are available jump on one of them perferably an IKelite.Any idea when housings would be available? Any thoughts on my madness? :lol: :D :D I never used the D70 housing and it is pretty much brand new. I should mention that I just jumped into U/W digital now. Is the D70 a better starter DSLR for U/W ?
What do you guys think?
As always all thoughts are welcome.

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:39 PM

Hi,

Since you have a D70, and apparently haven't used it underwater yet, I suggest that you take it in a few dives before you make your decision. There is no doubt that the D200 is an improvement over the D70, but if you like the D70, and if it serves your purposes, I don't think there is any reason to upgrade.

Also, nobody knows how the D200 will behave inside a housing (or on land, since nobody has one yet). As far as housings go, I think it will take at least 3 months after delivery of the first cameras for the first housings to start shipping, so March 2006 the earliest. Just my $0.02.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:48 PM

I have a D70 with an Ikelite housing that I use underwater. And I have a D2X that I use topside.

That said, I have no plans to house the D2X because I think the D70 works just fine underwater where, for me, the limitation is the clarity of the water.

In fact, after the last hurricane, with nothing else to do, I walked 10 miles or more for 3 days with my camera in hand. And guess what camera I took? Yup. My D70 'cause it was easier to lug around.

First 9 rows D70 with 18-70mm lens, last 5 D2X with 70-200mm lens.

http://www.peterpete...icane_wilma.htm
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery