8 replies to this topic

#1 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:35 PM

I leave in the AM for a 5 day trip on The Islander out of SD. This time of year the weather can be an issue but the large females may be there. Got 2 storm cases filled-with subal f5 housing with all those lens and a nikonos set up and a sony 3 chip vidieo in and Ike housing. My main lens is the 17-35 zoon 2.8. Got some great manta sea snake slides with that set up in Indo this past spring. I'm bring a dry suit and wet suit.
What lens on the Nikonos does anyone recomend? I have the 15-20-28. I rarley shoot that junk anymore??They hang tuna about 15 feet away. seems like thats to far for the 15 to fill the frame??. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:19 PM

I shot film with the WS once in S. Australia. Though you may not get many good chances probably all of your keepers will be with the 15 mm. The vis is probably going to be better at Guadalupe and the 20 mm may give you good shots as well.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 jdaley

jdaley

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

I was at Guadalupe a few months ago and I was using the Nikon 12-24 on my D100. Most of the time I was working at the 24mm end of the lens, however I was grateful for the zoom capabilities the few times the action moved right up to the cage.

If was going to shoot with a Nikonos V I would probably opt for the 20mm. If I was going to use a film camera in a housing I would probably go with the 17-55 2.8.

Shooting GWS from a cage is like standing in line at the DMV. When you are in the left cage the action is in front of the right cage. If you move to the right cage the action moves to the left. If you use the super wide lens the action stays away, if you change lens, well you get the idea.

The best tip I can give about shooting GWS from a cage is spend as much time as possible in the cage. Although the action may appear to be away from you it will eventually come your way, just be ready it will probably be fast.
Nikon D2Xs, Subal Housing, Nikon 10.5mm, 16mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm and 105mm Micro, Dual Inon Z-220, Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro

www.clickndive.com

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:36 AM

I think that the 17-55mm is a DX lens and won't work on a film body.

I have seen many nice Guadaloupe shots shot on digital with the 12-24mm there. So the 17-35mm on film would be a good choice.

Generally with the Nikonos I'd say go wider. Going wider might mean that you get less keepers on the dive, but when the action comes in very close you will have the ideal setup. And the clearest images will come when the subjects are closest. I guess it is a choice of whether you want lots of good shots (longer lens) or fewer excellent shots (wide lenes). I'd go for the 15mm.

I'd also suggest trying some unusual lenses there. Just about every photographer and his monkey have been there this year or last. So there are no lack of shots. I think if you can try some more unusual lenses you might be able to produce something more original.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6167 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:09 AM

Try the 60mm, get that face portrait from way up close!

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:26 AM

Hello,

I was in Guadelupe on a 7 day trip 4 weeks ago, I shot a Nikon F100 with the 17-35mm. this was the right lens. Jdealy is right it always seems that you are standing on the wrong side of the cage or in the wrong cage. I had 2 days in wich I couldn't make 1 shot !!!!! :lol:
You also have too change ASA, in the morning or afternoon you can use 200-400 ASA and middays 100 ASA will do.

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#7 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:33 AM

I have to say I mainly shot the 17-35 (D100 Body). Used the 12-24 a couple of times and sadly never even mounted the 10.5. These were taken with the 17-35.

FYI if you get a chance to choose what cage you go in look how the tide is running. We noticed the sharks tend to hit the bait that is being pushed farthest from the cages.

Attached Images

• sbsave3.jpg
  • sharkinhale2.jpg

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

That first one is just a really nice shot. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#9 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:34 PM

Alex, funny you say that, it is a Magic Filter shot. After the trip I broke down and bought CS2 this is one of my first attempts at correction.