Should I crop the divers legs?

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

Hi Rick,

I think that if you crop you will loose too much of the gorgonians, wich give a nice feeling of movement to the image. So, no, I wouldn't crop.

Now, for next time, try to isolate your subject a little more. I find the background somewhat distracting in this photo.

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

I find the background distracting as well. I think that at least part of it is the overexposed sand.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

Nice effort.

Look, this image is probably not going to win a international contest or find it's way to the pages of National Geo but it does have some things to commend it. It has a nice feel to it and a good balance of strobe and available light. You need to bring down your overall exposure - it's too hot - emphasize your main subject and eliminate the distracting background elements. Cropping isn't going to help, you need to shoot a better image.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#5 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:42 PM

I agree with Larry's comments. If you 're shooting in manual mode, try turning down the aperture, and possibly the intensity of your strobes a tad to avoid overexposure. If your're shooting in automatic or P mode, use the exposure compensation instead (the +/- button, turned down to say -0.7 or -1.0).

Also, try to get lower to get an upward angle for a more pleasing composition... but be careful not to damage the reef in the process.

Good luck,
Mat

#6 saylrmen

saylrmen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:08 AM

thanks for all the feedback - it is greatly appreciated!

#7 Photobeat

Photobeat

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Top Side photography also, Compete in Triathlons, former professional drummer

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

Just to add - upward or at least even angle would be better, the main issue is what is the subject. The fish or the nice background. The subject should be the main focal point and fill the frame. I often try to find a nice background (negative space) and hope something enters the area. I would crop a lot - In fact a quick photshop edit for you, I made the fish bigger like you would be closer what do you think?

Attached Images

• edit2.jpg

Aquatica Housing - D100 - 10.5dx - 17-55DX - Nikonos 105 strobes - TLC arms