Fins for photographers

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#61 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

I took Drew Wong's suggestion and tried out a pair of Vortex V6 on our recent trip to Malaysia. Having only used Mares Quatros before it was a revelation. There was a whole lot less resistance on the foot, but after a couple of dives I had the flutter kick down and I was moving faster than I ever did with the Quatros. Even chasing schools of barracoota in a current that had all 8 divers in the group going backwards (yes even those with Jets), I was able to keep up and nail a few shots...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#62 Nazaar

Nazaar

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

Depends on what you want to do I guess, but I wouldn't be taking a set of split fins into a cave or a wreck. If you want straight line speed, why not go for a set of freediving fins? I've dived with a few people using them for 'normal' diving, and in open water they're very impressive!
Canon 7D in Aquatica, 11-16, 60, 17-70.

#63 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

Just back from observing divers in numbers at DEMA and from this I would advise: Before you alter the pitch of the prop, tune the motor!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#64 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

I have used freediving fins, and they are faster.

But I tried them in the Galapagos, and they were not the pair to use.

for all of the speed advantages, the disadvantages were great.
First, the fins were like a big sail in the current
second, the extra drag because of the scuba tank and the camera systems practically negated any speed advantage you may get.

I will have to try the fins in a different environ without the current running.
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage

#65 Nazaar

Nazaar

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

second, the extra drag because of the scuba tank and the camera systems practically negated any speed advantage you may get.

Umm, wouldn't that be independent of the fins you use though, and therefore having a faster fins would be beneficial in offsetting the drag?
Canon 7D in Aquatica, 11-16, 60, 17-70.

#66 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

the drag would be the same independent of the fins, but in the fast current at Wolf and Darwin, I was just getting pummeled. I switched to split fins and it was much more manueverable and useful.

again, i will have to try them out in much more gentler environs :guiness:
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage

#67 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

Ever tried the fullfoot Mares Avanti Quattro Power? Not as long as free diving fins, but longer than normal ones. Much better than the Mares Quattro. Excellent in fast current. Only problem is really difficult to find them since Mares seems to have stopped manufacturing them, so it would be left over stock. I am keeping 2 spare pairs in the safe!

#68 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

. I am keeping 2 spare pairs in the safe!

Can i buy a pair?!?!?!?!? ;)

i just tried to get some and couldn't find any.... :guiness:

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#69 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:48 AM

Just seen a sample pair of new Excel full-foot fins (with longer blades) that do the same job. So wait a few months for Mares to get stocks.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#70 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

Mike

My Malaysian friend found 10 pairs of Mares Avanti Quattro Power for myself and some of my friends in the Maldives earlier this year from the biggest dive shop in Penang, Malaysia. I cannot remember the name of the dive shop but they still had 4 or 5 pairs left after we bought them a few months ago and nobody was buying them, so the shop was really happy to get rid of the slow moving stocks! Will try to find out the name of the shop, but if you have any friends in the area, it's worth asking them to check.

J

#71 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

Mike
http://www.scubaland...r_P4456440.html
http://www.gbuwhshop...p;productid=187

Was just looking at Google. These two websites seems to suggest they still have stock of the Mares Avanti Quattro Power

#72 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

Hey Eric, post that sequence to show everyone what we thought of Norb's fins... or should I say Norb's bizarre way of wearing fins!

#73 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

Personally I've never worn and would never wear split fins. I know fins are a very personal decision but I've noticed I can always out-swim a diver wearing splits in a current while wearing my Cressi Master Frog fins, the ones I've worn on 90% of my dives. Plus I feel blade fins are better for photographers because the "blade" is easier to "feel" as far as position in relation to the bottom. I've seen photographers in split fins and if they have floppy tips on their split fins they can easily contact the bottom without the photographer even being aware of the position of the tips of the fins. Although divers who wear split fins have told me they are easier on the ankles.

Here is an excerpt from the new NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) Diving Safety Board Meeting of Jan 2007 results:

"7. Prohibit the use of split fins for diving when heavy exertion may be required and/or when wearing a drysuit."

It has now been implemented.

Just interesting data that is now protocol for some of the better trained divers in the US,

Carol

Edited by seagrant, 11 March 2007 - 07:21 PM.

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#74 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hey Eric, post that sequence to show everyone what we thought of Norb's fins... or should I say Norb's bizarre way of wearing fins!

Here you go:

1. Norb's wonderful fin-wearing technique:

Posted Image

2. See the attached image (too large for embedding) for a blow-by-blow I like to call, "Graham Abbott vs. Norbert Wu." :)

Attached Images

• grahamabbott_vs_norbertwu.jpg

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#75 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

That's hilarious Eric and Graham!!

What do you think NOAA's safety board would think of Norb's way of wearing fins? Maybe there is a secret propulsion technique going on there we should all know about and adopt?? :)

Thanks for the blow by blow!

Carol :P

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#76 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

dooh, nevermind... responded to 3mos old post...

Edited by pakman, 11 March 2007 - 10:50 PM.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#77 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

... I've seen photographers in split fins and if they have floppy tips on their split fins they can easily contact the bottom without the photographer even being aware of the position of the tips of the fins...

I dive regularly with several very experienced divers who wear Biofins (heavy split-fins), and they really have a hard time hovering in photo situations without their fins migrating downward and kicking up silt/sand. Since they provide very little thrust at "stopped" speeds (i.e., when you're not swimming), it seems easy to unconsciously keep kicking with little apparent result. I don't know about other split fins - those that are wider (have more flat "fin" surface area) and aren't as heavy might be less of a problem. I'll stick with my Force Fins, which are VERY effective in tight spots with little kicking - just slight flicks of the fin with knees bent.

As I stated long ago (when both I and this thread were much younger :) ), I use two different pairs of Force Fins - Tan Delta's when I don't anticipate ripping currents (e.g., Caymans, Lembeh, etc.), and the longer Tan Delta "Extra" Force Fins when I expect lots of current (e.g., Cocos, Galapagos, Komodo, etc.). They may look funny, but I haven't seen anything easier on my feet (no blisters), my legs (little or no cramping because all the thrust/pressure is on the downstroke where leg muscles are naturally stronger), and functionality. If you are on at trip with someone who has FF's, ask if you can trade fins with them for one dive to try them out; I do that with people all the time.

Edited by bmyates, 12 March 2007 - 08:06 AM.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#78 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

I first saw Force Fins when I was a Peace Corps vol in Tonga, when visiting pearl farming consultant from ICLARM busted out his red tan deltas and told me they were actually worth the $500 he spent on them. He certainly had a much easier time in currents and doing our week's worth of underwater oyster farm work than I did with my ridiculous old ScubaPro Veloces, which always killed my ankles and took up a ton of space in my luggage. When I left Tonga I gave my ScubaPros to a finless friend and later got Force Fin Pros before heading to Honduras to get my Divemaster. The FFs drew some incredulous looks and "duck boy" comments, but I went farther, faster, and stayed down longer than just about everyone else. I also found that I could walk forward with the FFs on because they are relatively short. This meant I could don all my gear in one place and get in the water quickly--no loitering on the step or waiting for someone to pass me my fins. I also found it was very easy to maneuver with the FFs while taking u/w pics, including "backing up" from subjects (just use your ankles). And I never kicked the coral. They're also so compact that they're not a burden when traveling.

To make them comfortable, I bought the foam inserts and a pair of thin neoprene ankle socks. I think the foam inserts or neoprene booties are a must with FFs.

One caveat: the FF originals, pros, and tan deltas are pretty bad when you're swimming at the surface (ie. snorkeling), b/c the power stroke is essentially above the water. Perhaps the FF split fin and excellerator are better at the surface.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#79 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

For me it has to be Cressi Masterfrogs...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#80 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

I've used these on last two trips. I do like them, a good agility moving within close quarters, yet good power when needed, at a good price and lightweight. The sizes run small. I wear size 12 shoe, but wear size 9.5-10.5 in these flippers for a good (bare-foot) fit.

http://www.leisurepr...SFVR.html?Hit=1
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us