• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 weisser

weisser

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 09:37 PM

Does anyone know of a decent underwater digital camera that DOES NOT need a housing? I'm looking at the Sony DSC p5 but would prefer a camera without a housing.

#2 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 07:05 AM

Originally posted by weisser
Does anyone know of a decent underwater digital camera that DOES NOT need a housing?  I'm looking at the Sony DSC p5 but would prefer a camera without a housing.

... I think you're shooting for the moon.

Dedicated U/W cameras are a drop in the bucket of the overall camera market, hence the demise of the Nikonos.

Additionally, digital technology changes so fast that the engineering required to keep digital U/W up to speed, would just add to the economic infeasablility of marketing such a beast.

I think that the U/W digital crowd (and the housing manufacturers) have been extremely fortunate the Olympus has kept the physical fomat of the C-3xxx and C-4xxx cameras basically intact allowing for camera interchangability and upgrade capability within a limited # of housings.

Granted, your idea would be nice, but the market is driven like everything else in this world by profits.

:cool:

Richard

#3 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 07:47 AM

The Nikonos V's demise would lead one to believe that dedicated underwater cameras are going away. However, let's not forget that Sea&Sea are still making and selling them. In fact, they showed a underwater digital camera in Tokyo recently. One must still wonder whether a 2.1MP camera is really what they should be shooting for at the moment. Not to mention the fact tha it looks like a housed P&S anyway (like the Reefmaster DC-200). . .

[Edited on 3-11-2002 by MikeO]

[Edited on 3-11-2002 by MikeO]

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#4 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 08:18 AM

[Edited on 3-25-2002 by underwaterdigital]
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#5 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:28 AM

Originally posted by MikeO
...However, let's not forget that Sea&Sea are still making and selling them....

True, I should have prefaced my remarks. In this context I was referring to higher end digital cameras.

Sea & Sea film cameras (and the Nikonos for that matter) reinforce my point... they are a stable design that could be engineered and produced for a considerable lifespan. They don't release new models three times a year, just to stay current, as is the case with current digicam technology.

For example, I purchased my Oly C-3030 in December 2000. Within a span of 8 months, Olympus released two improved versions of the camera. There will probably be a new one any day now.

It will be interesting to see how S&S does with their digital offering. It could do very well with the same market segments that purchase their dedicated film cameras.

BTW Allan, it would appear that you have the Sony DSC P5 and the PC5 (mini DV) confused....

;)

Richard

#6 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 09:39 AM

Richard,

Actually you are right, I thought this guy was looking for a housing for the DSC PC5 mini DV.

Thanks,
Allan
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.