• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:11 AM

On Tuesday evening I took a girl to the cinema. To see the laugh-a-minute Constant Gardener. Anyway before the feature one of the adverts was for the Canon 350D and featured one of the other winners from the Wildlife Photographer of the Year.

Damn it :( . If I was a Canon shooter, that could have been me. And imagine how impressed said girl would be, if you were actually on the big screen advertising stuff when you took her to the cinema. I'd be happily sitting through the Constant Gardener every night with different girls.

So now I am tempted to switch. Not for technical reasons, but to help with my love life! :)

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:17 AM

You could just buy a 350D and win the comp with it and then use the D2X for REAL stuff.

Good luck with the girl mate.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:19 AM

Maybe you just need an Apple Cinema Display and then you could just load up your website and there you'd be on a big screen - holding a Subal - and chicks dig aluminium housings!! :(
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:38 AM

Try moving to Yap...

Then you can bitch about the love life.... B)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:26 AM

C'mon Mike, We ALL know you're a favourite with the ladies in Yap!
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#6 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:07 AM

Alex, you make your own add and pay the theatre to play it for less than the cost of a a rebel. Then you could make yourself a movie star in an upcoming bond movie. Now that's hot.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:16 AM

I could be the villan! Frying everyone with my Subtronic death ray lazer! Yeah, and my dog (a golden retriever) was called Goldfinger!

Actually I don't think I can afford to be an evil tyrant after getting the repair bill for my Subtronics today. Back to the drawning board...

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:27 AM

Or just change your exif data :(
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:08 AM

What love life? Ever since I took up uw photography, everytime a girl wants me to take her out, my replies are all pretty much:
sorry, this month I am saving money for ...... (fill in the blank: D2X, Subal housing, Lembeh trip, Yap trip, new Nikon lens, and for the next few months, new DS200 strobe, Galapagos trip, Komodo trip, back up D2X body...).
I think a love life would cost a lot less :(

#10 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

I think a love life would cost a lot less :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be so sure! There are plenty of high maintenance cost girls out there! :( :) :D

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#11 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:54 AM

Yeah - my girlfriend works on a research vessel and a white shark cage diving boat - she can be hard to please. "Whe are you taking me to galapagos again?" - "right after I win the lottery babe...I'll get right on that". Haha. j/k she's great - I am trying to get her to buy a housing for her c-8080 so she can join the club and have a better understanding of the money pit that underwater photography can be...

cheers -

- MP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:29 AM

Hmmm as a vidpert, I should move this thread to the single desperate men forum. But since an Admin (mega mod) started the thread, I'll wait for Modzilla Cheng to do this one.
Alex, moustache and your D2X with the biggest lens you can find and a SB800 at your local shopping mall, pretending to be a fashion photog. Oh wait! It only works with a canon. With nikon, you get the local tarts from the fishnchips shop. :( And I actually liked the constant gardener... Rachel was actually good in a role for the first time in her career.
SSRA30 mai pen rai, you can always be a fashion photog at the Met Bar, pick up a few rich women who will fund your lifestyle. Lots of patrons of the "arts" there. :)
Mike, don't give me that crap. I saw more than a few hot Yapese from Joseph's village. Ok so the locals will sacrifice you to the mantas but hey it beats chewing betel nut as a pasttime.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

Anyway before the feature one of the adverts was for the Canon 350D and featured one of the other winners from the Wildlife Photographer of the Year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The advertisements in PopPhoto and OP for the 300/350D always amuse me, with the high impact sporting shot that was taken with a [guessing] 400 f2.8 and 1D MkII @ 8 fps [/guessing] and the homely little dRebel and kit lens sitting down in the corner looking smug.

(And yes, I know you never see a promotional shot from a Nikon that has not been shot and focused manually, don't go there :( )
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#14 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

I wouldn't be so sure! There are plenty of high maintenance cost girls out there! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hmmm, well, generally cost of wooing a lady over here is not quite as expensive as the US but camera equipment is definitely higher than in the US so the balance is tipping toward love life being cheaper :(

Dru, thanks for the tip on the Met Bar. I know I must have been hanging out at a wrong pub most Friday nights since all they seemed to have there are old English geezers and have not seen much of female patrons of the arts!

I'll also be looking out for those hot Yapese girls next February :)

#15 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

Boi,

Valerina is definitely the hottest woman around in Feb, very horny...BUT...she has about a 15ft wingspan and is often in pursuit by about 28 men bigger than you.... :(

Thats her on the top left....

Posted Image

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#16 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:04 AM

Mike, size is not everything :(

#17 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

Alex,

your better off with only one love in your life, why

well YOU get to spend your hard earned without complaint :) on the things you love to spend your cash on.

You'll never have to make excusses as to WHY you need to buy yet another item of equipment costing the price of the family car.

It will all end when the nippers come along , as they are more important than your loved hobby,.

you will resort to stashing away the little we earn as UWP's in secret places away from the joint bank account :) "not me dear honest" a great way to build a relationship, but you'll do anything for a quite life :)

Then there will be the complete breakdown of communications between you both as she can no longer understand what the hell your talking about and cant understand at all why you need that new flash gun or housing because the one you have works. :(

she'll complain at you for always being glued to the internet on that bloody underwater photography sado's group thingy... and not paying a blind bit of attention to what she's saying :D "yeh ...mmm .. really.....what love ?"

BUT LOVE IS A FINE THING, I WOULD BE .... er WOULD'NT !!! BE WITHOUT THE BEST UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY MODEL,"complete mind reader" SPOTTER & COMPANION IN MY LIFE.

"she was watching when i wrote the last bit" :)

BEST WISHES

craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm

#18 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:11 PM

LOL - my girlfriend enjoyed that Craig :( :) :D
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#19 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:00 AM

Well, thats it..... mass ass is grass

She caught me looking at the dates to goto the NIKON Expo in london next week to see the D200 :)

I musn't get any funny ideas about that now must I :(

I used to manage a scuba outlet a few years ago, Always made me laugh :D

that the amount of Male customers who came into the shop and upon leaving said

DONT SAY ANYTHING TO HER IF SHE COMES IN... FOR GOD SAKE , SHE KILL ME. :o

Well wouldn't she notice that you have taken the money for that item from your bank account ?

NA.... ITS MY SECRET STASH.... :D , I'LL JUST HIDE IT FOR A FEW WEEKS , THEN TELL HER I'VE HAD IT FOR AGE'S...

Guys this only works if your loved one is a NONE DIVER !!!. PLEASE PLEASE, dont try this on a DIVING LOVER... she'll Twigg it straight away honestly...

If there are any youngsters reading this posting, go ask you dad where he keeps his secret WAD... and watch his face... :) .. More better, say it front of your MUM, and watch her say

HAVE YOU !!! :)

Then say... YEH DAD.. I SAW YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT THE OTHER DAY... YOUR LOADED... :D

LET THE GAMES COMMENCE :)

craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm

#20 dmoss

dmoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:07 AM

In my case...buying new toys is an easy proposition. My wife lets me get anything I want.

The catch ?

The price of a new lens...port...housing, etc is directly proportional with the price of a new piece of jewelry or item of furniture. :(
David
Canon 5D, Ikelite

My Flickr Photos