• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:25 AM

Just when I thought I never wanted to see a manta again, I may have to change my mind:

IUCN list now includes mantas and other rays

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:04 AM

Just when I thought I never wanted to see a manta again,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) :(
;)

I didn't see one today...but i did see some yesterday, and i will again tomorrow...
I never get sick of em...

Wow, that is big news to see they are on the way to being a protected species in some places. Thats great.
It is incredible to see how many of these critters are slaughtered as bycatch...

Tell ya what Drew, i will let you sleep on my couch in Feb if you want to see 30 having a big group shag....

:)
M

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

It now means that you can enter your manta shots in the Endangered Wildlife category of the WPOTY competition, Mike.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:24 AM

Alex....I like you! Never thought of that angle

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:48 PM

This is very good news. Does anyone know how effective an IUCN listing can be (in terms of generating support for CITES listing as an endangered species, for example?

As the report states, it's true that Indonesian fishermen still regularly take mantas. This is a big problem at Lamalera (West Flores), where the artisanal (traditional gear) sea hunters often take mantas when they can't get a small whale or dolphin - it's difficult to say which is worse. There is also an emerging export market to China for the gill rakers, which is a potentially devastating development.

The manta population in Komodo National Park is in pretty good shape, numbering about 100 individuals (though it's unclear if this is a quasi-permanent population or just the usual number). It's not uncommon to see mantas with broken off harpoon heads or other fishing gear. And the small resident group at Nusa Penida (near Bali) is there every day, and very friendly.

Frogfish

Manta under cliffs at Manta Point, Nusa Penida, Bali, taken with Magic Filter, November 2005.

Attached Images

• DSCF8203_TAG.jpg

Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.